cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Thinking about converting and ambulance to an RV

Halmfamily
Explorer
Explorer
I have been wanting a "mobile man cave" as the wife calls it for awhile, something to boondock in the NF with. I want Something tough but not too big and have been looking at used ambulances on MDT chassis. Prices are very reasonable, $10000 for a 2005 with a 16' box and full service records. Most have 200000 plus miles.

My question is am I crazy to use the rig for an RV. They seem very tough, perfect size for an RV and already have battery banks and inverters. I'm thinking for less than $20000 I can have fully customized RV ready for anything.

So, what does the masses think? Give me your ideas, good or bad. Any other vehicles you could recommend.

Thanks for the insight.
2008 GMC Sierra 3500 SLT DRW D/A 4x4 (Big All)
2006 Ford F350 PSD SRW King Ranch 4x4 (Henry) (Sold)
B&W Companion, 90 Aux Fuel Tank, Scan Gauge II, Curt f/m hitch, Swagman XC
2015 Forest River Sierra 360 PDEK
DW Diane, DS Michael, FB Draco and Sabian
56 REPLIES 56

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
They are heavy and mostly used up. They get used hard. In the old days people experimented with ambulances and hearses because they were cheap. Panel trucks and vans are much easier to adapt as an RV.

GKAbbott
Explorer
Explorer
So, I thought about this some more. Most teardrop campers are home built. I see them in campgrounds all the time. No RVIA sticker. Travellers from around the world that I have? met in national parks and state parks in Iveco and Mann conversions, no RVIA sticker.

That RVIA sticker doesn't equate to quality, just compliance from a NEW equipment manufacturer.

Jarlaxle
Explorer II
Explorer II
DownTheAvenue wrote:
mowermech wrote:

Isn't a Bluebird Wanderlodge nothing more than a converted Bluebird school bus?
Isn't a Prevost nothing more than a bus converted into an RV?

NO and NO.
The WanderLodge was never a school bus....it was always a motorhome. You will not see the stop sign and flashing lights anywhere.

The Prevost is a bus chassis that upfitters like Liberty Coach make into a motorhome. A Liberty coach was never a intercity passenger bus.

Distinction without a difference. There is not a dime worth of difference between a unit that Prevost ships to Liberty or to Greyhound!

IF you are happy with a yellow school bus that someone has thrown stuff into to make a camper or an old ambulance with the gurney for the bed and people living in it, then more power to you. I stand by what I said -it screams trash. I stand by what I posted to the OP- he needs to decide what his hobby is camping or making a camper. Granted there are very few exceptions where the conversions are exquisite, but most are not. And those exquisite conversions cost way more than the OP indicated he was willing to spend.

Sorry if I offended anyone but I was not calling anyone trash, I was merely stating what a trashy conversion is--TRASH!

How do you go outside in the rain, with your nose that high in the air?
John and Elizabeth (Liz), with Briza the size XL tabby
St. Bernard Marm, cats Vierna and Maya...RIP. ๐Ÿ˜ž
Current rig:
1992 International Genesis school bus conversion

Jarlaxle
Explorer II
Explorer II
Thom02099 wrote:
GordonThree wrote:
midnightsadie wrote:
true they have a lot of miles on them. I worked for a hospital for 30yrs and they sit in the lot at idle for hundreds of hrs.I.d just find me a good class C and go use it tomorrow, than be sinking money into a money pit that I can,t use till I get it done.

X2

+1...^^^^^This.

In addition to sitting at idle for long periods, they are frequently running at high speed (depending on weather conditions) to emergencies, sometimes at great distances here in the West. The ambulance service here in the county I reside has a coverage area of over 2000 square miles, with a major interstate. Running hot on the interstate is not uncommon. Driving up a twisty canyon for over an hour at speeds most folks wouldn't do under the same circumstances. No matter how well maintained, they get tired very quickly. In this area, equipment turnover is fairly high, given the above circumstances.

But they're built for it. MDT drivetrains are designed to run flat-out on the highway...and a 9-ton ambulance on a Code 3 run is still easier on the mechanicals than 15 tons of truck and cargo.
John and Elizabeth (Liz), with Briza the size XL tabby
St. Bernard Marm, cats Vierna and Maya...RIP. ๐Ÿ˜ž
Current rig:
1992 International Genesis school bus conversion

westend
Explorer
Explorer
The RVIA compliance sticker is somewhat based on ANSI regulations. It lets anyone know that those standards were in place, when built. You can't buy the sticker. RVIA sells them to RV mfgs.

Also, is there a need to have this particular badge on a DIY RV? I would say no. Most DIY RV restorations or total builds go even further than what an RV mfg does. Materials are typically better and mechanical systems are installed the same, if not better.

FWIW, I replaced all of the wiring and plumbing in my trailer. I would put it up for inspection at any time. I installed a UL approved 75 amp load center and have 50 amp service. Originally, there was 30 amp switch box with three circuits. I have all new PEX plumbing with shut-off valves at every fixture. Terminating supply lines are all braided stainless steel. The drains are all ABS and are vented and sized according to typical codes. The 12V system is so above typical that there is no comparison. I spent over $200 just for the distribution panel and the switches. Propane appliances are served with mild copper from a cast iron pipe. There are valves at all appliances.

I list the above so that others can compare and decide if a DIY effort can be the same, better, or worse than something with an RVIA sticker. Also, I did leave the RVIA sticker on the exterior. If I didn't have it, there may be a service or an insurance company to inspect the systems, should I have a need for a badge or inspection sticker.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

GKAbbott
Explorer
Explorer
After rereading the OP, I must conclude that this train has jumped? the track.

mowermech
Explorer
Explorer
Actually, it is MCA 50-60-402:
" 50-60-402. Factory-built buildings and recreational vehicles to comply with standards. (1) A person, firm, or corporation may not manufacture, sell, or offer for sale any new factory-built building unless the factory-built building and its components, systems, and appliances have been constructed and assembled in accordance with the standards defined in this part.

(2)?A factory-built building that has been approved by the department is considered to be in full compliance with the standards and rules prescribed in parts 1 through 4.

(3)?All factory-built buildings approved by the department are acceptable as meeting the requirements of parts 1 through 4 throughout the state of Montana without further inspection or fees except for zoning, utility connections, and foundation permits required by local ordinance.

(4)?A person, firm, or corporation may not manufacture, sell, or offer for sale a new recreational vehicle unless the vehicle has been constructed and assembled in accordance with the American national standards institute ANSI/A119.2 standard for recreational vehicles. The department is not responsible for enforcing the compliance of recreational vehicles with the ANSI/A119.2 standard as part of the state building code."

I don't see where it states that it is illegal for an RV park to allow a home-built RV to connect to the power pedestal.
Note that "The department is not responsible for enforcing the compliance of recreational vehicles with the ANSI/A119.2 standard as part of the state building code."
It appears that "the department" really doesn't much care what RV builders do!
CM1, USN (RET)
2017 Jayco TT
Daily Driver: '14 Subaru Outback
1998 Dodge QC LWB, Cummins, 5 speed, 4X2
2 Kawasaki Brute Force 750 ATVs.
Pride Raptor 3 wheeled off-road capable mobility scooter
"When seconds count, help is only minutes away!"

drsteve
Explorer
Explorer
JaxDad wrote:
drsteve wrote:
Or you could just post the link...

Iโ€™m not going to post 50 links to 50 states regโ€™s but I did have the citation for California handy because I was looking it up for a friend. California Health & Safety Code

The exact language being โ€œA recreational vehicle that does not bear a label, an insignia, or an insignia of approval, as required by subdivision (f) or (g) of Section 18027.3, may not occupy any lot in a special occupancy park unless the vehicle owner provides reasonable proof of compliance with ANSI Standard No. A119.2 or A119.5.โ€œ

Note that in California itโ€™s not even legal to have a non-compliant unit IN a c/g let alone connected to the grid.

I believe these regs refer to renting or leasing homes in trailer parks.
2006 Silverado 1500HD Crew Cab 2WD 6.0L 3.73 8600 GVWR
2018 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 223RBS
1991 Palomino Filly PUP

JaxDad
Explorer III
Explorer III
drsteve wrote:

Iโ€™m not going to post 50 links to 50 states regโ€™s but I did have the citation for California handy because I was looking it up for a friend. California Health & Safety Code

The exact language being โ€œA recreational vehicle that does not bear a label, an insignia, or an insignia of approval, as required by subdivision (f) or (g) of Section 18027.3, may not occupy any lot in a special occupancy park unless the vehicle owner provides reasonable proof of compliance with ANSI Standard No. A119.2 or A119.5.โ€œ

Note that in California itโ€™s not even legal to have a non-compliant unit IN a c/g let alone connected to the grid.

drsteve
Explorer
Explorer
2006 Silverado 1500HD Crew Cab 2WD 6.0L 3.73 8600 GVWR
2018 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 223RBS
1991 Palomino Filly PUP

JaxDad
Explorer III
Explorer III
mowermech wrote:
JaxDad wrote:
mowermech wrote:
As for being "run out of campgrounds", that would not be a problem for me. Any RV park or "resort" that would not allow a nicely done conversion on the premises is NOT a place I would be likely to stay anyway.
In the USFS or BLM or State campgrounds where I would be likely to want to stay a day or three, no problem. EVERYBODY is welcome, even (gasp) TENTERS!! I have even seen people there camping in (horrors!) unconverted cargo trailers!

The issues isnโ€™t looks, itโ€™s legalities.

As soon as you add 120 volt AC that plugs into the grid, or install a fixed propane system you must, by law, have the vehicle inspected, and the vehicle must bear proof (usually a RVIA seal) saying it meets NFPA 1192 standards.

For anyone to allow you to hook up would be both silly and illegal. Nobody is going to knowingly take that risk.

It seems to me we just recently went through this whole rigamarole. When asked to cite references to the actual rules, regulations, and statutes requiring any such inspections and certifications, nobody could come up with any that would forbid you plugging your homebuilt rig into the grid. If you know of such a law that says it is illegal to allow one to plug into the grid, or operate one's own propane system, please cite your reference.
IMO, if you know it is illegal, you must know the statute that says it is illegal.

Actually itโ€™s been cited over so many States (life Safety regโ€™s are a State matter, not Federal) over so many years it would be hard to pick just one reference to quote, but since youโ€™re from MT just a 30 second Google search brings me to MT Annotated Code Title 50, Health and Safety, Chapter 60: Building Construction Standards, Part 4, Factory-Built Buildings and Recreational Vehicles

Do I need to spoon feed you your own States Statutes? Surely you must know them.

Google is your friend..........

mowermech
Explorer
Explorer
JaxDad wrote:
mowermech wrote:
As for being "run out of campgrounds", that would not be a problem for me. Any RV park or "resort" that would not allow a nicely done conversion on the premises is NOT a place I would be likely to stay anyway.
In the USFS or BLM or State campgrounds where I would be likely to want to stay a day or three, no problem. EVERYBODY is welcome, even (gasp) TENTERS!! I have even seen people there camping in (horrors!) unconverted cargo trailers!

As soon as you add 120 volt AC that plugs into the grid, or install a fixed propane system you must, by law, have the vehicle inspected, and the vehicle must bear proof (usually a RVIA seal) saying it meets NFPA 1192 standards.

For anyone to allow you to hook up would be both silly and illegal. Nobody is going to knowingly take that risk.

It seems to me we just recently went through this whole rigamarole. When asked to cite references to the actual rules, regulations, and statutes requiring any such inspections and certifications, nobody could come up with any that would forbid you plugging your homebuilt rig into the grid. If you know of such a law that says it is illegal to allow one to plug into the grid, or operate one's own propane system, please cite your reference.
IMO, if you know it is illegal, you must know the statute that says it is illegal.
CM1, USN (RET)
2017 Jayco TT
Daily Driver: '14 Subaru Outback
1998 Dodge QC LWB, Cummins, 5 speed, 4X2
2 Kawasaki Brute Force 750 ATVs.
Pride Raptor 3 wheeled off-road capable mobility scooter
"When seconds count, help is only minutes away!"

JaxDad
Explorer III
Explorer III
mowermech wrote:

GKAbbott
Explorer
Explorer
Go for it!!! Look on expeditionportal.com for some inspiration. Many on there have also been converted to 4 wheel drive. Once you spend a few hours on that site, you'll see that not all campers have to be commercially manufactured. Some of the coolest I've seen were built by individuals with a dream.