Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Alaska - can it be done?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Roads and Routes

Open Roads Forum  >  Roads and Routes

> Alaska - can it be done?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev
ppine

Northern Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 02/14/18 09:52am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My aunt and uncle moved to the Kenai in the 1960s. I have had other relatives that moved up in the 1930s. The roads are much better now. Alaska Bob has made the drive 10 times. My aunt recently drove up last summer in an old Crown Victoria. She is 85.

I have driven a rental car from the end of the ferry line at Haines to the Kenai Peninsula through the Yukon for about 650 miles. That was a great trip, but it is awful far to drive up from Los Angeles.

GGeorge

Marietta

View Profile

Posted: 02/17/18 12:41pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I did the trip from May thru Sept 2016. I would leave NOW and do it again if it was not snowing outside my window as I type this. Best suggestion I can give is purchase a dirt/stone protector for the TOAD. I suggest one that attaches to the RV and the other side attaches to the TOAD, this will deflect rocks/stones from your RV tires down and keep the bounce under your TOAD. I needed a $1800 paint job on the TOAD when I returned.

Safe travels

GGeorge
Marietta, Ohio
2014 Coachmen Encounter
2010 Jeep Liberty

Yeti plus

S.W. Ontario

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/17/18 02:08pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

GGeorge wrote:

I did the trip from May thru Sept 2016. I would leave NOW and do it again if it was not snowing outside my window as I type this. Best suggestion I can give is purchase a dirt/stone protector for the TOAD. I suggest one that attaches to the RV and the other side attaches to the TOAD, this will deflect rocks/stones from your RV tires down and keep the bounce under your TOAD. I needed a $1800 paint job on the TOAD when I returned.

Safe travels

This is good advice. We were in a campground on the Kenai peninsula , camped a few spots down from 2 Class A , and the one had a large sheet of plastic taped to the roof. the Class A threw a stone up and it went through the sunroof of the toad. I think they said 3 week delivery on new glass, so the plastic and duct tape worked. So one of those shields would be worth the investment!

2014 Chevrolet 3500 CC 4X4 Duramax, Tork Lift Tiedowns, TorkLift Fastguns, Superhitch and supertruss
2009 Jayco 213
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4

greydog

home

View Profile

Posted: 02/17/18 03:08pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

When I was a kid, in 1957, we lived on mile 36 of the Alaska Highway. We travelled up to Fairbanks in 1959. It was gravel (mud on a rainy day) until we hit the Alaska boarder. From then on the highways were paved and smooth. We met a lot of Texas cars on the road. My grandfather said they were going up because they couldn't believe it was bigger. I and my wife drove up to Whitehorse a couple years back and it was an easy drive but a lot of the gas stops are gone so one wants to keep the tank full unless you have a lot of range. GD

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Roads and Routes

> Alaska - can it be done?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Roads and Routes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS