cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Electric issues

Explorer
Explorer
Newly purchased used pop up. AC runs great for about 5 minutes then the breaker flips. 122 volts coming in. Standard OEM cord. Nothing else running. Original AC unit on a 2002. AC cools great for 5 minutes. One split breaker, 15 amp to AC and 20 amp to the rest. 20 amp receptacle service. Breaker feels warm. Bad breaker???? What an I missing? Thanks
The manatees of Halls river Homosassa Springs Fl

1985 Chevy Silverado c10. 454 stroker / 495 CI = 675 HP. 650lb of torque. Turb0 400 tranny. 3000 stall converter. Aluminum heads. 3 inch exhaust flowmasters. 2 inch headers. Heat and air. Tubed.
9 REPLIES 9

Explorer
Explorer
slider45 wrote:
A buddy had almost the same issue due to faulty breaker unit.

Problem was a faulty cord
The manatees of Halls river Homosassa Springs Fl

1985 Chevy Silverado c10. 454 stroker / 495 CI = 675 HP. 650lb of torque. Turb0 400 tranny. 3000 stall converter. Aluminum heads. 3 inch exhaust flowmasters. 2 inch headers. Heat and air. Tubed.

slider45
Nomad
Nomad
A buddy had almost the same issue due to faulty breaker unit.

jerryjay11
Explorer
Explorer
You need to troubleshoot with a clamp-on multimeter. This guessing and could be's will cost you $$. You must first find out what amperage the unit is pulling while running. It's either going to be over 15 amps or under. Common sense where to go from there.

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Verify the size of your A/C unit. It may not be a standard full size unit as in conventional trailers and MHs. Smaller A/C units may only require 15 amp breaker.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

nineoaks2004
Explorer
Explorer
Sounds like the AC might be running hot and going out on overload. Check the breaker for the AC, breakers do get weak as they age or a wire loose, if not then check some of the other ideas in previous answers, I always check from the power to the unit that does not work. also if you are using an extension cord it might not be heavy enough to carry the AC which will then overheat and go out on overload, when checking for voltage drop or amps the unit being tested should be running. Good Luck and Happy Camping
By the time you learn the rules of life
You're to old to play the game

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
Usually air is on a 20 amp breaker. If the wire is #12 I would increase the breaker size.
Otherwise high amp draw is a primary sign the compressor motor is shot and you need to replace the unit.

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Could be loose connection, more apt to be a bad capacitor in A/C.
Open A/C control area(roof top) and look for the capacitors. About 4 inches or so by 1 inch. There should be two one for motor and one for compressor. Look for bulging of the capacitor. This could indicate it/them are shorted.
Inspect wiring for burnt areas.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
I would go for a simple fix first. Could simply be a loose wire connection at the breaker causing heating. My A/C breaker started tripping like that a number of years ago. Replaced the breaker and no more tripping. And it was a 15/20 like yours but the 20 was feeding my 15K A/C.

Mandalay_Parr
Explorer
Explorer
Suggest you find an electrical person to help troubleshoot.
Might check and tighten all screws on breakers etc.
Jerry Parr
Full-time
2005 Mandalay 40B
Cat C7 350, 4 Slides
Blue Ox, Brake Buddy
2004 CR-V Toad
jrparr@att.net
602-321-8141
K7OU - Amateur Radio
Kenwood Radios
ARRL, W5YI, & LARC VE
SKYWARN Weather Spotter