Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Alaska - can it be done?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Roads and Routes

Open Roads Forum  >  Roads and Routes

> Alaska - can it be done?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
obiwancanoli

Napa

View Profile

Posted: 02/13/18 07:29am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Bucket List item - an adventure to Alaska, including National Parks... I've a Class A, 35', and would love to plan a road trip to Alaska. I live in California, and have heard the roads getting there, and around there, aren't really good for most travel with an RV, or similar vehicles.

If true, it's disappointing. If not, how best to organize such an adventure?

Thank you for any help & guidance!

donn0128

Pronounced Ore-gun

View Profile

Posted: 02/13/18 07:34am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Please do some reading. Main roads to and in Alaska are fine. If you want to go up the Dempster highway or any of the other secondary roads, then yea, there will be a lot of gravel.

Don,Lorri,and Charlie Bear 2016
The Other Dallas

DownTheAvenue

Sunny South

View Profile

Posted: 02/13/18 07:36am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Oh please, thousands, if not hundreds of thousands make the trip annually. Even me! Some of the roads are rough, and some gravel, but all are quite passable. Your best source is the Mile Post, a mile by mile guide of the roads "up North." You cab find it on Amazon and at many book stores. Also check out YouTube and see the many videos of the roads. It is a great trip well worth it!

naturist

Lynchburg, VA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/13/18 07:47am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If they can take an 18 wheeler there, you can get there in an RV. And they take 18 wheelers there all the time.
Needless to say, you do have to drive at speeds suitable to conditions, meaning, of course, no 70 mph dashes on the gravel, please.

obiwancanoli

Napa

View Profile

Posted: 02/13/18 07:54am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Very encouraging, thank you all!

kerrlakeRoo

Va

View Profile

Posted: 02/13/18 08:20am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Along with Milepost, visit Alaska's dept of tourism website, they have a lot of maps, brochures, etc to help with planning as does the Yukon Territory.

DrewE

Vermont

View Profile

Posted: 02/13/18 08:49am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It absolutely can be done; in fact, I did last year. Here's a travelogue thread with pictures and such.

Not all of the national parks in Alaska are accessible by road; indeed, I think only Denali and Wrangel-St. Elias are actually penetrated by roads connected to the main highway system, and a couple of the others are at least visible from roads. That, of course, is true whether you have an RV or a Humvee or some other vehicle.

The major paved roads are in perfectly acceptable condition and would pose no real trouble for any RV, though there are of course repair and construction breaks here and there. They are not glass-smooth freeways, but they are okay roads. Some of the dirt/gravel roads can be pretty rough, but far from impassable for at least a good many RVs if one exercises a little bit of caution and minds the weather. Some of them also lead to fascinating and beautiful areas.

ppine

Northern Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 02/13/18 09:02am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Read the Milepost every night before you go to sleep.
I have been to Alaska more than 10 times and love the place, but I have never driven up there. I have taken the ferry twice, a cruse shop once and airplanes the rest of the time.

I have never wanted to drive up. It is far. Gas stations are sometimes 100 miles apart. The ferry is great, so is flying to Anchorage and renting an RV.

2oldman

Farmington NM

View Profile

Posted: 02/13/18 09:36am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Alaska forum

bobsallyh

Livingston, TX.

View Profile

Posted: 02/13/18 10:00am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We went up in 2014 with our dually crew cab and 40' fifth wheel. Piece of cake. BUT you must budget in extra time for slow driving in certain areas of Canada and Alaska. Some will be missing pavement, others in repair with single lane and a pilot car. SLOW is good or you will have damage to the rig.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Roads and Routes

> Alaska - can it be done?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Roads and Routes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS