cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Route 4 in New Hampshire and Vermont

_tiredTeacher
Explorer
Explorer
We'll be touring parts of New England this coming September and my wife wants to stop in Center Harbor, N.H., on our way from Acadia NP to Saratoga Springs.
I don't mind back roads as long as I can find a gas station to fit into and don't have to watch for low-hanging branches.
My GPS wants me to exit I95 and take state route 25 to Center Harbor.
Center Harbor to my campground in Gansevoort, NY, continues on Rt. 25, to Rt. 118 then is mostly on federal Route 4.
Any local knowledge here about this transit from Maine to New York?
Wright and Penny
2010 Tundra 4X4
2014 Rockwood 2604WS
"Life is a cruel teacher. She gives the test first; the lesson then follows."
13 REPLIES 13

DrewE
Explorer
Explorer
'tiredTeacher wrote:
DrewE wrote:

It is not a very good way to get to I-89, needless to say. ๐Ÿ˜‰

Yeah, I just saw that. I meant I-87 didn't I?

Yes, you did--and I did as well, even though I mistakenly wrote I-91. Details, details...

_tiredTeacher
Explorer
Explorer
DrewE wrote:

Yeah, I just saw that. I meant I-87 didn't I?
Wright and Penny
2010 Tundra 4X4
2014 Rockwood 2604WS

DrewE
Explorer
Explorer
'tiredTeacher wrote:
s1214 wrote:
Route 4 in Vermont is a major east/west trucker route. There should be no issues either with grades or traffic.

Thanks so much. My GPS wants me to get off US 4 at Ft. Ann and take rt.149 to pick up I89 at Queensbury. Is 149 a good way to get from US4 to I-89?

Thanks again,
Teach

It is a fine way to get to I-91, one of the standard routes. I've gone over that stretch of road more times than I care to count (going to and from college, among other things). The little half-mile or so stretch of US 9 in Lake George between 149 and the interstate can be rather congested, but it's short and it's not really a bad road, just busy and slow with lots of pedestrians going to the various outlet stores.

_tiredTeacher
Explorer
Explorer
s1214 wrote:
Route 4 in Vermont is a major east/west trucker route. There should be no issues either with grades or traffic.

Thanks so much. My GPS wants me to get off US 4 at Ft. Ann and take rt.149 to pick up I89 at Queensbury. Is 149 a good way to get from US4 to I-87?

Thanks again,
Teach
Wright and Penny
2010 Tundra 4X4
2014 Rockwood 2604WS

loggenrock
Explorer
Explorer
FYI - nice Irving fuel stop just east of Meredith on Rte. 25 - should be a fairly easy in/out even towing, plus they tend to have fair fuel prices. Also another large access Irving and a Mobil at the jct. of Rte 104 and I-93 (exit 23) in New Hampton - even better fuel pricing, usually. Fuel there and don't worry about fuel until Rutland, VT - that's only a bit over 100 miles. ST
Two and a hound in a 2015 Coachmen Prism "B+"...pushed by '09 Suby Forester
First 50 done, working on the second pass! Nunavut - we'll see...!
2005-2015 Roadtrek 190P
1993-2005 Northstar Soft-Side TC
1989-1993 Backpacks & Tents!
1967-1977 Family TT's

s1214
Explorer
Explorer
Route 4 in Vermont is a major east/west trucker route. There should be no issues either with grades or traffic. You just need to be attentive to other traffic and you should be fine.

As it has been stated there are some roads in Vermont that you should stay away from. 108, 17, 73, are just some of them which cross over the mountains and are twisty narrow. 4 and 9 go thru the larger passes. While there are grades, they are much better roads.

DrewE
Explorer
Explorer
'tiredTeacher wrote:
DrewE wrote:
US4 should not be any real problem.

I see this goes past Killington. How steep are the grades on US 4?

They never struck me as excessively steep. There are some hills, to be sure, but nothing that should present any real problems, and none that go on for miles and miles and miles. Large trucks use the route every day. I'm afraid I don't have a concrete answer, though, like a percent grade or some such.

I would suggest staying away from, say, VT 17 through the Appalachian Gap or (especially) VT 108 through Smuggler's Notch. Most years there are a couple of semi trucks that get themselves wedged in between the rocks on the latter route, in spite of being barred from the road as indicated by several very conspicuous signs.

bukhrn
Explorer III
Explorer III
Wow, talk about timing, I came on here to post a thread about the same area, we'll be leaving Brandon VT. in our 29 ft Class C towing our Focus on the dolly, 11-4 high if that matters, heading to Lincoln, NH., Google gives me the options of, Vt 73,100,12/107,to I89 to US 4 to NH 118, NH 25 to I93
Or Drop down to Rutland and take US 4 all the way to NH 118, NH 25 to I93, option #2 is a little longer but looks to be easier.
Checked street view on a few of those roads in option # 1, they look kind of narrow is spots, including narrow one lane bridges.
anyone use either of those options?
2007 Forester 2941DS
2014 Ford Focus
Zamboni, Long Haired Mini Dachshund

justaboutretire
Explorer
Explorer
Itโ€™s not that bad. I pulled my trailer up there last June to my brothers house on route 100 in Waitsfield, Vt. I just stayed in the right lane and had no issues. Years ago I came west from Maine on route 4 and had no issues.

Bill
Bill & Diane
3 Boys, 1 dog
1DIL, 3 Granddaughters
2002 Excursion Limited\w 7.3 PSD
2003 Citation 33M TT

_tiredTeacher
Explorer
Explorer
DrewE wrote:
US4 should not be any real problem.

I see this goes past Killington. How steep are the grades on US 4?
Wright and Penny
2010 Tundra 4X4
2014 Rockwood 2604WS

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
With less than ten feet of height for your RV, just follow me and youโ€™ll be fine.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

DrewE
Explorer
Explorer
US4 should not be any real problem. I don't know how particular you are about gas stations and what you can fit into (I've only found one or two that have given me any trouble in all my travels, but some seem to have quite different experiences), but there are at least a few that are very easy access along the way.

If you take the short section of I-89 where US 4 criss-crosses it a few times, through West Lebanon, you can get off in West Lebanon and get gas at Sandri next to the interstate. A bit south on 12A there's a BJ's with a (new) gas station that also has pretty reasonable access, though not quite as nice, and usually somewhat better prices even for non-members. BJ's is not open 24/7, though, unlike the Sandri one.

Near the NY border, there are a couple of good truck stop/gas stations on VT 22A right by (just south of) the interchange with US4 that have wide open access. I'm pretty sure there are other nice open gas stations along the way, but those are the ones I can think of offhand.

Roadpilot
Explorer
Explorer
Your wife must be into quilting. When we take our motorhome from Maine or NH to Lake George we usually take 89 out of Concord up to just past the CT river and take the road through Woodstock, Killington and Rutland, then to Whitehall and down. That is not as scenic as your road but we're 45' and towing.

We have driven your route many times to see relatives in Ludlow. It's a very pretty ride and you shouldn't have issues with a 26' trailer.
Tiffin Wayfarer 25TW
15 Mini Cooper S