cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Value of 2001 Dodge Roadtrek 190 P @ 225K?

backbencher
Explorer
Explorer
Ok, I finally blew a tranny. Fortunately it was a Dodge 46RE - 4 speed auto that won't go higher than 2nd gear now.

225K miles, 2000 chassis, 2001 Roadtrek 190 Popular. 318 engine.

Decent shape, needs various repairs besides the transmission, all doable.

What would it go for w/ that mileage now, if everything works on it, if I throw a rebuilt tranny in there? Just trying to get a general feel if it's worth throwing in $2-3k in a rebuild.
5 REPLIES 5

MDKMDK
Explorer
Explorer
backbencher wrote:
Those are the sort of #s I was looking for. Fridge works, hot water heater works. Genny needs the carbs cleaned, wax seals on stove valves have hardened. I full-timed in it for years, so not pristine. Functional. I'm trying to decide whether to fix it or sell it.

So it's gone from "decent shape" to "I full-timed in it for years, so not pristine"? :S

Here are some examples of what's out there...
Used Roadtrek price examples

My 190P, 1 year newer than yours, was in very good condition overall, and I sold it last year in about a week for $20K+. It had 200K miles on it, but every system was fully functional, and it was clean inside and out.
If you really clean it up, and can find the right buyer, these things will still fetch a decent price with high mileage. They don't depreciate like other RVs. They tend to hold value better because there are fewer of them around, and the demand is still there for couples and singles out there. And they can be used as an every day driver. It's usually the size and fuel economy that people are looking for. Bottom line, it's only worth what you can get someone else to pay for it.

Good luck with it. :C
Mike. Comments are anecdotal or personal opinions, and worth what you paid for them.
2018 (2017 Sprinter Cab Chassis) Navion24V + 2016 Wrangler JKU (sold @ ????)
2016 Sunstar 26HE, V10, 3V, 6 Speed (sold @ 4600 miles)
2002 Roadtrek C190P (sold @ 315,000kms)

backbencher
Explorer
Explorer
hoosiermark wrote:
Figure out what the value would be if it were sold as is. Add the cost of fixing all the items that need repair and then determine what it would be worth ready to go. My gut tells me it would be a $10K vehicle ready to camp in and a $2-3K vehicle as is depending on what all it needs. That leaves $7-8K for repairs, selling time etc. If a tranny costs $3K and you put another $2-3K in getting in good shape, it is a risk. That would leave you a net profit for your efforts of not a lot of money. Too much risk for me and I like risk. Typically when I get into repairing used vehicles, the shocks turn into brakes also, then the U joints, then water heater or alignment. Nothing really pressing but to do it right they all seem to be in need. The question is how much does it need to attract the new buyer. Is the rest of the rv in good shape mechanically and rv wise?

Those are the sort of #s I was looking for. Fridge works, hot water heater works. Genny needs the carbs cleaned, wax seals on stove valves have hardened. I full-timed in it for years, so not pristine. Functional. I'm trying to decide whether to fix it or sell it.

hoosiermark
Explorer
Explorer
Figure out what the value would be if it were sold as is. Add the cost of fixing all the items that need repair and then determine what it would be worth ready to go. My gut tells me it would be a $10K vehicle ready to camp in and a $2-3K vehicle as is depending on what all it needs. That leaves $7-8K for repairs, selling time etc. If a tranny costs $3K and you put another $2-3K in getting in good shape, it is a risk. That would leave you a net profit for your efforts of not a lot of money. Too much risk for me and I like risk. Typically when I get into repairing used vehicles, the shocks turn into brakes also, then the U joints, then water heater or alignment. Nothing really pressing but to do it right they all seem to be in need. The question is how much does it need to attract the new buyer. Is the rest of the rv in good shape mechanically and rv wise?

MDKMDK
Explorer
Explorer
If everything works, and it's in immaculate shape inside and out cosmetically, and the drive train is fully functional with no leaks or other shortcomings, and you can wait for the right buyer, it would probably be worth fixing the transmission, as you should easily be able to cover that cost. If, on the other hand, the paint is faded/crazed, it's got any corrosion underneath or surface rust, it looks worn out and tired inside, the upholstery is ragged and the carpets are crunchy, and the furniture is scratched or damaged, probably not worth it.
It has to look "showroom", because that's what gets the interest ball rolling with potential buyers. If a high mileage vehicle looks quite a bit newer than it is, a buyer may be willing to accept some mechanical or other shortcomings.
Mike. Comments are anecdotal or personal opinions, and worth what you paid for them.
2018 (2017 Sprinter Cab Chassis) Navion24V + 2016 Wrangler JKU (sold @ ????)
2016 Sunstar 26HE, V10, 3V, 6 Speed (sold @ 4600 miles)
2002 Roadtrek C190P (sold @ 315,000kms)

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
At a scrap yard? Seriously it’s 17 or 18 years old! The Smithsonian might be interested...
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad