cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Best Route to take out of Yellowstone heading east?

RV-Menace
Explorer
Explorer
Going to be traveling out to Yellowstone this summer from Phoenix with a 26 foot TT, pulled by a Suburban 2500 and wanted to ask anyone with experience on routes when leaving Yellowstone and heading towards Minnesota. Thanks in advance......
6 REPLIES 6

vjstangelo
Explorer
Explorer
If you arenโ€™t pressed for time, try leaving north on 89 through Gardiner, head up to I90, 90 east through Billings, and stop in Hardin to see Little Bighorn. There is a KOA nearby.
2012 Winnebago Vista 32K
2011 Honda CRV Toad

texasjayco
Explorer
Explorer
MDKMDK wrote:
X2 on Cody, WY.

X3 on Cody. Stayed a night there last Sept (Buffalo Bill State Park) going from Rushmore to Yellowstone/Tetons, and really regretted not allowing more time. We did the rodeo while there, but so much more to do.

We took hwy 14 from Cody to the park and the road is your typical mountain highway. Steep in some areas and some switchbacks, but nothing too crazy. But an absolutely beautiful drive!! There were plenty of pull-outs to let the cars behind go by, so I never felt like I was holding anyone up.

Mark
2022 Jayco Pinnacle 32RLTS
2022 Ford F-450 Limited Diesel Dually

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
I'd advise you to also read the link that Mortimer Brewster provided. It's very good information on driving all the entrances to Yellowstone.

I hope you're also going to Grand Teton Nat'l Park attached to Yellowstone to the south. It's completely different in looks and things to do... highly recommended. Then you can go yet another way out of the area!
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

Mortimer_Brewst
Explorer
Explorer
This article should help. Scroll down to the section on the Big Horn Mountains.
If ethics are poor at the top, that behavior is copied down through the organization - Robert Noyce

2018 Chevy Silverado 3500 SRW Duramax
2019 Coachmen Chaparral 298RLS

MDKMDK
Explorer
Explorer
X2 on Cody, WY.

I vaguely recall once you get east of Cody, heading towards the nearest interstate, there was at least one roadway that was a bit hairy to drive, hairpin switchbacks and steep up/down hill grades, but I could be mistaken. Might have been somewhere else.
Mike. Comments are anecdotal or personal opinions, and worth what you paid for them.
2018 (2017 Sprinter Cab Chassis) Navion24V + 2016 Wrangler JKU (sold @ ????)
2016 Sunstar 26HE, V10, 3V, 6 Speed (sold @ 4600 miles)
2002 Roadtrek C190P (sold @ 315,000kms)

guidry
Explorer
Explorer
A few years ago we exited the east entrance, highway 14 and had a blast in Cody, WY. The drive was easy and very scenic. Iโ€™m not sure about the rest of the route but Iโ€™d highly recommend using that exit and staying in Cody.