Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Nova Scotia, New Brunswick, Labador and Newfoundland
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RVing in Canada and Alaska

Open Roads Forum  >  RVing in Canada and Alaska  >  Canada

> Nova Scotia, New Brunswick, Labador and Newfoundland

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
davidcc

Trussville, AL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/11/18 12:26pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We live in Alabama and drive a 40' Tiffin Bus with a tow. We are going up the east cost this summer and were thinking about extending our trip to the eastern provinces of Canada. I still work (age 73 and wife 74) but we are planning to be gone around 8 weeks. We have never been further up the east coast than Massachusetts. Would be interested in anyone's comments regarding the areas in Canada and also Maine, NH, CT, RI, particularly with respect to the 40 ft. motorhome in the Canadian areas

Thanks
David

pianotuna

Regina, SK, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 02/11/18 01:32pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hi David,

You may find the ferry costs to Newfoundland cost a pretty penny for an RV.

Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp hours of AGM in two battery banks 12 volt batteries, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

William Willard

Brookins Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 02/11/18 01:56pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We`ve made the trip twice from Arizona (we`re 80& 83)driving a 42ft coach & towing -- Canada`s highways are better than the US -- The ferry trip from Nova Socia to Newfoundland is a 8 hour trip on a ferry that looks more like a cruise ship & about the same size - The charge is by the foot for coach & toad -- You will be a passenger & a seperate charge -- You will leave the toad hooked to your coach -- Plenty of RV parks & diesel fuel - DO NOT take a gun, pepper spray & such into Canada -- Your coach may be searched when entering,but they are very nice about it -- Just relax & enjoy the sites -- William Willard

luckyd

Kamloops

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/11/18 02:39pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

When you want to go to PEI, the trip "TO" the Island
is "FREE". You pay to get off.

We take the ferry across (40 foot towing a CRV),
and then we come back over the Confederation Bridge.

The cost for the bridge is $15.00/axle so was $60.00.

GordonThree

Northern Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 02/11/18 03:57pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

pianotuna wrote:

Hi David,

Don, can you elaborate on this?

When I looked up my 44 foot rig, prices seemed comparable to the Alaska ferries. But that's for truck and small trailer. A huge motorhome AND a vehicle in tow, that's another 25 feet at least.

2013 KZ Sportsmen Classic 200, 20 ft TT
2017 Ram 2500 4x4, 6.4 HEMI, 4.10 / Auto

KrowNB

Canada

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/11/18 04:29pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Nfld ferry rates:

Marine Atlantic Ferry Rates

That's for your vehicle. Each person has to pay as well. Cabins are extra, too. Links on the above link.

chiefneon

Livingston, TX

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/11/18 04:30pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Howdy!

We spent three months in Newfoundland just to get our money’s worth out of the cost of the ferry crossing. Most people uphook there towed as they charge by the foot. We enjoyed our time in Newfoundland, we went to see the icebergs and were not disappointed. We enjoyed it as much as Alaska.

“Happy Trails”
Chiefneon

MDKMDK

Canada

View Profile

Posted: 02/11/18 04:41pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

GordonThree wrote:

pianotuna wrote:

Hi David,

Don, can you elaborate on this?

When I looked up my 44 foot rig, prices seemed comparable to the Alaska ferries. But that's for truck and small trailer. A huge motorhome AND a vehicle in tow, that's another 25 feet at least.

Here's the link to the latest rates for the ferry from North Sydney Nova Scotia to Port Aux Basques Newfoundland. It's the 8 hour trip (one way) that WW mentioned. The one that goes to Argentia, is about twice as long, but you're closer to the provincial capitol St. John's when you arrive.
Marine Atlantic Ferries
https://www.marineatlantic.ca/en/plan-your-travel/ferry-rates/Port-aux-Basques-North-Sydney/
Unless you're prepared to sit in a lounge chair inside, or on deck for 8 hours (weather permitting) you may want to book a cabin. I'm not sure what amenities, if any, there are om board, but I expect it's like a cruise ship. There's no access to your motorhome once you're loaded and parked, until you arrive and are allowed to disembark. The HST (tax) they're talking about is 15% in Nova Scotia and 15% in Newfoundland.
We were going to do this in 2016, but ran out of time on our trip, so we decided to wait until we had more time to get our money's worth.
The ferries DO look like cruise ships.

Mike.
2018 Navion 24V "Goldilocks" 2016 JKU "Red" (sold @ ???)
2016 Sunstar 26HE (sold @ 4600 miles)
2002 Roadtrek C190P (sold @ 315,000kms)

lakeside013104

North America

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/11/18 04:46pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

In Maine, be sure to see Acadia National Park in Bar Harbor. Put your feet in the cold waters of the Atlantic on Sand beach, hike on Beehive mountain, see The Thunder Hole, and ride bikes or horse drawn buggies on the Carriage Trails throughout the park. Visit SW Harbor and NE Harbor and eat Maine lobster until your belly is full.

Camden Maine is very nice and has a much slower pace. Campgrounds are plentiful in all above areas.

When you come through Freeport, stop and visit LLBean. They are open 24/7 364 days per year. Everything for the outdoor sports person.

If your in Maine in August, visit the north country, Aroostook County and see the potatoes blossoms and the moose in the broccoli fields.

So much to do and see in Maine. Depends on your personal interests.

Enjoy your trip.

Lakeside

TenOC

On the road -- Full time

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/11/18 05:25pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Go for it !!!! Once in a lifetime. Notice the date on the Photo

[image]
[image]Click For Full-Size Image.

And This One.

[image]
[image]Click For Full-Size Image.

Please give me enough troubles, uncertainty, problems, obstacles and STRESS so that I do not become arrogant, proud, and smug in my own abilities, and enough blessings and good times that I realize that someone else is in charge of my life.

Travel Photos

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  RVing in Canada and Alaska  >  Canada

> Nova Scotia, New Brunswick, Labador and Newfoundland
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RVing in Canada and Alaska

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS