Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Class A Motorhomes: travel route suggestions
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  Travels & Favorite Places

> travel route suggestions

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Judo x-ray

Home

View Profile

Posted: 02/11/18 05:11pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Going to Apache Junction AZ this fall from Tecumseh NE (southeast). Have car route picked out through KS on 54 to Tucumcari 40 to 180 south. Can we handle our 33 ft. Bounder on this route?? Any suggestions appreciated.

azdryheat

Tucson, AZ

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/11/18 06:11pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Get yourself a Motor Carrier's Atlas at any truckstop. It highlights the routes for truckers. Stick with those routes and you'll be fine. I'm not familiar with the 180 south. It runs north from Flagstaff but south?

2013 Chevy 3500HD CC dually
2014 Voltage 3600 toy hauler
2011 Harley Ultra Limited

Passin Thru

N VA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/11/18 07:53pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You can. Don't go across 60 as you have to go down the Salt River Canyon and there is a U 90 degree across the river and a 90 degree followed by hairpins back up.I drove a truck in Co, Az and NM and it and the North Pass on 114 in Co are 2 bad roads. Just go to Flagstaff and take the Interstate (I17) down then go east on the Superstition Freeway to Apache Jct. It's safer if you aren't a mountain driver and just as fast. That's my Opinion as a Professional Truck Driver and I drove 60 every week for 3 years out and back.

2gypsies

Enjoying the West!

View Profile

Posted: 02/11/18 09:00pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The best way is I-40 to Holbrook, AZ then 377/277 to Heber, AZ then west on 260 to Payson and south on 87 into Apache Junction. You'll have a long downhill on 87 - downshift before you start down, not midway. It's multiple lanes and good highway.

Not sure why you'd want to take 180 in New Mexico.

Taking I-40 to I-17 you'll have two long downhills and one big uphill and a lot of Phoenix traffic. The other route is a lot easier.

Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  Travels & Favorite Places

> travel route suggestions
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS