cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bigfoot leveling and tire leveling help

michaelhebert19
Explorer
Explorer
Hello all. New to RV'ing. We recently bought an '02 Georgie Boy Landau and it has the Bigfoot leveling system on it. I understand how to use it (literally a push of a button), but I wanted to ask about using blocks underneath it and the tires for leveling.

Where it is parked at the moment slopes downwards a good amount. I drove the front tires up on the blocks and started to use the leveling system. Next thing I know, the front tires are in the air! I quickly retracted the jacks to where they are just pressing on the blocks of wood (and plastic) that are underneath them.

How high can I safely stack my wood (and or plastic pads) underneath the jacks to help level? Right now it is about 8 inches high.

How high can my stacks be where I drive onto them with the front tires? Right now I have them about 5 inches high.

Thanks for the help in advance!
8 REPLIES 8

michaelhebert19
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks all for the comments. I grabbed an extra set of the Camco leveling lego blocks and was able to see 4 blocks was their suggested limit, as posted by MrWizard. I do have a 2x10 that I cut into several squares for each jack so it feels more stable. I did the "maximum" suggested limit of 4 squares for each front tire and drove onto it. It is a lot better now and the weight is for sure distributed evenly in the front (using multiple blocks), but I still don't feel comfortable letting the front tires dangle in the air. It is a lot better now, but still not perfect. However, it will get the job done until we move (here soon). Again, thanks all for the replies!

RLS7201
Explorer
Explorer
Raising your front tires off the ground is not a problem.
Raise your rear tires off the ground and your coach will roll away. That's a NO NO.

Richard
95 Bounder 32H F53 460
2013 CRV Toad
2 Segways in Toad
First brake job
1941 Hudson

FIRE_UP
Explorer
Explorer
michaelhebert1986 wrote:
Hello all. New to RV'ing. We recently bought an '02 Georgie Boy Landau and it has the Bigfoot leveling system on it. I understand how to use it (literally a push of a button), but I wanted to ask about using blocks underneath it and the tires for leveling.

Where it is parked at the moment slopes downwards a good amount. I drove the front tires up on the blocks and started to use the leveling system. Next thing I know, the front tires are in the air! I quickly retracted the jacks to where they are just pressing on the blocks of wood (and plastic) that are underneath them.

How high can I safely stack my wood (and or plastic pads) underneath the jacks to help level? Right now it is about 8 inches high.

How high can my stacks be where I drive onto them with the front tires? Right now I have them about 5 inches high.

Michael,
Leveling, in any given situation is and can be, handled differently. The subject's been discussed, oh, about a zillion times on multiple RV forums. Some lift their front tires off the ground on a repeated basis and are quite happy in doing so. Well, it's up to them, it's their coach and THEIR consequences if anything goes south.

But, I've always carried a small lumber yard with any of our coaches. If we have to shun other items in order to make room for some leveling wood, so be it. I've used the matte-mattel plastic blocks and things like that and, well, I've broke more than I care to admit. So, WOOD is my top choice. Yes, it's a few ounces heavier but, it's also a few zillion times stronger.

But, I've created ramps in my collection and, have used them multiple times in campgrounds/camp spots all over the U.S. Not all campsites are level. Here's the logic I use. It's actually quite simple. TEN POINTS (6-tires and 4 jacks) touching the ground in any level/unlevel campsite is the best possible stabilization you can get.

Not only that but, if you have to use blocks/ramps under any given set of tires, front or back, that means your jacks will have to travel farther to reach the ground. So, I use blocks under the jacks so they don't have to do that and, the shorter length they travel, the more stable they are. That's pure geometry 101.

So, my advice, try and determine what kind of wood blocks you might be using on the average and, set up for carrying those.
Scott
Scott and Karla
SDFD RETIRED
2004 Itasca Horizon, 36GD Slate Blue 330 CAT
2011 GMC Sierra 1500 Ext Cab 4x4 Toad
2008 Caliente Red LVL II GL 1800 Goldwing
KI60ND

FIRE_UP
Explorer
Explorer
michaelhebert1986 wrote:

Michael,
Leveling, in any given situation is and can be, handled differently. The subject's been discussed, oh, about a zillion times on multiple RV forums. Some lift their front tires off the ground on a repeated basis and are quite happy in doing so. Well, it's up to them, it's their coach and THEIR consequences if anything goes south.

But, I've always carried a small lumber yard with any of our coaches. If we have to shun other items in order to make room for some leveling wood, so be it. I've used the matte-mattel plastic blocks and things like that and, well, I've broke more than I care to admit. So, WOOD is my top choice. Yes, it's a few ounces heavier but, it's also a few zillion times stronger.

But, I've created ramps in my collection and, have used them multiple times in campgrounds/camp spots all over the U.S. Not all campsites are level. Here's the logic I use. It's actually quite simple. TEN POINTS (6-tires and 4 jacks) touching the ground in any level/unlevel campsite is the best possible stabilization you can get.

Not only that but, if you have to use blocks/ramps under any given set of tires, front or back, that means your jacks will have to travel farther to reach the ground. So, I use blocks under the jacks so they don't have to do that and, the shorter length they travel, the more stable they are. That's pure geometry 101.

So, my advice, try and determine what kind of wood blocks you might be using on the average and, set up for carrying those.
Scott

Scott and Karla
SDFD RETIRED
2004 Itasca Horizon, 36GD Slate Blue 330 CAT
2011 GMC Sierra 1500 Ext Cab 4x4 Toad
2008 Caliente Red LVL II GL 1800 Goldwing
KI60ND

mccsix
Explorer
Explorer
Watch for frame twisting as well as the height, that's what the manufacturers are worried about.

MrWizard
Double checked
Instructions in top of carry bag say, do not exceed 5 inches
I measured them all stacked together, four layers, at 4.5 inches, total height

Two sets would allow you to go higher

I think their stated 5 inch limit is legal CYA speak
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

michaelhebert19
Explorer
Explorer
It says only 4 stacks max? Goodness. That isn't much at all. I haven't look at my set to see what they say (I didn't even think about it). I need an easy 6-8 inches in the front right now to sit it even. I just don't like the idea of dangling the fronts in the air. I'll see if I can't figure out a better place to park, even though I am certain there isn't.

Thanks much!

MrWizard
lynx leveler blocks say 4 stack max, i recently bought a new set (it takes all ten blocks to stair step to 4 high)

i don't know what camco or other brands say

i don't know why you could not go higher by using two sets stacked together
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s