cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problem with T-Mobile Internet

mbabayco
Explorer
Explorer
I’m not sure I can do anything about this but… I am camp hosting in a park (25 miles east of Albany, OR surrounded by some mountains) out of the range of T-Mobile Internet service. I currently use a ZTE Falcon Z-917 mobile hot spot for 2 laptops. I cannot get any bars/signal from the park. I can travel about 3-4 miles closer to civilization and get a 1 or 2 bar signal. According to the map online, the nearest T-Mobile tower is about 40 miles away and I do not have a direct line to it due to the canyon I am in.

Is it possible to get/build something that would actually receive a good signal where I am? I am looking at antennas and the various equipment that I would need (booster, router, antenna, etc.) but do not want to spend the money only to find out it doesn’t work. I’ve read about wi-fi finders but they get mixed reviews and still may not get me an accurate reading of a signal. - Michael

Any suggestions? I don’t want to change carriers because of the good data plan I through Millenicom. I’m willing to spend some money if would really work. Help!
12 REPLIES 12

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Is it possible to build something to extend your range.. Two answers both yes

First if you are camp hosting does the park offer WI-Fi. just your RV is too far away to log in solid?

T-mobile offers a "Mini-cell" this is a device that plugs into the ROUTER on a LAN port and basically becomes a T-Mobile tower. Not sure the range but it might do the trick, also I BELIEVE (again not sure) you get UNLIMITED everything when using the mini-cell This is the exact opposite of a hot spot. Where as a Hot Spot gives you Interenet via cell. this gives you cell via Internet.. your Hot spot would then convert back.

Second.. There are several devices sold to extend Cell range on RV's and such We-Boost and one other (max Signal?????) come to mind, the other is the better one range wise.

These devices use an extenal antenna and ... generally.. and internal antenna with a box of electronics between them.

Use a DIRECTIONAL high gain antenna atop a good tall tower (Say 40' flag pole) because HEIGHT IS MIGHT.. Note T-Mobile's engineers may be able to advise on how tall a pole.. Now some of them are not that good with data (They may force you to a slowere frequency band) but I'm not currently using them so I can not be sure.

I can also extend your WI-Fi Range for the park router if the park has enough bandwidth, That I am very good at. Two or 3 different methods some are downright impressive. (NOTE: I do not give the actual instructions. only links to them)
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

Dutch_12078
Explorer
Explorer
We have both AT&T and Verizon hotspots, plus a Maximum Signal Max Amp RV booster/repeater. We have not found anywhere yet where both hotspots didn't work with the Max Amp, albeit often with one stronger than the other. That includes places where we get no service at all with the Max Amp turned off. As long as the Max Amp can get a sniff of signal even at levels our devices can't detect, it seems to work.
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
If you are in a valley, surrounded by mountains, chances you'll have no signal from anything. Before changing to a different phone service, check with fellow campers (if you see them talking on a cell phone), and ask them what plan they are on. If no once can get signals from Verizon, AT&T, Tmobile, or any other type of service, then switching to a different phone won't help you either. As a campground host, you are there all the time. Ask your fellow campers when you walk around the campground.

I know every campground is different, but when I see a campground host site, I kind of expect the host to walk around the campground and I personally feel, should just kindly introduce himself to folks. Seems lately, (like the last 4 or 5 years, every campground host campsite, the host is honkered down inside the camper and you never see them). OK, I've rambled and got that off my chest. But still, before switching phones, why not check with others there and see what works and what does not?

MrWizard
a directional 'Yagi' antenna pointed at the tower
plus a cellular amplifier may help

a wifi locator is not going to help you find a cellular signal
which is what you are looking for

the yagi raised in the air, point 'directly' at the tower might get some signal
then the 'Amp' will boost it

the amp can't help, if there is nothing there too boost
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

n7bsn
Explorer
Explorer
It's certainly possible a booster on a push-up mast will do the trick.
Back in the working years we put a repeater at about 70 ft above the water line and could hit cell-towers 50+ miles at sea.

Today, yes Verizon gives better coverage. BUT, T-Mobile has a new band they are currently deploying. Since this band is -lower- in frequency the coverage area will be improved both in rural areas and in buildings.
BUT this change is at least a year from being anything like full coverage.
2008 F350SD V10 with an 2012 Arctic Fox 29-5E
When someone tells you to buy the same rig they own, listen, they might be right. When they tell you to buy a different rig then they own, really pay attention, they probably know something you don't.

vjstangelo
Explorer
Explorer
Try a Williams Electronics signal booster.
2012 Winnebago Vista 32K
2011 Honda CRV Toad

GordonThree
Explorer
Explorer
Count me another vote for Verizon.

If you're not running a booster yet, get one. They're expensive but if you like camping away from civilization, they're worth it.

Getting one that's universal or multi-band is recommended.
2013 KZ Sportsmen Classic 200, 20 ft TT
2020 RAM 1500, 5.7 4x4, 8 speed

wildtoad
Explorer II
Explorer II
Regardless of what you get you will find cell service and data service is hit or miss especially in mountainous areas. We have Verizon and have been to plenty of state parks and commercial campgrounds and get zippo. Better than ATT which we had before, but still not ubiquitous.
Tom Wilds
Blythewood, SC
2016 Newmar Baystar Sport 3004
2015 Jeep Wrangler 2dr HT

sneakygroundbuz
Explorer
Explorer
i too will say go with verizon

as a truck driver i get into a lot of areas where reception can be non existent for some carriers,but verizon never lets me down.

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
donn0128 wrote:
Dump Tmobile and go with Verizon.
x2.

If Verizon doesn't cover it, it isn't likely covered by anyone. The coverage map shows that area being spotty. Antennas and amps will increase a signal, but will not create one from nothing.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

jcpainter
Explorer
Explorer
T-Mobile can be an OK choice in urban areas or along interstates . . . but its service is almost non-existent in rural areas.

donn0128
Explorer
Explorer
Dump Tmobile and go with Verizon. Verizon is about the only game for us camp hosts. Even where we host wifi is only available between midnight and about 6:30 in the morning. Tmobile is OK in or close to major cities and along parts of I5. Get oitside of that and your done