cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Newbie - '90 Holiday Rambler Limited DP Sagging Ceiling

JorgeS
Explorer
Explorer
Hello all, complete newbie to motorhomes here...

I'm looking for help on a 1990 HR Limited we're seriously considering, and really like, but have some concerns. It's been well cared for, but has some issues that make us afraid it will empty our wallets. If we can figure out how serious these are, we will make an offer, or walk away. I' posting several threads by item, to make it easier to answer. Hopefully someone here is familiar with these coaches, and can offer some advice.

- Ceiling sags about 1.5" in center of coach. Appears adhesive that held it to the roof weakened, letting it sag. Our concern is that it will fall, and will be difficult/expensive to get back up.
Does anyone know how the roof is constructed? will it allow using using (nice looking) screws to attache it to the inside surface of the roof?

Thank you in advance!
My wife and I really like the coach, the layout, the quality, the ruggedness, etc., and would like to get it if we think we can address the concerns
Jorge
1990 Holiday Rambler Limited 37'
23 REPLIES 23

JorgeS
Explorer
Explorer
hi Mike
Thanks for the instructions... here is an overall photo I took.
I hope it posts OK.

It's sagging in the rear due to an air leak I haven't had a chance to address yet.
It does come up fairly quickly, and the primary & secondary reservoirs retain pressure for hours after it's shut down, so i hope it will be a simple fix.
The paint job is a 15' paint job... looks graet from 15' away, but as you get closer, it looks less good - LOL
Jorge

mike_brez
Explorer
Explorer
I use This
Copy and paste it into your bookmarks or favorites.
1998 36 foot Country Coach Magna #5499 Single slide
Gillig chassis with a series 40
02 Ford F250 7.3 with a few mods
2015 Wrangler JKU

JorgeS
Explorer
Explorer
I have some pictures, but not sure how to post them.
BTW, drove it home Saturday about 125 miles, and ran great. Steering felt loose, and got blown around quite a bit from strong sidewinds, but may be due to tires not being at full pressure. Will be filling them in the next day or so and driving it to check for effect.
I was pleased by how quiet it was 🙂
Jorge

mike_brez
Explorer
Explorer
Congrats. Any pics of coach?
1998 36 foot Country Coach Magna #5499 Single slide
Gillig chassis with a series 40
02 Ford F250 7.3 with a few mods
2015 Wrangler JKU

JorgeS
Explorer
Explorer
Just to update all that helped with advice...

My wife returned last week to look at the coach again, and specifically the roof.
She determined that the roof was very solid, and it was only the vinyl that had unglued from the roof.
As for the jacks, it was clear that they worked in the very recent past. The dealer (consignment) was on the phone with owner, who kept telling them to "try this...", but in the end, they didn't work. Hopefully, we can get them working for not too much $$.
She negotiated with them very successfully, and we are now the happy owners of this great coach.
The deal is closed, insurance in place, now just waiting for the check to clear. We hope to pick it up this coming Saturday.
I've had lots of very helpful comments and messages, and it looks like there's lots of help available on this forum.
Reminds me very much of another forum in which I'm active (Concours Owners Group), with lots of knowledgeable members who are willing and able to offer good advice.
Hopefully I will be able to contribute once in a while to the knowledge base.
Jorge

Lloyd_jeneva1
Explorer
Explorer
And you don't walk on the roof unless you know were to step u put planks down to span the joists. That's like walking on the roof of a. Airstream

Lloyd_jeneva1
Explorer
Explorer
That roof or sidewalls don't have any wood no 2x2 that's aluminum framed and the roof is aluminum framing no wood they have fiberglass insulation and then 1/4 inch fome insulation then 1/2inch fome glued to the headliner material the glue yealds to the heat after many years you can buy the red headliner glue and a gun to spray it for about 60 bucks

Lloyd_jeneva1
Explorer
Explorer
That Mh sounds like a good buy.3208 cat Allison full air breaks gillig chassey you have to do some maintainace not a big deal you wont have rotten wood to deal with its all Alluminum, I have a 88 40ft limited the glue let go on mine to no big deal you have to buy the right adhesive its red comes in gal can and a spray gun to shoot it cost me about 60 bucks I bought mine dident want no slides or computer controlled engine and trans all of theas rvs need something that hr is a well built moter home and the gillig chassey is in Hayward California they can look up your unit and get u any part for the chassey you nead and their nice to deal with

JorgeS
Explorer
Explorer
Just to update...
They turned down our offer for $14K, so we're walking.
Thanks for all the help!
Jorge

JorgeS
Explorer
Explorer
Hi Mike,
First, THANK YOU for the detailed info.
That's the info I wanted, and it makes sense.
When I was on top, the aluminum would "give" a little, then it was firm - the skin moving until contacting the plywood. There is also a joint down the middle with solid support.
On the inside, the vinyl could be pushed up easily, but only so far, and then it was pretty solid, I could deflect it a little more, but not easily. No crunching sounds a doing this, in retrospect, it's how you'd expect luan backed by foam to feel.
As far was water intrusion, we checked all the overheads and saw no evidence at all.
We're going to call and make an offer, reduced to compensate for some if the things we will need to address.
If we meet on price, we'll test drive it Saturday.
Thanks again to all that helped!!

Jorge
Jorge

mlslcan
Explorer
Explorer
That era (early 90s) HR usually used an aluminum two piece skin on the roof (seam down the middle) back by thin plywood with either wood or aluminum joist, foam board insulation between the joist and on the inside a piece of luan with foam glued to it covered with the vinyl. At least that how my 93 HR 1000 (aluminum joist) was and a friends 91 Imperial (had both aluminum and wood joist - wood at ACs).

That might give you an idea of how this one was assembled as well.

Ask if the owner has the owners manual. Mine included a brochure on the "structure" (walls, roof, etc).

On mine I had an area in the bedroom that had came unglued. Just like an older car headliner the foam beneath the vinyl had deteriorated. It was sagging in the middle of a 4 foot panel. We pulled it off, scraped off the foam, replaced with some foam from the fabric store and used spray adhesive to glue the foam to the wood and the vinyl to the foam. It wrinkled some but looked better than the sagging headliner.

Mike

Edited to add:

Mine had no water damage on the ceiling from leaks. Carefully look for signs of water leaks and damage. Water intrusion would be a deal breaker. Deteriorated foam headliner not as much.

Mike

JorgeS
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks NW, I think I know what you are describing. They make similar ones to hold up sagging car headliners.

As I thought about this more, I realized that the sagging section may be below a luggage carrier on the roof. This makes me want to check this out. If we go back, what I think I will do is take a long pick, and go through the seam of the vinyl and poke what is above the liner. If it's solid, we're good; if it's soft, no-go.

Does anyone know what is actually above the roof liner? Is it metal, wood, plywood, or??

Thanks again for all the great advice.
Jorge

MWJones
Explorer
Explorer
Get a Moble Tec to inspect it. Money well spent.
The saging ceiling is an easy fix.
Any RV dealer will have them. A plastic "button' that looks like a flower and has a screw to attach it to the rafter thru the ceiling panel.
Good luck.
M Jones
American and Texan by birth
Christian by the Grace of God
Retired and enjoying Traveling and Camping
Spending part of summers in South Fork, Co

JorgeS
Explorer
Explorer
sorry, I should have clarified...
Over the whole length of the roof, it is solidly held very well around any vents or lights. The section that sags is a length of about 6' that is between a light and the fan. The lights, etc. are solidly mounted to the roof and they seem to be solidly supporting the liner. the section between these items, where there is nothing supporting it, except maybe adhesive, is where it sags.

Thanks again!!
Jorge