Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Maneuverability of toy hauler vs class A DP
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  All

> Maneuverability of toy hauler vs class A DP

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev
Y-Guy

Tri-Cities, WA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/11/18 04:34pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I went from a 39' Toy Hauler to my current Motorhome along with trailer for our ATVs, the difference in getting into the exact same sites was night and day. The motorhome and trailer was a breeze. While it's not a DP it's close enough for me to feel confident in my opinion.

2007 Winnebago Sightseer 35J
2007 Four Winns Horizon 190
2011 Jeep Wrangler Sahara Unlimited

Passin Thru

N VA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/11/18 07:55pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

6 of one and 12 of tother!

dubdub07

Colorado Springs

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/17/18 05:07pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Ivylog wrote:

I. I would rate a 5er the worst for maneuverability and a TT better and a MH the best. The problem with a 5er is it does not track as well as a TT...it cuts the corner while the rear overhang of a TV makes a TT follow the TV better.

Occasionally with a MH I've had to do a two point turn... you star the turn too late requiring you to back up a little before finishing the turn. This lets you make a turn even a TT could not make.

Doing something wrong then, the FW is much easier than a TT. Class A is super easy....

WW

2013 Fleetwood Discovery 40G
TOADS: 2012 Jeep JK Rubicon, 2016 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk, 2013 SHO, 2013 RAM 1500 Longhorn (not a toad) American STEEL = American profits
RET USAF MSGT (26yrs) and still DoD ATC.
DW,DS,DD in the MH w/Westley the killer PUG!

Mile High

CO

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/17/18 07:43pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

dubdub07 wrote:

Ivylog wrote:

I. I would rate a 5er the worst for maneuverability and a TT better and a MH the best. The problem with a 5er is it does not track as well as a TT...it cuts the corner while the rear overhang of a TV makes a TT follow the TV better.

Occasionally with a MH I've had to do a two point turn... you star the turn too late requiring you to back up a little before finishing the turn. This lets you make a turn even a TT could not make.

Doing something wrong then, the FW is much easier than a TT. Class A is super easy....

WW
I would have to disagree - the 5th wheel is a nicer tow, but maneuverability is not as good as a TT.

2013 Winnebago Itasca Meridian 42E
2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara Towed

dubdub07

Colorado Springs

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/17/18 10:38pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Mile High wrote:

dubdub07 wrote:

Ivylog wrote:

WW
I would have to disagree - the 5th wheel is a nicer tow, but maneuverability is not as good as a TT.

Apples to apples, same length TT versus FW, say 30FT TT and a 34FT FW, I will take the FW all day over a TT for backing into a space. The only thing more difficult is the height of a FW. Pretty tall versus a TT.

Doesn't really matter now, I will take a 40+ft Class A over anything for maneuverability.

WW

Mile High

CO

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/18/18 07:58am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

dubdub07 wrote:

Mile High wrote:

dubdub07 wrote:

Ivylog wrote:

WW

Apples to apples, same length TT versus FW, say 30FT TT and a 34FT FW, I will take the FW all day over a TT for backing into a space. The only thing more difficult is the height of a FW. Pretty tall versus a TT.

Doesn't really matter now, I will take a 40+ft Class A over anything for maneuverability.

WW
It's not the length as much as the pivot point. You can reach a specific turn angle in a much shorter length with a TT than you can with a 5th wheel. On one hand that makes the TT easier to park in a campground, but on the other hand the slow response of the 5th wheel to the action of the tow vehicle is what makes them so nice and stable to tow.

I'm with you though, after having TTs and 5th wheels, my favorite for travel and maneuverability is the Class A.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  All

> Maneuverability of toy hauler vs class A DP
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS