cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Starting to Plan Our Western Trip

jplante4
Explorer
Explorer
Leaving around the 1st of August for a trip to the PNW. We're not a big fan of interstates and I've done coast-to-coast on both I-80 and I-90 in an earlier life, so I'm thinking about picking up US2 in the UP of Michigan and taking that west. So, for anyone with experience on the road, a couple of questions.

(35 ft DP towing an Equinox in the mountains.)

1. Should I go all the way to Spokane or cut south on I-15 to pick up I-90 through the Rockies?

2. In the east, the US routes have towns and services every few miles. They're usually 50-60 MPH speed limits and it drops down in the towns. We like the way this breaks the monotony of a drive, although it makes the day a little longer. Is US2 like this or is it more desolate?

3. Cell Coverage - better or worse than the interstates?

TIA
Jerry
Jerry & Jeanne
1996 Safari Sahara 3530 - 'White Tiger'
CAT 3126/Allison 6 speed/Magnum Chassis
2014 Equinox AWD / Blue Ox
18 REPLIES 18

BizmarksMom
Explorer
Explorer
Tom/Barb wrote:
there is a section of US 2 that I avoid at all expense, That's bottom of Steven's pass, to I-5, It's a traffic mess, and crowed. speciality on a Sunday afternoon.
They end the 4 lane at the bottom of let down on the west side, from there to I-5 it is narrow off and on 3 lane and several small towns that are mostly speed traps.
I second this. Head north to Hwy 20 over the N. Cascades. Good dry camping and jaw dropping scenery. Stay on 20 to almost Anacortes, drop down to Whidbey Island, and take the Keystone ferry across the sound if your final goal is the peninsula. That keeps you completely out of the Seattle area traffic nightmare.
2019 F350 towing a Nash 22H

docsouce
Explorer II
Explorer II
This is a great road trip. We took Rt 28 out of Sault St Marie to Wakefield Minnesota where we picked up Rt2 and ran to Everett Wa. Not much to see on RT 28. Anyway, there are plenty of small towns, good roads all the way and fuel is not a problem.. As stated cell service was good almost all the way except at the St Mary KOA at Glacier NP. A couple of interesting RV parks along the way: Downstream Campground Garrison ND. It's a COE camp that has huge sites and a very interesting museum within walking distance.
The Craters of the Moon is a special place. Definitely visit it and while in Arco check out the Mountain Park RV park. The owner is from Worcester Ma. Nice guy and he serves up some great ribs. Could go on and on......
You will have a Ball
2020 JAYCO 26XD
Just right for the two of us!

richardcoxid
Explorer
Explorer
Jplante4

Where were you stationed at NRF?

I was transferred there in May, ‘64, was assigned as part of the original crew to S5G. After living here for 54 years the natives even issue me a “good conduct pass” to go through Pocatello!

Richard
2017 GMC Denali 3500 4x4 Duramax
2019 Outdoor RV (ORV) Timber Ridge 24RKS

jplante4
Explorer
Explorer
Well, we haven't gotten to planning where we'll be staying, but it will probably be on the other side of the sound - Bremerton, Gig Harbor etc - I have a niece in that area I'd like to visit. Did the Seattle/Redmond Red Lion Inn thing when I worked tech. Way too crowded there for us.

The good thing about this trip is I can completely miss California on the way back, although I am considering going through Tahoe and down US395 to get to the Grand Canyon.
Jerry & Jeanne
1996 Safari Sahara 3530 - 'White Tiger'
CAT 3126/Allison 6 speed/Magnum Chassis
2014 Equinox AWD / Blue Ox

Tom_Barb
Explorer
Explorer
there is a section of US 2 that I avoid at all expense, That's bottom of Steven's pass, to I-5, It's a traffic mess, and crowed. speciality on a Sunday afternoon.
They end the 4 lane at the bottom of let down on the west side, from there to I-5 it is narrow off and on 3 lane and several small towns that are mostly speed traps.
2000 Newmar mountain aire 4081 DP, ISC/350 Allison 6 speed, Wrangler JL toad.

ohhell10339
Explorer
Explorer
US 2 aka "the Highline" through NoDak and the boring eastern 2/3 of Montana is one. Long. Straight. Line. With grain silos!

You have to really stretch the definition of "scenery" to tell yourself that there's anything to see there. Of course, EVERY route from the Mississippi to the Rockies passes through a thousand or more miles of nothingness. The trouble with the northern route is that the Rockies are considerably further to the west, so the nothingness drive is longer.

The good news is that US 2 deposits you right at the doorstep of Glacier Park,and from there to Kalispell, Sandpoint, Spokane, Wenatchee, and over the Cascades to Everett, you have lots of wonderful scenery. My personal preference, though, would be to veer north from Sandpoint/Newport, WA and take US 20 through North Cascades NP--mountains like you've never seen and until you get to the national park proper, no competition for campsites to speak of.

jamesu
Explorer
Explorer
Most of my US2 experience is the stretch between Sand Point, ID and Everett, WA. I love the stretch heading west from Spokane across the State heading toward the Cascade Range. Eastern and central Washington here is referred to as “channeled scablands”, not desert. Coulees and basalt formations with “pothole” lakes. A unique place. That, plus miles of range, farms, and small towns.

There are two routes to the coast on this route when you reach the Columbia River-US2 junction just west of Waterville: (1) stay on US2 heading south from Orondo through Wenatchee and then up and over the Cascades on Stevens Pass to Everett, or (2) at Orondo turn north onto US97 and head through Lake Chelan to Winthrop (consult your road atlas)...take WA20 west over the North Cascades Highway through North Cascades NP to Burlington. This route is farther than the Stevens Pass route, but the scenery is awesome. The North Cascades are remote and rugged.

Both Everett and Burlington are on I-5.
2011 Chevy 2500 Duramax diesel
2019 Timber Ridge 24RLS (Outdoors RV)
Go Cougs!

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
Dick_B wrote:
My recollection of Route 2 is that the towns are spread out and there is even one stretch with a sign that says no services for the next 100 miles. There are gates that can be closed in the winter when Route 2 gets so bad it can't be used. Campgrounds are likely to be a field in back of somebody's store rather than what we are used to. They probably have electric but maybe not 50 amps. Knowing that I would take it again after stopping by Roosevelt NP.

Huh? The OP is going in August, not winter. Campgrounds aren't in a field and just like everywhere, some have 50A. It's easy to fill the tank when you see fuel, not wait to look when you're empty. Have you every driven to Alaska? 🙂
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

Dick_B
Explorer
Explorer
My recollection of Route 2 is that the towns are spread out and there is even one stretch with a sign that says no services for the next 100 miles. There are gates that can be closed in the winter when Route 2 gets so bad it can't be used. Campgrounds are likely to be a field in back of somebody's store rather than what we are used to. They probably have electric but maybe not 50 amps. Knowing that I would take it again after stopping by Roosevelt NP.
Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)

CloudDriver
Explorer
Explorer
OP -- A suggestion for your consideration. Take route 93 south from Missoula, rather than I15. A few years back we drove route 93 south between Kalispell and Arco. South of Missoula we made a short stop at Travelers Rest State Park in Lolo. An archaeological exploration of the site found evidence of the location of the camp used by Lewis and Clark on their way to the Pacific. Not much there, but interesting to walk in their footsteps. Further south route 93 passes through the Bitterroot mountains with great mountain scenery. One of the best scenic drives we have made.
2003 Winnebago Minnie 24F - Ford E-450🙂

Tom_Barb
Explorer
Explorer
2gypsies wrote:
It's a beautiful site and you'll soon see Glacier Nat'l Park in the distance.
Have a great trip!

One of the best days we have spent was the day we spent in east Glacier, taking the red bus over the highway to the sun.
Awesome is where it starts.

Tom_Barb
Explorer
Explorer
We. normally leave #2 at SandPoint Id. and take 95 south to I-90 west to #2 again When you stay with #2 you'll go down town Spokane and 90 anyway west to #2, then leave 2 again at Wilbur and north to Grand Coolee, then Brewster, and 97 north to 20. and cross the cascades on 20.

When you stay with #2 all the way, you end up in Everett Wa (Seattle) and see lots of high desert. and a decent off the high desert at Waterville to Wenatchee you'll never forget.
97 runs north along the Columbia and Okanogan Rivers, to Route 153 which takes you to Twisp. and the north cascade highway, #20 to I-5 either at Arlington or Burlington.

Dick_B
Explorer
Explorer
Don't forget Roosevelt NP. It's worth a couple of days. Find out why the Bison and Prairie Dogs get along so well together.
Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
We've done Hwy 2 from Michigan to the coast a few times a love the drive. You'll have no issues to Spokane.

Be sure to stop in Montana at Fort Peck Corp of Eng. park. The sites are very large and it's a refreshing stop. From then on heading west you'll see why Montana is called 'Big Sky Country'. It's a beautiful site and you'll soon see Glacier Nat'l Park in the distance. Sandpoint, ID is another stop you should make. Lots to see in the area.

Have a great trip!
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel