Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: RVing in Canada and Alaska: Travel time?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RVing in Canada and Alaska

Open Roads Forum  >  RVing in Canada and Alaska  >  Canada

> Travel time?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
MDKMDK

Canada

View Profile

Posted: 02/12/18 06:59pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

In fall 2015, we did GNP starting at Great Falls MT, we just dialed the St. Mary entrance into the Garmin and let it pick the route. Took us in through US89. From there we did GTTS road to Apgar/West Glacier. From there we dialed in Banff, and it took us west then north through Whitefish along US2/US93 to the Canadian border crossing at Roosville BC. It kept us on 93 north to Radium Hot Springs, and then we followed 93 through the mountains and wound up at Castle Junction. It was a nice drive, not a lot of traffic, and we could go at pretty much our own pace. From CJ, it was a back track down the TC (Canada 1) to Banff for a day/night, and then back north to Jasper NP with a stop at Lake Louise. It was worth the time to stop at Lake Louise just to see the color of the rock flour in the water. It's really picturesque. At that point, you can choose your route home. Like Wyoming/Montana/Colorado, the prairies in western Canada are notoriously windy. Heading in and back through the mountains would be my choice time permitting.
Also, if you choose this route, beware the bighorn sheep roaming the streets in Radium Hot Springs, and you might spot a moose by the side of the road along 93 between RHS and CJ. We did. [emoticon]

Mike.
2018 Navion 24V "Goldilocks" 2016 JKU "Red"

Ed Rana2

Arizona

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/13/18 06:14am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We arrived in Kalispell around the 20th of May and spent 10 days on the west and east side of Glacier then on to Waterton National Park in Alberta. It was great. We then drove through Calgary and up in to Banff. Agree with the earlier post about the drive from Calgary to Banff as just beautiful. Canadian schools don’t close till near the end of June so not crazy busy but there were crowds. We found the campground at Lake Louise to be a bit quieter than Banff, more to my taste as well. Highway to the top in Glacier did not open until arond 4th of July, so we did miss that.
Consider making a loop, time of year will matter.

Ed & Sally
2005 Jayco Jayflight 28'
2015 Chevy 2500

TxGearhead

Texas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/13/18 07:29am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Good info. I will likely take a tour bus for the GTTS road. I think going up the east side to Lake Louise and looping back down the west side on 95 will work for me.

2018 Ram 3500 CC LB DRW 4X4 Cummins Aisin Laramie Pearl White
2014 Montana High Country 305RL
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4
2014 NauticStar 21 ShallowBay 150HP Yamaha
2016 GoDevil 18X44 35HP Surface Drive

trigley

Central Alberta

View Profile

Posted: 02/13/18 09:40am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Lake Louise and the eastern part of Yoho National Park as far as Field or Emerald Lake are must sees. The Castle Mountain - Radium route is more scenic than the Golden -Radium section. Both are good roads.

MDKMDK

Canada

View Profile

Posted: 02/13/18 11:16am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

TxGearhead wrote:

Good info. I will likely take a tour bus for the GTTS road. I think going up the east side to Lake Louise and looping back down the west side on 95 will work for me.

Excellent idea. (just noticed the size/length of your setup - they won't let you drive GTTS while hooked up) [emoticon]

timandsusan

San Antonio, Texas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/14/18 05:59am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We have RV'd to that area 2 times and visited without the RV several times. All were great trips even in winter. Here are a few experiences.
1. It can snow any month of the year in the Banff area. We have experienced it.
2. On one July 4th trip for a week, we found the high elevation lakes still frozen and with a lot of snow still around.
3. Bring your Texas winter clothes--they will work great in the summer in Banff!

TxGearhead

Texas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/14/18 10:04am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

MDKMDK wrote:

TxGearhead wrote:

Excellent idea. (just noticed the size/length of your setup - they won't let you drive GTTS while hooked up) [emoticon]

So your saying go to Lake Louise and then backtrack to Castle Junction and go west on 93 to Radium Hot Springs?

GTTSR....No, I can't take the cabover on it. Not worth taking it off for just a few hours. I could be pretty far on down the road in that time. If/when we take the 5th wheel, yes unhook and drive it.

We've got a packed schedule this summer and early fall. Two new grandbabies due July 1, and reservations/tickets into September. If the wife wants to stay close to the new babies, I might be able to skip something and squeeze this in this year by myself.

Kevinwa

Western canada

View Profile

Posted: 02/14/18 10:09am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have been to both glacier NP and Banff last year. If you have the time it is definitely worth it as a scouting trip. Highlights in Banff are Johnston canyon, lake Louise and if crowds don’t bother you, bow falls right in the town of Banff. As for going through castle junction straight to radium, or going through golden, both have great things to see. I have heard that emerald lake near field is beautiful. We like the canyon RV resort in radium and tunnel mountain in Banff. The are pretty rv park like and less rustic, but that works Us with the young kids. Lots of the small parks Canada campgrounds close mid sept, but their website has the closing dates on everything. Pack winter and summer clothes, easy,to have -10 C and a foot of snow and then +30C two days later in Banff in sept.

Waterton is also worth a stop, it is basically the Canadian side of glacier. Red rock canyon was really cool, the rocks in the water were the colour of raw beef.
We crossed at the chief mountain border crossing, but it isn’t opened year round so check ahead.

jamesu

Camano Island, WA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/20/18 05:45am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I’ve been up there several times. Not really sure what you want to accomplish by taking a “quick trip” up into the Canadian Rockies, but I would advise taking a that “quick trip” to Glacier NP instead. Make the Calgary/Banff NP trip a separate trip at a later time. The Canadian Rockies are too special to nibble like leftover scraps. I have always said that our beautiful Glacier NP is merely an hor ‘d oeuvre before crossing the border and traveling through Banff NP to Jasper NP. For a “quick trip” I suggest Glacier NP and then head over the border to Watertown Lakes NP which joins Glacier on the Canadian side. Just be aware that both parks have been impacted by major forest fires the past few seasons.

2011 Chevy 2500 Duramax diesel
2016 Creekside 26RLS
Go Cougs!

padredw

East Texas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/20/18 08:02am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Quote:

St. Mary Montana, up HWY 2 to Calgary, then Banff

In August, 2017, we pulled out fifth-wheel down from Banff to Waterton Lakes National Park (in Canada, adjoining Glacier National Park in US).

This is a drive of 245 miles or approximately 5 hours, or a bit less, via Canada 2. (we actually took Alberta 22, which is a bit shorter (235 miles).

Direct from St. Mary, East Glacier, up Canada 2 is 258 miles--I would figure a bit more than 5 hours.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  RVing in Canada and Alaska  >  Canada

> Travel time?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RVing in Canada and Alaska

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS