cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Blue Ridge Pkwy closure

More_To_See
Explorer
Explorer
The 7 mile stretch at the Linn Cove Viaduct of the Blue Ridge Parkway be closed for repairs from March 1st 2018 till Memorial day weekend for road and bridge repairs. This closure includes the nearby hiking and cycling trails.

I would assume the road will have a detour route around it but for hikers and cyclists might be worth a check.
95 Winnebago Vectra 34 (P30/454)
3 REPLIES 3

scrubjaysnest
Explorer
Explorer
BRPW closures real time here BRPW closures
Axis 24.1 class A 500watts solar TS-45CC Trimetric
Very noisy generator :M
2016 Wrangler JK dinghy
“They who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.” Benjamin Franklin

Terryallan
Explorer II
Explorer II
Matt_Colie wrote:
I must admit that I have not looked this up, but I will put this caution out there right now for those that are planning BRP in the spring.

If you know you must divert off the BRP, plan carefully.

Our situation: In the spring of 2010 we were going north (east?) on the BRP in April. We did not get the word that the Parkway was closed from Pisgah east to the next crossing and we had planned to over night at Pisgah, but the campground that was supposed to be open was not as the crew had been out on the road trying to get it open.

So, we diverted north....
The alternative was to back-track about 30 miles.
The road to the north took us off the side of the mountain. We dropped 1500 feet in less than 2 miles of map and somewhat less than 4 miles of road. This was one winding steep road. Fortunately, we only encountered one vehicle that was up-bound and that was on a nearly straight section.

So, if you are going to travel the Blue Ridge Parkway and you know that there might be closures, have your plans ready.

I still think I could have checked out our taillights on some of those turns.

Matt

Sounds like you found HWY 80. no recommended for towing.
However. you are exactly right. Knowing which road to use off the BRP is critical, Especially if you are not use to twisty mountain roads. Riding the BRP is a cake walk compared to the road you have to use to get on it. I would always suggest avoiding 226, and especially 80. 226 has a 15 mph speed limit at the top, and 80 is bad all the way down.
We use 16, 321, 221 and 181 if we have to. They are twisty, but not so bad as the other 2
Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers

Matt_Colie
Explorer
Explorer
I must admit that I have not looked this up, but I will put this caution out there right now for those that are planning BRP in the spring.

If you know you must divert off the BRP, plan carefully.

Our situation: In the spring of 2010 we were going north (east?) on the BRP in April. We did not get the word that the Parkway was closed from Pisgah east to the next crossing and we had planned to over night at Pisgah, but the campground that was supposed to be open was not as the crew had been out on the road trying to get it open.

So, we diverted north....
The alternative was to back-track about 30 miles.
The road to the north took us off the side of the mountain. We dropped 1500 feet in less than 2 miles of map and somewhat less than 4 miles of road. This was one winding steep road. Fortunately, we only encountered one vehicle that was up-bound and that was on a nearly straight section.

So, if you are going to travel the Blue Ridge Parkway and you know that there might be closures, have your plans ready.

I still think I could have checked out our taillights on some of those turns.

Matt
Matt & Mary Colie
A sailor, his bride and their black dogs (one dear dog is waiting for us at the bridge) going to see some dry places that have Geocaches in a coach made the year we married.