Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Keystone Cougar HC design flaw with rear cabinets.
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  Modifications and Accessories

> Keystone Cougar HC design flaw with rear cabinets.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
sgfrye

north carolina

View Profile

Posted: 02/08/18 06:40pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

DutchmenSport wrote:

No, its not a "design flaw" its "user error!"

My current camper is the first camper I've ever had that had slides, and it has 3 of them. About 4 months after we purchased the camper, I went to pull the slides OUT. The cabinet door above the back window was open just enough to catch the corner of the slide while it was being extracted. I didn't notice the door open. A few seconds later, I heard a "crunch! POP!" and thought to myself... what the ****? It didn't take much to see that the trim around the top of the slide (the wood stuff) had popped off and broken.

Well, I'm a life-long amature carpenter that's only completely remodeled 3 different houses from concrete to tar around a chimney, so thought, Ehh! I can fix this. And I did!

But lesson learned! Ever since, we keep bungie cords on all the doors now, exactly like SoundGuy's photo above shows! Slides never get pulled in until all doors are secured now! Never! We never pull the slides OUT unless we first check behind the slides to make sure nothing is open, or on the floor blocking the path. NEVER. It's our cast-in-stone rule now!

It's NOT a design flaw. There was absolutely nothing wrong with the cabinet catch. It was user error! I should have checked before extracting the slides.

Yep happened to us too a week after we bought our TT last summer

ktmrfs

Portland, Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 02/08/18 11:07pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

WOW, you mean I wasn't the ONLY one to experience either a close call or a crunch!! Now I don't feel so bad.

2011 Keystone Outback 295RE
2004 14' bikehauler with full living quarters
2015.5 Denali 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison
2004.5 Silverado 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison passed on to our Son!

Huntindog

Phoenix AZ

View Profile

Posted: 02/09/18 03:24am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I had a similar thing happen on day one with my present TT. The bunkhouse door swings in to the bunk house... It cannot be seen from where the slide control switches are. I did not close the door. The damage was minor, and at that time the door was not really needed for our use, so I simply removed it. A few years later and things changed, and I really wanted a door.
So I came up with a solution. I installed a magnetic switch in the door jamb/hinge side of the door. Almost impossible to see even when looking for it. Ran the low amperage wires over to where the switches were, and installed a 30 amp relay. Now the slide will not activate when the door is open.
The actual install was pretty easy. The planning took a little brain power.
With some thought, I bet this fix can be adapted to just about any door in any RV. I know I will do this in my future ones,
The cost was less than 5.00 ordering the parts from China off of Ebay.

Huntindog
100% boondocking
2010 Palomino Sabre 30 BHDS
84 gal. Grey. 84 gal. Black
2 bathrooms, no waiting
2011 Silverado CC DA big dually.

RandACampin

Kathleen, Georgia

View Profile

Posted: 02/09/18 03:53am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

kbooky wrote:

I have a 2014 Keystone High Country 321 RES Travel Trailer.

There is a design flaw in the rear cabinets. Should one of the cabinet doors open while the slides are in and you open the slide, it can catch the open cabinet door and tear the door and its frame apart. I found out the hard way.

I heard a crunch and did not know where it was coming from. The door survived, but I had to rebuild the cabinet frame. It took a few hours of time.

The easiest solution is to tie the doors together so they wont open much.

Not a design flaw. I would bet your owners manual states something to the effect of "ensure there are no obstructions or anything that will interfere with slide movement before operating".

The flaw is not in the design...

LarryJM

NoVa

View Profile

Posted: 02/09/18 04:31am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

kbooky wrote:

I have a 2014 Keystone High Country 321 RES Travel Trailer.

There is a design flaw in the rear cabinets. Should one of the cabinet doors open while the slides are in and you open the slide, it can catch the open cabinet door and tear the door and its frame apart. I found out the hard way.

I heard a crunch and did not know where it was coming from. The door survived, but I had to rebuild the cabinet frame. It took a few hours of time.

The easiest solution is to tie the doors together so they wont open much.

I really don't see it as a design flaw, but just something one needs to watch and be aware of. That's sort of like saying all car doors are design flaws because if their not closed you could rip them off should you encounter any interference. [emoticon]

Larry

2001 standard box 7.3L E-350 PSD Van with 4.10 rear and 2007 Holiday Rambler Aluma-Lite 8306S Been RV'ing since 1974.
RAINKAP INSTALL////ETERNABOND INSTALL

RVhiker

Texas

View Profile

Posted: 02/09/18 05:56am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

kbooky wrote:

... The latches should be such that they need to be unlatched. Driving down the road caused them to open...

The OP says the doors were properly closed using whatever latching mechanism the manufacturer installed and the doors opened due to driving down the road. Assuming the design was to keep the doors closed when driving down the road, then of course the design is flawed.

Manufacturers often use **** inadequate to the job when building trailers. Why cry operator error when it's the manufacturer's design and install that failed?

There's lots of advice and information in forums...
sometimes it is correct.

2011 Jayco 28.5RLS; 2008 Chevy 2500HD Crew Cab; Duramax/Allison; Pullrite 14k Superglide Hitch

Lynnmor

Red Lion

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/09/18 06:21am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

RVhiker wrote:

kbooky wrote:

... The latches should be such that they need to be unlatched. Driving down the road caused them to open...

The OP says the doors were properly closed using whatever latching mechanism the manufacturer installed and the doors opened due to driving down the road. Assuming the design was to keep the doors closed when driving down the road, then of course the design is flawed.

Manufacturers often use **** inadequate to the job when building trailers. Why cry operator error when it's the manufacturer's design and install that failed?

Many, many years ago (when common sense was common) latches had a positive catch to insure they would stay closed. It is only because of excessive cost cutting that we have the almost useless devices currently used.

Lantley

Ellicott City, Maryland

View Profile

Posted: 02/09/18 06:47am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

RVhiker wrote:

kbooky wrote:

TO some extent the OP has a valid point. It's not that he forgot to close them. Its that the latch is not designed to keep them closed during travel.
Sort of like your car door opening if you hit a big enough bump.
It should not happen or even be possible.

07Duramax w/hips,12Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
H-head TPMS,BD3,K-Bee exhaust brake,RV safepower
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps
Arvika rack,BakFlip,RVLock
5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,keyless RV Lock
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

kbooky

Cincinnati, OH

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/09/18 09:24am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I would have been happy with a removable sticker on the cabinet that cautioned about this. It really should have been mentioned in the manual. Experienced RV'ers may know things like this.

Thinking about this, I think I am going to put attachments on each cabinet, to keep them from opening during transport. (There are some, that would not be a concern because they are protected when the slides are closed.)

If I built my own travel trailer, I wouldn't have these problems, but it would take 5 years to build and weigh at least 15 tons. Paying $21,000 for a 4 yr old travel trailer makes much more sense. Besides, if I built it, it would have more in common with a tank, than something comfortable.

myredracer

Langley B.C.

View Profile

Posted: 02/09/18 11:21am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

That's not an uncommon occurence. Could be due to poor factory workmanship or that they just don't work that great. Below is a photo from our friends' Keystone TT. They were complaining of problems with various drawers and cabinet doors not staying closed, and in particular a door beside the bed. The two parts of the roller catch were over an inch apart. The cabinetry work in their TT was atrocious. Their dealer tried to fix some of it and just made a mess of it. I've seen Keystone TTs at our local RV show with similar obvious bad workmanship. How can the factory let this sort of stuff out the door and how can a dealer not see it or be able to repair it?? I spent a day going through our friends' TT to fix the cabinetry problems including the dinette seating that was falling apart. Their TT was only a couple of years old at that point.

We used to have various drawers and doors open while in transit - above the rear kitchen counter, lower kitchen drawers, pantry door, a door above the dinette and one of two drawers in the slide. One of the lower kitchen drawers opened once and I didn't see it and the slide tagged it but luckily only messed up the drawer slide a bit and was easy to fix. See 2nd pic.

The problem is the flimsy, el-cheapo, dime-a-dozen roller catches that are common in RVs. Some TTs bounce more than others too and rear kitchen models can be more of a problem (like us). The solution for me was Southco Grabber catches. I replaced most of the roller catches in our TT with them. They work great - everything stays shut now. They come in 3 different pull forces. They also have a microswitch model that I used for the pantry door to switch an LED strip I mounted inside it. You can buy Southco catches online (ebay, Amazon, etc.) or JR Products has similar ones that can be found at RV parts vendors. These are trickier to install because the two parts have to be fairly accurately aligned. I used painter's tape and made careful measurements and marks.

The ultimate solution for drawers is RV "stay-close" 8400 series drawer slides from Knape & Vogt. I installed them on some drawers I built for beside the bed. They are sweet!

[image][image][image]

Used to be I couldn't even spell RV, now we own one!

Gil, Deb & Dougal the Springer Spaniel
2014 KZ Spree 262RKS, many mods (mild to wild), Reese DC WDH
2009 F250 super duty, V10, supercab, 4WD, 8' bed, Hawkshead TPMS & T-valves

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  Modifications and Accessories

> Keystone Cougar HC design flaw with rear cabinets.
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS