cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Nova Scotia, New Brunswick, Labador and Newfoundland

davidcc
Explorer
Explorer
We live in Alabama and drive a 40' Tiffin Bus with a tow. We are going up the east cost this summer and were thinking about extending our trip to the eastern provinces of Canada. I still work (age 73 and wife 74) but we are planning to be gone around 8 weeks. We have never been further up the east coast than Massachusetts. Would be interested in anyone's comments regarding the areas in Canada and also Maine, NH, CT, RI, particularly with respect to the 40 ft. motorhome in the Canadian areas

Thanks
David
20 REPLIES 20

TenOC
Nomad
Nomad
I loved NF

Click For Full-Size Image.
Please give me enough troubles, uncertainty, problems, obstacles and STRESS so that I do not become arrogant, proud, and smug in my own abilities, and enough blessings and good times that I realize that someone else is in charge of my life.

Travel Photos

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
We did the Maritimes & Newfoundland in 2016. A full month on Newfoundland was not really enough. Primary attraction were the icebergs so we went early & did the whole of June. The ferry was less than half full going over & a little over half full on the return. Onboard the seats are more spacious than 1st class on a plane plus you have the freedom to move around.

Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

MDKMDK
Explorer
Explorer
In answer to one of your original questions, I was out east last October - NB, NS, Gaspe, entered at Houlton Maine in a 27' class A gasser pulling a Wrangler, and I thought some of the roads were OK, and some were terrible, compared to what I see elsewhere in Canada, and here in Ontario. Not as bad as northern BC and the Yukon in 2016, but they're not far behind. Just my opinion, and I admit it is a subjective thing, but I've driven all over the continent, so I'll add YMMV. Even the year before (2016), they weren't as bad, so maybe time and wear and tear is taking it's toll on them. I did see plenty of construction, particularly in New Brunswick, so at least they're addressing it. Gaspe Rte 132 is a nice drive as well, and it's always under construction somewhere.
I also have noted some folks mentioned the Cabot Trail. I would not recommend driving it in a 40' diesel pusher, whether pulling anything or not. If you decide to do Cape Breton, and the Cabot Trail, it is a really nice drive on a clear day, but not in anything bigger than a pickup truck, class B van, or a smaller (<25') class C. Some sections of the roads are narrow, there are sharp turns in places, and one or two grades that are simply "challenging" near the northern tip of the island. We didn't do the Cabot Trail in our class A with toad, but have done it in our class B van 3 times. There are places in Port Hawkesbury where you can drop the MH, and do the island in your toad.
One last comment, northern/eastern Maine near the Canadian border and anywhere in New Brunswick, are two of the best places to enjoy the leaves changing color.
EDIT: One more comment - do the Hopewell Rocks on the Bay of Fundy in New Brunswick. "Walk on the ocean floor". It's pretty interesting.
Mike. Comments are anecdotal or personal opinions, and worth what you paid for them.
2018 (2017 Sprinter Cab Chassis) Navion24V + 2016 Wrangler JKU (sold @ ????)
2016 Sunstar 26HE, V10, 3V, 6 Speed (sold @ 4600 miles)
2002 Roadtrek C190P (sold @ 315,000kms)

wilber1
Explorer
Explorer
If you are spending any time in Port aux Basques waiting for the ferry, Cheeseman Provincial Park is nice. Be sure and take a run down the coast to Rose Blanche. Peggy's cove has nothing on this place and it is much less commercial.

Gros Morne is wonderful, I don't think we have been to a single park with a bigger variety of geography and environment. Liked it so much we spent several days there both going to and coming back from St. Anthony.
"Never trust a man who has not a single redeeming vice" WSC

2011 RAM 3500 SRW
2015 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

Little_Kopit
Explorer
Explorer
Ok, I lived in NL from 1983 to 2008, 24.5 years. Now, I'm back across The Gulf. Over all in the area from 1978 to present.

Yes, you pay when leaving PEI. Bridge costs less than ferry.

They have changed the Marine Atlantic ferries since I last crossed, but the comments about cabin are about getting good sleep. They don't let you lie on a floor. & they are talking of an increase in the 'tax for gas'.

They charge by length of your rig.' It used to cost less to detach you toad from your rv. Check this at Marine Atlantic site. & do Port aux Basques, not Argentina. There are places to see people to meet, events to enjoy going both ways. If you want more on places, etc. ask I can elaborate at length.

Louisbourg Historic Fortress on Cape Breton Island is ************* important.

The trip around the Cabot Trail bears no comparison to hanging out at Gros Morne National Park ---- my idea a week north of Bonne Bay and a week south of Bonne Bay. Each has a discovery center. Gros Morne has much 1 Off geology for the planet. Red Bay in Labrador. St. Mary's Bird Sanctuary.

On the way back or forward.... take Ferry to Grand Manan Island, stop at The Bakery by 10:00 am. Yes, worth it to get in line. Few days.... then ferry to Deer Island,... then few Days on Campobello Island. Then International Bridge to Lubec and hang out in that area, local history, boating, hiking. Used to own a place near Lubec.

Of course, Tidal Bore. Fundy National Park.

& The Markets, especially in Saint John, NB and Charlottetown, PEI.

:B
& I, I took the road less travelled by.

My Photo Album, featuring Labrador 2006

wilber1
Explorer
Explorer
We spent three weeks on The Rock. Wasn't near enough but time was a factor. Bit sobering when you look at the mile posts on Signal Hill and see that you are 1300 km from London England, or about the same distance from Rome as you are from home and have to drive all the way back before it starts snowing in the mountains. Thought the ferry was reasonable considering, but that was ten years ago.

A few comments

PEI is very nice, Charlottetown is a very pretty little city. The ferry was more expensive than the bridge so we made sure to take the bridge back.

Spend some time in Cape Breton. Cabot Trail, Louisbourg Fortress etc.

Halifax area has lots. There are some decent parks around Peggy's Cove which is nicely placed between Halifax and Lunenburg.

Bay of Fundy National Park in New Brunswick. St. Andrews is a very nice town just north of the Calais border crossing. The Kiwanis have a park right on the water from where you can walk into town.

X2 on Bar Harbour and Acadia National Park. Very nice.
"Never trust a man who has not a single redeeming vice" WSC

2011 RAM 3500 SRW
2015 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

daveB110
Explorer
Explorer
Visiting PEI from the west or south, you might want to take the bridge (free when going to the Island) and take a ferry to Nova Scotia if heading to Cape Breton.(reasonable rates to ride when leaving the PEIsland.

ssthrd
Explorer
Explorer
OP--All responses so far have been about Newfoundland, but these websites cover the whole 9 yards. So much to see and do wherever you decide to go.

http://www.newfoundlandlabrador.com
https://www.tourismpei.com
http://www.newbrunswick.com
http://www.novascotia.com
2014 Keystone Laredo 292RL
2013 Palomino Maverick 2902
2018 GMC 3500HD, 4x4, 6.5' box, SRW, Denali, Duramax, Andersen
DeeBee, JayBee, and Jed the Black Lab

The hurrier I go the behinder I get. (Lewis Carroll)

loggenrock
Explorer
Explorer
Here's a link to a couple of Newfoundland threads. ST
https://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fuseaction/search/parms/sw%7BNewfoundland%7D%7Ckm%7Bexact%7D%7Ckl%7Bm%7D%7Cfm%7B%7D%7Cpd%7B365%7D%7Cma%7Bloggenrock%7D/sr/1.cfm
Two and a hound in a 2015 Coachmen Prism "B+"...pushed by '09 Suby Forester
First 50 done, working on the second pass! Nunavut - we'll see...!
2005-2015 Roadtrek 190P
1993-2005 Northstar Soft-Side TC
1989-1993 Backpacks & Tents!
1967-1977 Family TT's

loggenrock
Explorer
Explorer
Howdy - we spent 5 weeks in June/July in Newfoundland with a side trip to Labrador in 2015. 8 weeks from Alabama and back is about the minimum, I'd say, with the New England states just being a quick pass-through. We put about 5000 miles on the rig, and we're in NH, just 800 miles from North Sydney, NS. Great place to visit - LOTS to see. Do a search of the forums for Newfoundland, quite a few threads on travel there. Two items to note - many places do not have potable water - posted boil orders in effect. Simple sediment water filter is NOT adequate - either have a better system in place (we use ceramic now) or used bleach to sanitize the water coming in after the filter. Also, Newfoundland roads, even the Trans Canada, can be pretty rough - lots of potholes, etc., so don't count on making any time - slow down and enjoy it! PM me if you can't find my older posts.
Two and a hound in a 2015 Coachmen Prism "B+"...pushed by '09 Suby Forester
First 50 done, working on the second pass! Nunavut - we'll see...!
2005-2015 Roadtrek 190P
1993-2005 Northstar Soft-Side TC
1989-1993 Backpacks & Tents!
1967-1977 Family TT's

GordonThree
Explorer
Explorer
Doesn't seem that bad. A 5 hour sail from Valdez to the peninsula was close to $600 for me and my rig.

I understand these ships are more well appointed than the ferries the State of Alaska runs?
2013 KZ Sportsmen Classic 200, 20 ft TT
2020 RAM 1500, 5.7 4x4, 8 speed

TenOC
Nomad
Nomad
Go for it !!!! Once in a lifetime. Notice the date on the Photo

And This One.

Please give me enough troubles, uncertainty, problems, obstacles and STRESS so that I do not become arrogant, proud, and smug in my own abilities, and enough blessings and good times that I realize that someone else is in charge of my life.

Travel Photos

lakeside013104
Explorer
Explorer
In Maine, be sure to see Acadia National Park in Bar Harbor. Put your feet in the cold waters of the Atlantic on Sand beach, hike on Beehive mountain, see The Thunder Hole, and ride bikes or horse drawn buggies on the Carriage Trails throughout the park. Visit SW Harbor and NE Harbor and eat Maine lobster until your belly is full.

Camden Maine is very nice and has a much slower pace. Campgrounds are plentiful in all above areas.

When you come through Freeport, stop and visit LLBean. They are open 24/7 364 days per year. Everything for the outdoor sports person.

If your in Maine in August, visit the north country, Aroostook County and see the potatoes blossoms and the moose in the broccoli fields.

So much to do and see in Maine. Depends on your personal interests.

Enjoy your trip.

Lakeside

MDKMDK
Explorer
Explorer
GordonThree wrote:
pianotuna wrote:
Hi David,

You may find the ferry costs to Newfoundland cost a pretty penny for an RV.

Don, can you elaborate on this?

When I looked up my 44 foot rig, prices seemed comparable to the Alaska ferries. But that's for truck and small trailer. A huge motorhome AND a vehicle in tow, that's another 25 feet at least.

Here's the link to the latest rates for the ferry from North Sydney Nova Scotia to Port Aux Basques Newfoundland. It's the 8 hour trip (one way) that WW mentioned. The one that goes to Argentia, is about twice as long, but you're closer to the provincial capitol St. John's when you arrive.
Marine Atlantic Ferries
https://www.marineatlantic.ca/en/plan-your-travel/ferry-rates/Port-aux-Basques-North-Sydney/
Unless you're prepared to sit in a lounge chair inside, or on deck for 8 hours (weather permitting) you may want to book a cabin. I'm not sure what amenities, if any, there are om board, but I expect it's like a cruise ship. There's no access to your motorhome once you're loaded and parked, until you arrive and are allowed to disembark. The HST (tax) they're talking about is 15% in Nova Scotia and 15% in Newfoundland.
We were going to do this in 2016, but ran out of time on our trip, so we decided to wait until we had more time to get our money's worth.
The ferries DO look like cruise ships.
Mike. Comments are anecdotal or personal opinions, and worth what you paid for them.
2018 (2017 Sprinter Cab Chassis) Navion24V + 2016 Wrangler JKU (sold @ ????)
2016 Sunstar 26HE, V10, 3V, 6 Speed (sold @ 4600 miles)
2002 Roadtrek C190P (sold @ 315,000kms)