Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Alaska - can it be done?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Roads and Routes

Open Roads Forum  >  Roads and Routes

> Alaska - can it be done?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
PawPaw_n_Gram

On the Road Somewhere

View Profile

Posted: 02/13/18 10:07am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Heck, if you are worried about the roads which a few thousand RVs take each year, everything from pop-ups and truck campers to 43 ft diesel pushers, you could always take the ferry.

The Alaska Marine Highway ferry boats are used to moving rigs like yours. I say a dozen 35-40 ft 5ers lined up to get on the ferry when we visited Juneau on cruise ship a few years ago. There is a nice USFS campground just outside Juneau, and the only way to get an RV there is via the ferry.

Full-Time 2014 - ????

2012 Ram 2500 Mega Cab
2014 Flagstaff 832IKBS TT

2gypsies

Enjoying the West!

View Profile

Posted: 02/13/18 10:22am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

obiwancanoli wrote:

.... how best to organize such an adventure?

This is surprisingly a very easy trip to plan because there are not many road choices. Your choices will be made in lower Canada. To Alaska most take the Alaskan Hwy. . . returning many choose the Cassier Hwy. Some do the same highway both directions.

It looks like you're in California. If so, head straight up and cross in Washington at the Sumas border crossing - less congested that some others. Plan to spend your first night in nearby Hope, B.C. and regroup. Go grocery shopping, if needed. Go to the bank and exchange some currency if you want to use the great Canadian Provincial campgrounds. Some just have a drop box for your nightly fee. Hope is a neat little town with huge beautiful wood carvings lining the street. Wild Rose RV would be a nice first-night stop.

Purchase the Milepost which is excellent for history and individual area maps. Purchase Mike and Terri Church's book 'Alaskan Camping' which includes Canada and the Yukon. Purchase the TourSaver 2/1 coupon book. All these can be done online.

Then you're ready to go! Plan on spending the whole summer on this trip if you can. How often would you do it? See all you can the first time. You can always return to your favorite places.

The secret to the roads is to not think you'll be traveling at interstate speeds. In many places you'll be going slow but that's o.k. You'll be able to spot the animals easier. You'll have lots of company as you travel and you'll meet up with some of the same people off and on. They're all going to the same places.

You'll see all kinds of RVs and all sizes. There are plenty of campgrounds, RV parks or beautiful boondocking spots. They're all listed in Church's book.

Don't treat your trip as one big trip. Think of it as multiple small ones and you won't become discouraged by the mileage. On this forum is a Canada/Alaska section. Go there for additional reading. I hope you can take this awesome trip! You won't regret it.

* This post was edited 02/13/18 10:28am by 2gypsies *

Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

Lwiddis

El Pueblo Señora la Reina de los Ángeles

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/13/18 10:49am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

"I live in California, and have heard the roads getting around there (Alaska), aren't really good"

You a Californian, as I am, are critizing Alaskan roads from "what you have heard?" They are better than California's roads!

2015 Winnebago 2101DS TT & Chevy Tahoe LTZ, 300 watts WindyNation solar - parallel & MPPT, Trojan T-125s. TALL flagpole for USC & historical flags. Prefer USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, USF&WS, state & county campgrounds. 14 year Army vet. Bicyclist!

accsys

Green Cove Springs, FL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/13/18 01:56pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It's a great trip and you should have no problems. After all you will have the "Italian Force" with you!!!! [emoticon]

John & Doris
Doris and Robbies Blogs
2007 Tiffin Phaeton QDH 40 w/Cat 7 350
2004 Liberty Renegade 4x4 Toad
Roadmaster Falcon 2 tow bar
Air Force One toad braking system
FMCA F380583, PA, Good Sams

accsys

Green Cove Springs, FL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/13/18 01:57pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

.DP

donn0128

Pronounced Ore-gun

View Profile

Posted: 02/13/18 05:18pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Actually its probably better for the OP to take US97 north from Weed. This bypasses all the I5 fiascos including SeaTac. It also puts him east of the Cascades which if he used I5 would have to cross in Canada to get to 97 anyhow. Then its a straight shot north.

Don,Lorri,and Charlie Bear 2016
The Other Dallas

Trackrig

Spent the summer in Conconuly, Wa, MH now in Vanco

View Profile

Posted: 02/13/18 06:11pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

When people see the Alaska plates on my DP, they always ask about the roads. I then ask them is they've driven in California on the cement roads. If they have, and survived, they can certainly survive the trip to Alaska. Just slow down some in northern where the frost heaves are. You aren't in a race to get to Alaska - Canada has just as nice scenery.

Bill

Nodwell RN110 out moose hunting. 4-53 Detroit, Clark 5 spd, 40" wide tracks, 10:00x20 tires, 16,000# capacity, 22,000# weight. You know the mud is getting deep when it's coming in the doors.

obiwancanoli

Napa

View Profile

Posted: 02/13/18 08:31pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Wow, great info., thanks to all. I plan many extended trips, will probably retire 2 years, then 2-3 months on the road at a time, so, AK's on the calendar, huge bucket list planned.... the books are great suggestions, too...

ROBERTSUNRUS

Salem, Oregon

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/13/18 10:48pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

[emoticon] Hi, yes it can and should be done. We went several years ago. We left our home on July 1st. We were gone for 50 days. I made mud flaps for my tow vehicle and bubble wrapped the front of my trailer. I still got rock dings on my trailer, a broken window protector, and a chipped windshield. On the way up in July, the roads were all being repaired with gravel. On the way back in September, the roads were all finished and nice. This is a must do trip, but I recommend not doing it with brand new vehicles because they will get dinged. If there is a way to tell if they are done fixing the roads before you go, it might be easier on you and your vehicles. But it also might be too late in the season to drive there.

"> Bob ">
2005 Airstream Safari 25-B
2000 Lincoln Navigator
2014 F-150 Ecoboost
Equal-i-zer
Yamaha 2400

Moosehead05

FL.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/14/18 06:22am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

if you see red flags or red cones on the side of the road slow down, frost heaves, most of them are marked.freshly graded gravel roads can be bad I put a rock thru a tire,graders shear off rocks leaving sharp pieces in the road.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Roads and Routes

> Alaska - can it be done?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Roads and Routes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS