cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Champion Dual Fuel Inverter Q.C. to RV On Board Propane

hbillsmith
Explorer
Explorer

I believe this assembly diagram and parts list has everything anyone will need that desires to run their Champion Duel Fuel Inverter by using their RV or trailer's onboard quick connect (aka the BBQ propane port).

The 4 fittings required should cost about $25 total. The mod retains the ability to run off a portable propane tank so both onboard and portable can work. When running from OnBoard, the RV's onboard regulators control propane flow. When running from a tank, the supplied inverter's regulator controls flow.

This mod does not change or alter the way running the unit off of gasoline works, that stays the same.

Lastly, if you want to operate on propane further away from the RV you can simply buy a Propane Extension hose (10ft, 12ft or 25ft) and run the extension hose from the RV onboard port to the Inverter's safety valve/fuel flow diaphragm.

Moderator edit to re-size picture to forum recommended limit of 640px maximum width.

F O L L O W U P
My initial concern was that the RV Quick Connect system flows thru a 1/4 inch Quick Connect adapter. The Champion fuel feed passes thru a reducer just as it enters the Safety Valve (1/4" to 1/8"). F.R.Forum member "clutchD" and others have been reporting good success with the Champion Dual Fuel Inverters for quite some time so this stuff is probably moot. But just for grins, I continued my research working to ensure that the trailer's On Board Propane port would provide sufficient flow. I contacted Champion, Forest River, a Propane Equipment Supplier and a few others I've forgotten now.

The only thing left to do if one wants to be even more accurate would be to buy/borrow a Propane Pressure test gauge. Those gauges cost about $100 and come with a male quick connect that would plug right into the QC port. In the mean time, this may be helpful to go along with the diagram:

Champion Inverter Gas Supply required: โ€œYou need 1/2 PSI with a flow rate of at least 76,000 BTU/hourโ€

From Propane Gas Expert: โ€œMost Propane equipment runs at 1/2 PSI and equals approximately 14 WC with maximum flow of 200 BTU/hourโ€

Typical RV Propane QC Port Delivers: .39 psi equals approximately 10โ€ to 11โ€ Water Column and provides 160,000 BTU/hour

F.R. Suburban RV furnace Install Guide: โ€œGas supply pressure for purposes of input adjustment: Minimum โ€“ 11โ€ WC / Maximum 13โ€ WCโ€
Wildcat2016-295rsx GMC2015-2500HD-DblCab D'max/Allisn+4x4 6.6'Bed
Maxxis235/80/16E;Andersen Ultimate2+4"offset;Airlft1 WirelessComp;GroundCtrl3;MorRyde RubbPinBox+CRE3000;3-Slidecovrs;Champion3100w/DIY ExtndRun;10'Portabote+5hp;Furrion48cam
Visited States
15 REPLIES 15

valhalla360
Nomad
Nomad
SWFL FlyFisher wrote:

Right now I can't see any reason not to try the 3100 for $849 shipped.

Just bought the Champion 4500w dual fuel/electric start for $825 on amazon (free shipping). Move quick as the prices seem to change every few days.

That said, I'll take a couple separate propane tanks rather than tap into the RV propane system.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

Old_Days
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have the Ryobi 900 watt propane generator it works great. I only use it when the solar can't keep up but that hasn't happen in 3 years.

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
I bought this 700w that connects direct to high pressure propane cylinder. Just to charge the battery if solar proves inadequate.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Baja-900-Watt-Propane-Powered-Inverter-Generator-BAI911LP/306283803

(was Ryobi brand when I purchased)

acjudd
Explorer
Explorer
I am trying to do the same thing with a slightly different model of Champion Dual Fuel generator. My problem is that I can't get the first stage regulator off the safety valve. It won't budge. Any tips on how to accomplish this?

Weluv2rv
Explorer
Explorer
This is GREAT info for this RV newbie! I am wondering if there is any newer info since this thread appears to be several years old. Newer Champion models that will work with this system, etc.?

Anyone have any other success stories with other brands, etc.? Iโ€™m still looking at Champion, but they probably have newer models since this 2018 thread.

Also, I have dual A/Cs, which will likely require a bigger gen anyway.

Thanks again!

LiamBlack
Explorer
Explorer
SWFL FlyFisher wrote:
hbillsmith wrote:

Thanks for the positive comment. By the way, be sure you understand that there are 3 models of that Champion Inverter/Generator. The Costco 3100 model is the least powerful rated at only 2800 on Propane.

This could be an issue if you need to run your A/C. Cabelas, Camping World and a few others sell the 3400 Model and the 3500 Model. Those two, though rated slightly different, are actually identical (verified with CPE). There are multiple users here on the forum and on YouTube that have had success with the the higher capacity units running their A/C.

Also, be aware that though these units come with electric start, they do not have Remote start. Some folks are waiting for them to come out with a remote start version.

Have a beautiful day and good luck with however you decide to go.

I did see that the Champion through Costco is a 3100/2800. Our A/C is a 13.5 and Champion says the 3100 will start and run it. I figure I can order one and try - If it works, great, if it doesn't I just return it to my local Costco, no questions asked. In addition to an easy return if needed, the warranty is doubled when I use my Costco VISA to buy it.

Already managed to try it out? I'm interested in a review of it.

Edd505
Explorer
Explorer
I have run a Champion 3100I for a couple years. It will run a single A/C. Remember it's 30 amps so A/C or Micro wave not both.
2015 F350 FX4 SRW 6.7 Crew, longbed - 2017 Durango Gold 353RKT
2006 F350 SRW 6.0 crew longbed sold
2000 F250 SRW 7.3 extended longbed airbags sold
2001 Western Star 4900EX sold
Jayco Eagle 30.5BHLT sold, Layton 24.5LT sold

Unyalli
Explorer
Explorer
SWFL FlyFisher wrote:

800 more reliable long lasting watts than Honda 2000 for $150 less? Must agree.

-Jeff
2016 Cougar 26RBI
2015 Ford F150 CC 3.5L Ecoboost Max Tow

SWFL_FlyFisher
Explorer
Explorer
hbillsmith wrote:

Thanks for the positive comment. By the way, be sure you understand that there are 3 models of that Champion Inverter/Generator. The Costco 3100 model is the least powerful rated at only 2800 on Propane.

This could be an issue if you need to run your A/C. Cabelas, Camping World and a few others sell the 3400 Model and the 3500 Model. Those two, though rated slightly different, are actually identical (verified with CPE). There are multiple users here on the forum and on YouTube that have had success with the the higher capacity units running their A/C.

Also, be aware that though these units come with electric start, they do not have Remote start. Some folks are waiting for them to come out with a remote start version.

I did see that the Champion through Costco is a 3100/2800. Our A/C is a 13.5 and Champion says the 3100 will start and run it. I figure I can order one and try - If it works, great, if it doesn't I just return it to my local Costco, no questions asked. In addition to an easy return if needed, the warranty is doubled when I use my Costco VISA to buy it.

sgfrye
Explorer
Explorer
thank you for sharing the information. i bought this exact model last summer and have used it with gas and propane. it runs my rv ac and other things great. nice to have simple explanation on running off my on board propane. btw im very happy with this model. i use it around the house and garage for other things as well.

hbillsmith
Explorer
Explorer
SWFL FlyFisher wrote:
I for one appreciate the timely post as I'm just about to order a dual fuel Champion from Costco.com...

Maxxis235/80/16E;Andersen Ultimate2+4"offset;Airlft1 WirelessComp;GroundCtrl3;MorRyde RubbPinBox+CRE3000;3-Slidecovrs;Champion3100w/DIY ExtndRun;10'Portabote+5hp;Furrion48cam
Visited States

SWFL_FlyFisher
Explorer
Explorer
hbillsmith wrote:

I have no idea what this comment is referring too? The thread is all about how to hook up a propane inverter to your trailers on board propane port.

It isn't intended to advertise anything at all. I put that diagram together myself by finding photos and photos of parts and bringing them together to show a logical flow. I did this in Photoshop. The solution was described initialing in a 2 year old thread by another forum user.

Advertising? Good Sam ad? Ridiculous.

Agreed. I for one appreciate the timely post as I'm just about to order a dual fuel Champion from Costco.com...

hbillsmith
Explorer
Explorer
Edd505 wrote:
This appears to be advertising. I was emailed no advertising when I had a vehicle in my signature mark for sale. This appears it's a Good Sam's ad so nothing will be said.

I have no idea what this comment is referring too? The thread is all about how to hook up a propane inverter to your trailers on board propane port.

It isn't intended to advertise anything at all. I put that diagram together myself by finding photos and photos of parts and bringing them together to show a logical flow. I did this in Photoshop. The solution was described initialing in a 2 year old thread by another forum user.

Advertising? Good Sam ad? Ridiculous.
Visited States

Edd505
Explorer
Explorer
This appears to be advertising. I was emailed no advertising when I had a vehicle in my signature mark for sale. This appears it's a Good Sam's ad so nothing will be said.
2015 F350 FX4 SRW 6.7 Crew, longbed - 2017 Durango Gold 353RKT
2006 F350 SRW 6.0 crew longbed sold
2000 F250 SRW 7.3 extended longbed airbags sold
2001 Western Star 4900EX sold
Jayco Eagle 30.5BHLT sold, Layton 24.5LT sold