Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Wind damage to slide topper
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  Maintenance Issues & Tips

> Wind damage to slide topper

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
rgatijnet1

Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/13/18 04:40am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

msmith1199 wrote:

rgatijnet1 wrote:

I had a single spring go out at 11 years old. I replaced both topper springs and the topper material at the same time. I took the material off, which is not a big deal once you have it apart to change the springs, and took it to a marine cover shop where they duplicated my existing topper fabric for $150.
Tensioning the topper springs can be a challange so you may want to get a mobile mechanic to do that part of the project.

When the spring went out did that enable the topper to blow more while on the road? What I was thinking is maybe the springs are getting old and loose and that is what allowed the wind to catch it and cause the problems.

With one spring broken, it was unable to tension the topper properly. I noticed it before I got on the road so I am not sure that it would have allowed it to be blown loose. I just noticed it sagging with the slide out. My topper also has the aluminum cover that protects it when it is fully retracted.

msmith1199

Reno, NV

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/14/18 12:54pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ArchHoagland wrote:

I still think I'd check with the insurance company. Can't hurt.

Although I realize its covered by insurance, I wouldn’t make a claim on something like this.

2004 National Tropi-Cal T-350, Class A, Triple slide, 330 HP Cat DP.
2017 Jeep Wrangler Sport

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  Maintenance Issues & Tips

> Wind damage to slide topper
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS