cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Southern Cross Country Plan Concern

docsouce
Explorer II
Explorer II
We are leaving around the 16th of June and have 10 weeks to explore. I have the first leg of our run pretty much set. Home,Seekonk Ma,to Tuscaloosa Al. Then US 82 to Lubbock TX. From there Rt.62 to Carlsbad NM. Figure to arrive Carlsbad on the 2nd of July and stay for a few days at the KOA there and explore. From Carlsbad north on Rt. 285 to Roswell (for the Alien Festival which should be a hoot) then Routes 380/60/180 to Holbrook Arizona for a couple of days to check out the Petrified Forest/Painted Desert area. I'm not sure where we are going to head after this. Probably north into the cooler mountains.
Anyway, I have been searching the posts here about the heat in this part of the country, and have seen posts about the road heat blowing tires and to try to stay north of route 60 and such. (I carry a full spare and the tools/jacks to change a flat on the road). We were camping out at Mesa Verde and the 4 corners area 2 years ago in 105 degree weather. Our RV (no toad)is a smaller unit and the engine A/C kept up fine (we didn't need to fire up the generator to assist cooling with the house A/C. So keeping cool isn't an issue, and we tend to do our exploring from the RV because of my wifes handicap so hiking is held to a minimum. I try to limit our travel to 200 to 250 miles per day. OK.. I understand we can't predict the future and that things happen but this is the only time of the year we can get away and really would like to tour this part of the country. Having never been this far south in the summer though concerns me a bit.. The idea of leaving early in the morning and quitting early was presented. Maybe that is a good option.....
2020 JAYCO 26XD
Just right for the two of us!
9 REPLIES 9

rocmoc
Explorer
Explorer
Forest fires in SouthWest (Calif is west coast not Southwest) are mainly in May & June (this year starting early, already having outbreaks because of hot dry winter). Once monsoon season starts there is enough moisture so if a fire is started by lighting they are quickly extinguished. Yes, most rain is in Afternoon. Most important to watch the sky as almost impossible to predict where a thunderstorm will hit. Predictions are for a region.

We call them Washes! Correct don't camp in a wash.

rocmoc n AZ
rocmoc n Great SouthWest USA

agesilaus
Explorer II
Explorer II
Not a native but we've mainly seen the thunderstorms in the later afternoon. You'll be able to see them coming frequently. Do not be in a gully/ravine or whatever you want to call it, when a storm is near or even predicted.

The killer problem is forest fires, nothing destroys a trip like smoke haze and breathing smoke all day.
Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper

rocmoc
Explorer
Explorer
End of June / Beginning of July is the start of Monsoon season for the SouthWest. You can encounter MAJOR thunderstorms anywhere and sleet/corn snow at higher elevations. At lower elevations temp can get to 115. This occurred last summer and NOAA's prediction is more of the same this year, http://www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/products/predictions/long_range/seasonal.php?lead=5 . BUT storms pass quickly and never / rarely ruin a day. Be careful camping under trees. We had a Micro Burst hit directly overhead three summers ago. Blew down 7 large trees around us with one hitting the MH. Just missed the windshield but broke off the mirror and dented the roof. You WILL have a ball.

rocmoc n AZ
rocmoc n Great SouthWest USA

docsouce
Explorer II
Explorer II
As always, great information. That is why this forum is important to me when planning a trip.

New tires with good thread....check
Properly inflated ............check
Not overloaded................will check

Haven't planned beyond the Petrified Forest yet but the idea of northern New Mexico sounds good... We'll see.

Thanks
2020 JAYCO 26XD
Just right for the two of us!

agesilaus
Explorer II
Explorer II
ndrorder wrote:
Only 2 types of people try to predict the weather in NM - fools and new comers.

Expect Carlsbad to be the warmest place you'll visit in NM. As long as your tires are in good shape and properly inflated, the heat shouldn't bother them. Inflation is key, especially the duals.

Cliff

Really?! I found Gila Cliff Dwellings and other places in the southern part of NM to be a lot hotter than Carlsbad. White Sands for example. For one thing you aren't going to stand around outside all that long at the Caves before you drop down to the much cooler Caverns.
Superbumper

ndrorder
Explorer
Explorer
Only 2 types of people try to predict the weather in NM - fools and new comers.

Expect Carlsbad to be the warmest place you'll visit in NM. As long as your tires are in good shape and properly inflated, the heat shouldn't bother them. Inflation is key, especially the duals.

Cliff

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
As long as your tires have good tread, are not more than 4-5 yrs old, you are not overloaded, and you have ERS I would not worry about the tires. They are designed for those temps. Those of us who live in those temps regularly over 100 and often 105 or higher donโ€™t worry about it driving all summer it it. I have towed my 5er for as long as 10 hours with the truck showing outside temp as high as 108 with no problems on the truck or trailer.

Northern NM and southern CO both have some beautiful scenic country and temps in July that may have you running the furnace at night.

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
Most tire issues are poor quality ST tires on trailers.

agesilaus
Explorer II
Explorer II
We have, for the most part, gone out into that area every single summer for maybe 3 decades. When we towed a popup with 12 inch tires, yeah we did have blowouts. Frequently too and that was a PITA. Over the years we moved up to a towed trailer and then to a 5th wheel. The 5ver has occasional tire problems, a good tire pressure monitor reduces that somewhat. Mostly this gets blamed on Chinese made tires. Our trucks have never had tire problems.

As for the heat, yes it does get hot. Altitude helps a lot. But getting up early and doing your hiking and touring works. And by early I mean on the road by 7 AM quit at 10 or 11AM in some places (Arches is extremely hot for example.). But you can still car tour in your air conditioned vehicle, and even get out and walk for 30 minutes or a little more. Even in the afternoon. Just carry lots of water and drink it.
Superbumper