cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Sirius XM Antenna

2chiefsRus
Explorer
Explorer
We have a Sirius XM receiver that we use on our Harley. We also purchased a boom box for the receiver to use outside on batteries and inside the coach while driving. Works great on the front dash except when we are driving straight North. Anyone else have this set-up - where did you mount your antenna? Inside or through the roof? Looking for suggestions to get a better signal. Thank you.

EDITED TO ADD: Particularly interested in feedback from those folks who have a Class A motorhome. It works fine on the dash when we are in the truck.
Dave & Kathy
2007 Monaco Knight 40PDQ towing 2018 Ford F-150 & 2017 Harley Trike
Fulltime 2007 to 2016, now halftimers
Before you give someone a piece of your mind, make sure you can get by with what will be left.
Our Blog
National Parks Visited
11 REPLIES 11

Range_Maggot_Bo
Explorer
Explorer
drsteve wrote:
sneakygroundbuzzard wrote:
depending on time of day,the satellite is in different positions as it rotates in orbit with the earth.

Sirius XM's two satellites are in geosynchronous orbit. They are always in the same position in the sky.

Jeez- that's what I thought. Sometimes I just wonder...

mikestock
Explorer
Explorer
drsteve wrote:
depending on time of day,the satellite is in different positions as it rotates in orbit with the earth.

Sirius XM's two satellites are in geosynchronous orbit. They are always in the same position in the sky.

I was just about to say the same.

i had the same problem when placing the antenna on the dash. Had XM on the way to Florida but not headed back. Finally mounted it on the roof air horn. That was the only thing on my roof that was magnetic. Taped it down to the horn and have to retape about ever 3 months.

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
I used to use XM a lot. I rode a Goldwing and had the XM docking moduale mounted on the Wing. Worked great until I hit the north side of a tree or mountain.
I continued to use it after we sold the Wing and got into RV'ing. I used to just throw the antenea on the dash. Always worked well. I have several docking pods. I had one mounted in the trailer so I could use the same XM radio between them. I also had the Boombox too. It worked great around the camp spot.
Now we just use Pandora and a JBL flip. It's cheaper and has a way better music variety IMO.
It doesn't cut out unless I don't have a Verizon signal. 95%+ of the time I have music.
Not sure if your're tied into XM or what you have for a smartphone but Pandora is way better.

Sue_N_Diz
Explorer
Explorer
I put my antenna on the metal bar where the old tv was- it works fantastic. In our class A the tv was mounted in an overhead cabinet between the driver and passenger seats. Apparently it transmits right through the fiberglass roof.

Chuck_thehammer
Explorer
Explorer
mag mount on roof... 2 sided tape if needed... cord thru the door jam...

you can get extra mag mount type on e-bay.. even extra long cord.

SAR_Tracker
Explorer
Explorer
I have my portable unit antenna just laying on the dash. Driving North, I get interruptions occasionally. I also get interruptions if driving thru a tree-lined area where the trees are on the south side of the road.
Rusty & Cheryl
2011 F250 2WD 6.2L Gasser
2008 Weekend Warrior FB2100
"Common sense is in spite of, not the result of, education" - Victor Hugo (1802-1885)

rfinley
Explorer
Explorer
drsteve wrote:

RJsfishin
Explorer
Explorer
I have trouble going south...or is it east,....or maybe west. In short, xm has crappy reception in all directions, especially in mountains where there are any trees. It is almost worthless here in most of Oregon. If you think it should work as good as GPS, you right, but it don't, and never will.
I paid for a 1 yr subsciption, and shouldn't have. It really is crappy reception. Never again
Rich

'01 31' Rexall Vision, Generac 5.5k, 1000 watt Honda, PD 9245 conv, 300 watts Solar, 150 watt inv, 2 Cos 6v batts, ammeters, led voltmeters all over the place, KD/sat, 2 Oly Cat heaters w/ ox, and towing a 2012 Liberty, Lowe bass boat, or a Kawi Mule.

drsteve
Explorer
Explorer

2006 Silverado 1500HD Crew Cab 2WD 6.0L 3.73 8600 GVWR
2018 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 223RBS
1991 Palomino Filly PUP

rk911
Explorer
Explorer
when we had a portable receiver we used a magnetic hockey puck style antenna that we placed on top of our CD-changer which was mounted in an overhead cabinet in front of and above the driver's seat. we would occasionally lose the signal going thru mountain passes but otherwise it worked fine.
Rich
Ham Radio, Sport Pilot, Retired 9-1-1 Call Center Administrator
'10 Jeep Liberty KK

& MaggieThe Wonder Beagle

sneakygroundbuz
Explorer
Explorer

i have the antenna on the cab visor of my semi truck,certain times of day(usually very early am and very early pm) i get intermittent reception depending on the direction of travel,this is because the cab visor is lower than the roof line and trailer roof line.they end up blocking the signal when the satellite is closer to the horizon and not high in the sky

the best location for the antenna is any where it has clear view of the sky