cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Potato Soup

Tripalot
Explorer
Explorer
Last week I had some excellent potato soup and would like to make my own. The one I had, had some grated carrot, also some finely chopped bacon.
With the cold weather we are experiencing, a big bowl of soup would be perfect.
Does anyone have an easy, favorite potato soup recipe to share. I looked on line and there are so many to go through - a recommendation would help a lot.
2014 Triple E Regency GT24MB (Murphy Bed) with all the good stuff
towing a 2016 Jeep Cherokee TrailHawk
Berkley, the amazing camping cat missed dearly (1996-2012)
15 REPLIES 15

magnusfide
Explorer II
Explorer II
Roy&Lynne wrote:
Well I went out and got the sour cream and made Super Dave's Loaded Baked Potato Soup and I must say it was the worst. Worst for my waist line but delicious. Thick, creamy, cheesy, with that taste of bacon. I think I"ll make another pot.

Thus are addictions born.:W
"The only time you should fear cast iron is if your wife is fixin' to hit you with it."-Kent Rollins
First law of science: don't spit into the wind.

Magnus

Super_Dave
Explorer
Explorer
Roy&Lynne wrote:
Well I went out and got the sour cream and made Super Dave's Loaded Baked Potato Soup and I must say it was the worst. Worst for my waist line but delicious. Thick, creamy, cheesy, with that taste of bacon. I think I"ll make another pot.

My deepest apologies.
Truck: 2006 Dodge 3500 Dually
Rig: 2018 Big Country 3155 RLK
Boat: 21' North River Seahawk

Roy_Lynne
Explorer
Explorer

wca01
Explorer
Explorer
Here is a fantastic potato soup from the listed source. It is very easy and quick to make.

The cream of chicken soup is very important for the exceptional taste. Healthy Valley is the best followed by Pacific Foods. Campbell's works, but is last choice.

I use an immersion blender at the end to make the soup very smooth.

Outback Steakhouse Potato Soup *
Ingredients:
1 (30-ounce) package frozen, shredded hash browns {i used ore ida} potato
3 (14-ounce) cans chicken broth
1 can of cream of chicken soup
1/2 cup onion, chopped
1/4 teaspoon ground pepper
1 pkg cream cheese

Directions:
In a crockpot, combine everything EXCEPT for the cream cheese.

Cook for 6-8 hours on low heat.

About 1 hour before serving, add cream cheese and keep heated until thoroughly melted.

Serve with cheese, sour cream, bacon bits, green onions, or whatever else you think would be good!!

Source: pearls-handcuffs-happyhour.blogspot.com

Seriously yโ€™all. DANG good. I didnโ€™t have time to make this on the crockpot, so I cooked everything stovetop style. Probably took about an hour total after everything was said and done. The hardest part of preparing this meal was ripping open the bag & cans to pour them into the pot. Yes, friendsโ€ฆit was THAT easy!!! Mr. Spouse was lovinโ€™ him some potato soup courtesy of wifey and requested that this be added to our dinner "rotation" {which currently consists of taco salad, pasta, and take out}. Yes please!!! Promise youโ€™ll love it!!! By far, one of my faves!!!!

hokeypokey
Explorer
Explorer
This recipe was used by a little country church for their โ€œfamous annual soup supper.โ€ Sadly the church has closed but the recipe lives on !

Thickening agent:
4 cups powdered milk
1 cup all purpose flour
1 stick softened butter
Blend well with whisk. (2 cups are needed but the extra freezes well)

Soup:
8 cups diced potatoes
4 cups water
1/2 cup chopped onion
1/2 cup chopped celery
1/2 cup diced carrots
1/4 tsp white pepper
2 tsp chicken stock base
3 cups milk
2 cups thickening agent
1/2 cup butter
Cook potatoes, onion, celery, carrots, pepper and chicken base in 4 cups water until vegetables are tender. Mash, leaving lumps if desired. Add milk, blend well. Whisk in thickening agent. Continue to stir over low heat until thick, adding butter while doing this.

coolbreeze01
Explorer
Explorer
That Loaded Baked Potato Soup sounds really good as is or with clams.
2008 Ram 3500 With a Really Strong Tractor Motor...........
LB, SRW, 4X4, 6-Speed Auto, 3.73, Prodigy P3, Blue Ox Sway Pro........
2014 Sandsport 26FBSL

Merrykalia
Explorer
Explorer
Roy&Lynne wrote:
Okay this looks absolutely delicious. I have everything except the sour cream so I'm going to put that on my shopping list and then give it a try.

If you have some plain greek yogurt, you can substitute for the sour cream.
2017 Ford F350 Crew Cab 6.7L 4x4 DRW

Roy_Lynne
Explorer
Explorer
Super_Dave wrote:
If I'm going for potato soup it is going to be pure comfort food, so, I'm a loaded baked potato soup kind of guy.

Loaded Baked Potato Soup

ingredients

6 large baking potatoes
1 large onion
1 quart chicken broth
3 cloves garlic
1/4 cup butter
2 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
1 teaspoon black pepper
1 cup cream or half-and-half cream
1 cup shredded sharp Cheddar cheese
3 tablespoons chopped fresh chives
1 cup sour cream (optional)
8 slices bacon, fried & crumbled
Cheddar cheese, for sprinkling

directions

Peel the potatoes and cut into half-inch cubes. Chop the onion into a medium dice. (Note: sizes of onions vary greatly so adjust the recipe accordingly to your preferences). Crush or press the garlic.

Add the potatoes, onion, broth, garlic, butter, salt and pepper to the crock pot. Stir gently. Cover, cook on high for 4 hours or low for 8 hours or until potatoes are tender.

When potatoes are tender, mash the mixture with a potato masher or a large wooden spoon until chunky but not completely mashed.

Stir in the cream, Cheddar cheese, and chopped chives and heat through (15 more minutes or so).

To serve, ladle soup into individual bowls and top with a dollop of sour cream, crumbled bacon, and additional shredded cheese, if desired.

Okay this looks absolutely delicious. I have everything except the sour cream so I'm going to put that on my shopping list and then give it a try.

magnusfide
Explorer II
Explorer II
Super_Dave wrote:
If I'm going for potato soup it is going to be pure comfort food, so, I'm a loaded baked potato soup kind of guy.

Loaded Baked Potato Soup

ingredients

6 large baking potatoes
1 large onion
1 quart chicken broth
3 cloves garlic
1/4 cup butter
1 teaspoon black pepper

directions

Peel the potatoes and cut into half-inch cubes. Chop the onion into a medium dice. (Note: sizes of onions vary greatly so adjust the recipe accordingly to your preferences). Crush or press the garlic.

Add the potatoes, onion, broth, garlic, butter, salt and pepper to the crock pot. Stir gently. Cover, cook on high for 4 hours or low for 8 hours or until potatoes are tender.

When potatoes are tender, mash the mixture with a potato masher or a large wooden spoon until chunky but not completely mashed.

Stir in the cream, Cheddar cheese, and chopped chives and heat through (15 more minutes or so).

To serve, ladle soup into individual bowls and top with a dollop of sour cream, crumbled bacon, and additional shredded cheese, if desired.

Oh yeah. That's what I'm talking about!
"The only time you should fear cast iron is if your wife is fixin' to hit you with it."-Kent Rollins
First law of science: don't spit into the wind.

Magnus

Super_Dave
Explorer
Explorer

Loaded Baked Potato Soup

ingredients

6 large baking potatoes
1 large onion
1 quart chicken broth
3 cloves garlic
1/4 cup butter
1 teaspoon black pepper

directions

Truck: 2006 Dodge 3500 Dually
Rig: 2018 Big Country 3155 RLK
Boat: 21' North River Seahawk

Tripalot
Explorer
Explorer
Little Kopit wrote:
Merrykalia wrote:
This is the Southern Living recipe that is great.

Ingredients
4 pounds new potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/4-inch-thick slices.
1 small onion, chopped.
2 carrots, finely chopped
2 (14-ounce) cans chicken broth.
2 teaspoons salt.
1/2 teaspoon pepper.
1 pint half-and-half.
Toppings: shredded Cheddar cheese, crumbled bacon, green onion slices.

Cook everything except half and half until done and potatoes are falling apart. I will use a potato masher to make into smaller pieces. Add half and half and warm. Top with topping before serving.

EEEEEEEK, that much salt is a danger. Talk with a dietician who knows. Canadian government is coming up with a plan for food producers to put warnings on their products. "Cans" of anything are heavily loaded with salt.

:C

Instead of cans of broth, I would replace with Campbells sodium reduced broth in the tetra pack. Think I will try this recipe on the weekend. I bought broth today.
2014 Triple E Regency GT24MB (Murphy Bed) with all the good stuff
towing a 2016 Jeep Cherokee TrailHawk
Berkley, the amazing camping cat missed dearly (1996-2012)

Little_Kopit
Explorer
Explorer
Merrykalia wrote:

Ingredients
1 small onion, chopped.
2 teaspoons salt.
1/2 teaspoon pepper.
1 pint half-and-half.

Cook everything except half and half until done and potatoes are falling apart. I will use a potato masher to make into smaller pieces. Add half and half and warm. Top with topping before serving.

EEEEEEEK, that much salt is a danger. Talk with a dietician who knows. Canadian government is coming up with a plan for food producers to put warnings on their products. "Cans" of anything are heavily loaded with salt.

:C
& I, I took the road less travelled by.

My Photo Album, featuring Labrador 2006

craftyfox
Explorer
Explorer
I made some recently that was delish..usual potatoes, onions, seasoning salt cooked in chicken broth, used stick blender then stirred in 8oz softened low fat cream cheese. Serve with crumbled bacon and shredded cheese. It also freezes well..will separate but does re-blend..just heat slowly and don't boil. Don't use fat free cream cheese..I used Neuchatel.

Merrykalia
Explorer
Explorer

Ingredients
1 small onion, chopped.
2 teaspoons salt.
1/2 teaspoon pepper.
1 pint half-and-half.

2017 Ford F350 Crew Cab 6.7L 4x4 DRW