cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Clicking sound in front a/c - heat pump

Tinstar
Explorer
Explorer
I was out camping this past week and the temperatures were pretty cool. I had been running the heat pumps, front and back. The last night we were there, the front unit began clicking. It sounds like one of the fans hitting something as it's rotating. I would guess it's only clicking at a rate of a couple of clicks a second so it's not as fast as I would suspect a fan to be rotating. It's plenty loud and it is definitely a mechanical sound like metal to metal.

I haven't climbed up there yet and thought someone might have some input on what to look for. It may be obvious when I take the cover off but thought I'd ask anyway.
:CNever pass up a chance to go somewhere:C
5 REPLIES 5

Pirate1
Explorer
Explorer
Maybe Trainer will pipe in, he eats these things for breakfast.

ORbiker
Explorer
Explorer
I agree with the icing up thought. With the temperatures being pretty cool there is a good chance.
Backpacker and tent camper all my life. Motorcycle trips with a tent too 1978 to Present. 2016 Grand Design 380TH as of 10-29-2015. Now a New 2018 374TH-R Solitude as of 3-16-19. 10-19-18-traded truck for a 2016 Ram 3500 DRW Laramie Crew Cab 4x4 Long Box.

Pirate1
Explorer
Explorer
I wonder if it was ice buildup? The rooftop heat pumps don't have a defrost like residential. I bet it was ice. Next time take off the cover and look. Watch next day to see water running off the roof.

dkreuzen
Explorer
Explorer
Mine made a clicking sound but only when first starting or when turning off and the condenser fan speed was slow. I found that that fan had slipped on the shaft causing the fan to hid the shroud. Moved the fan about 1/4" and haven't had a problem since.
Dennis
2012 Monaco Knight 36PFT
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
2005 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon on 2007 16' Car Trailer

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
You can change the fan speed to see if it speeds up or slows down. This might help to narrow down the problem.