Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Roads and Routes: Kingman to Cottonwood, Az
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Roads and Routes

Open Roads Forum  >  Roads and Routes

> Kingman to Cottonwood, Az

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Jbrowland

Planning my next trip

View Profile

Posted: 02/13/18 12:53am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Anything to be cautious of pulling a 24 foot TT from Kingman, Az to Cottonwood, Az via 40 to 89 to 89a into Dead Horse Ranch SP? 89a looks a little curvy and I am guessing there is an elevation gain? Thanks!

accsys

Green Cove Springs, FL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/13/18 06:16am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You have all the curves because you are climbing a mountain to get to and down from Jerome. According to Google Maps it is only six minutes longer to go the I-40, I-17, AZ-30 route though it is 30 miles farther and much easier.

From the Mountain Directory West: Going north on 89A (towards Jerome from Prescott/Chino Valley) you will encounter 4½ miles of 6-7 percent grades with 15-20 MPH curves and then 2 miles of 4 percent grades to the top coming down you would come through Jerome with some very narrow streets and an extremely sharp curve and a short section of 10-12 percent grades and then 3½ miles of 6 percent grades with sharp curves going down to Cottonwood.

John & Doris
Doris and Robbies Blogs
2007 Tiffin Phaeton QDH 40 w/Cat 7 350
2004 Liberty Renegade 4x4 Toad
Roadmaster Falcon 2 tow bar
Air Force One toad braking system
FMCA F380583, PA, Good Sams

azrving

Quartzsite

View Profile

Posted: 02/13/18 06:25am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Dont go through Jerome and dont take 89A south through Sedona. "A" is for adventure. [emoticon]

harley-dave

ummm, where are we again..

View Profile

Posted: 02/13/18 07:03am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Best way is I40 to Flagstaff, I17 South to the Cottonwood exit (exit 287). Parts of 89 and 89A are very steep with switch backs, other parts just switch backs. Avoid Jerome and 89A Flagstaff to Cottonwood as said previously. Length limits on these are 40 feet or less if I remember correctly.

Dave

2005 Winnebago-Itasca Sundancer 31C
2010 Harley-Davidson Soft tail Deluxe
2014 Harley-Davidson Street Glide Special
1999 Chevrolet Tracker 4X4
SKP # 121272

Desert Captain

Tucson

View Profile

Posted: 02/13/18 07:46am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The three previous posts offer very good advice. The OP would do well to heed it. Since he has the option to park the TT at Dead Horse, a very nice CG by the way, and explore Jerome from the comfort and safety of his TV, that would be my recommendation. When in Jerome get up to Haunted Hamburger for the most spectacular views and a great burger.

[emoticon]

hornet28

Muskegon

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/13/18 07:56am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I've been behind overheated/burning brakes more than once coming over from Prescott to Cottonwood via Jerome. So unless you're familiar with mountain driving and downshifting instead riding the brakes go by way of the interstate as listed above

azrving

Quartzsite

View Profile

Posted: 02/13/18 08:10am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I was boondocking east of Cottonwood and figured I'd go through Jerome on my way down to Congress. We went to the TSC for propane in the pick up and thought I'd run up to Jerome to see what is there. Thank God I didn't go up there with 63 feet of double tow!!!!

There is a sign on 89A up at 17 north of Sedona for no trucks etc over 40 ft??? I dont recall a sign on my way up to Jerome but there has to be something similar. I thought it was on the tight side just driving a pick up through there. A friend wandered through Jerome with a 26 ft TT and long bed pu and didn't think he could squeeze through. People park along the streets and near the curve area making it extra tight.

azdryheat

Tucson, AZ

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/13/18 08:24am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I wouldn't take an RV on the 89A - not an RV friendly road. Use your tow vehicle to see Jerome.

2013 Chevy 3500HD CC dually
2014 Voltage 3600 toy hauler
2011 Harley Ultra Limited

hornet28

Muskegon

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/13/18 08:39am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

azrving wrote:

I thought it was on the tight side just driving a pick up through there. A friend wandered through Jerome with a 26 ft TT and long bed pu and didn't think he could squeeze through. People park along the streets and near the curve area making it extra tight.

It's not that tight. The last time I was up there a semi hauling a flatbed with a dozer came through town headed down to Cottonwood. I followed him down and by the halfway point I could smell his brakes

Jbrowland

Planning my next trip

View Profile

Posted: 02/13/18 08:58am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks folks! You guys and gals are lifesavers again. [emoticon]

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Roads and Routes

> Kingman to Cottonwood, Az
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Roads and Routes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS