cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Kingman to Cottonwood, Az

Jbrowland
Explorer
Explorer
Anything to be cautious of pulling a 24 foot TT from Kingman, Az to Cottonwood, Az via 40 to 89 to 89a into Dead Horse Ranch SP? 89a looks a little curvy and I am guessing there is an elevation gain? Thanks!
13 REPLIES 13

Nutinelse2do
Explorer
Explorer
Knowing the roads there, we would go 40E to 17S, and down.. I would never go through Jerome towing. Itโ€™s great for motorcycles, not rvโ€™s.
Living Our Dream
MTHRSHP - 2006 KSDP 3912
Cummins 350ISL...Spartan Chassis
ESC POD - 2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Zippy Scoot- 2018 Honda PCX 150 on an Overbilt Lift
Shredder at the Rainbow Bridge - You Will Always Be With Us

RGar974417
Explorer
Explorer
20 years ago we pulled a 24 ft TT from Williams through Sedona to Cottonwood to Dead Horse Ranch SP.It was a sometimes steep winding road but we did it. I wouldn't want to go north on it but going south was OK. jerome is a neat place. We visited the former mine owners mansion,the Gold Kong Mine, Tuzigoot and Ft Verde Army post.

seagrace
Explorer
Explorer
If I could add to the above, I was at Dead Horse this past weekend. The road into Cottonwood going west (260) is under construction, with some rough transitions. Even going slow, stuff was a mess when I finally got through it. Coming from the north, I would recommend exiting at Cornville Road, then heading west to Cottonwood.

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
Jerome is being mentioned and since you're coming from Kingman via I-40 you won't be passing through Jerome (but do go there once your RV is parked). Dead Horse Ranch State Park is an beautiful place to stay.

So... from Kingman with a 24' TT you 'could' take 89A into Sedona and on to Cottonwood. However, it's a winding, steep drive into Sedona. Just downshift before heading down. Last spring they were doing major road work so you might want to check if it's completed. A bigger issue taking 89A is going through Sedona. It's awful driving - very slow and congested.

Having said all that I'd recommend you take I-17 from Flagstaff to the Cottonwood exit. You will still have a long downhill doing this.

Have a good trip!
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

Jbrowland
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks folks! You guys and gals are lifesavers again. ๐Ÿ™‚

hornet28
Explorer
Explorer
azrving wrote:

I thought it was on the tight side just driving a pick up through there. A friend wandered through Jerome with a 26 ft TT and long bed pu and didn't think he could squeeze through. People park along the streets and near the curve area making it extra tight.

It's not that tight. The last time I was up there a semi hauling a flatbed with a dozer came through town headed down to Cottonwood. I followed him down and by the halfway point I could smell his brakes

azdryheat
Explorer
Explorer
I wouldn't take an RV on the 89A - not an RV friendly road. Use your tow vehicle to see Jerome.
2013 Chevy 3500HD CC dually
2014 Voltage 3600 toy hauler
2019 RZR 1000XP TRE

azrving
Explorer
Explorer
I was boondocking east of Cottonwood and figured I'd go through Jerome on my way down to Congress. We went to the TSC for propane in the pick up and thought I'd run up to Jerome to see what is there. Thank God I didn't go up there with 63 feet of double tow!!!!

There is a sign on 89A up at 17 north of Sedona for no trucks etc over 40 ft??? I dont recall a sign on my way up to Jerome but there has to be something similar. I thought it was on the tight side just driving a pick up through there. A friend wandered through Jerome with a 26 ft TT and long bed pu and didn't think he could squeeze through. People park along the streets and near the curve area making it extra tight.

hornet28
Explorer
Explorer
I've been behind overheated/burning brakes more than once coming over from Prescott to Cottonwood via Jerome. So unless you're familiar with mountain driving and downshifting instead riding the brakes go by way of the interstate as listed above

Desert_Captain
Explorer II
Explorer II
The three previous posts offer very good advice. The OP would do well to heed it. Since he has the option to park the TT at Dead Horse, a very nice CG by the way, and explore Jerome from the comfort and safety of his TV, that would be my recommendation. When in Jerome get up to Haunted Hamburger for the most spectacular views and a great burger.

:C

harley-dave
Explorer
Explorer
Best way is I40 to Flagstaff, I17 South to the Cottonwood exit (exit 287). Parts of 89 and 89A are very steep with switch backs, other parts just switch backs. Avoid Jerome and 89A Flagstaff to Cottonwood as said previously. Length limits on these are 40 feet or less if I remember correctly.

Dave
2005 Winnebago-Itasca Sundancer 31C
2010 Harley-Davidson Soft tail Deluxe
2014 Harley-Davidson Street Glide Special
1999 Chevrolet Tracker 4X4
SKP # 121272

azrving
Explorer
Explorer
Dont go through Jerome and dont take 89A south through Sedona. "A" is for adventure. ๐Ÿ™‚

accsys
Explorer
Explorer
You have all the curves because you are climbing a mountain to get to and down from Jerome. According to Google Maps it is only six minutes longer to go the I-40, I-17, AZ-30 route though it is 30 miles farther and much easier.

From the Mountain Directory West: Going north on 89A (towards Jerome from Prescott/Chino Valley) you will encounter 4ยฝ miles of 6-7 percent grades with 15-20 MPH curves and then 2 miles of 4 percent grades to the top coming down you would come through Jerome with some very narrow streets and an extremely sharp curve and a short section of 10-12 percent grades and then 3ยฝ miles of 6 percent grades with sharp curves going down to Cottonwood.
John & Doris
Doris and Robbies Blogs
2017 Cedar Creek Cottage 40 CCK
FMCA F380583, PA, Good Sams