cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Firefox prevent autoplay and save password drop-down

Wrace
Explorer
Explorer
I'm on FF Quantum 57.0.4. Yes I know it needs updating.

I have a couple of questions. Probably basic stuff but I could us a hand.

What can be done to prevent autoplay on the videos that many websites use these days? Is there a setting in FF, or an add-on?

How do I turn off the drop-down box that descends from the top of the screen asking if I want FF to save the password when signing on to various websites. At this point I'm using My last pass for passwords.

Thanks
4 REPLIES 4

Wrace
Explorer
Explorer
fj12ryder wrote:
Go to the Menu Bar, click on Tools, click on "Privacy and Security" then uncheck the box that says "Remember logins and passwords for websites". I have never had the password question popup.

Thanks. I'll see if that does the trick.

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
Go to the Menu Bar, click on Tools, click on "Privacy and Security" then uncheck the box that says "Remember logins and passwords for websites". I have never had the password question popup.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

Gdetrailer
Explorer III
Explorer III
NoScript should stop pretty much all videos from playing since most websites use JavaScripts to load and start videos.

But just be aware, NoScript can "break" websites by blocking legit JavaScripts as well as the bad ones from running so you will have to fine tune each website you go to by allowing some of the JavaScripts to run.. You have to select and see which ones are needed one at a time..

As far as the password drop down menu goes, yeah, I hate that blasted thing and have never found a way to disable it.. Stupid programmers.

And by the way, each newer version take even more control away..

I would recommend adding Classic Theme Restorer to FireFox, brings back a lot of the custom controls that the stupid programmers ripped out..

Talk about a security risk, storing your passwords in a browser cache is like just whipping the barn doors open to any old hacker/virus/malware..

Community Alumni
Not applicable
I tried this method last week and it worked. However, I went back to the default setting since it will also stop auto-play on all videos, not just the nagging ones that appear in web pages.

For Firefox:

"...type "about:config" in the address bar, hit Enter, and click through the confirmation screen. Search for a setting called "media.autoplay.enabled," then double-click to disable it."

https://www.popsci.com/stop-videos-from-autoplaying#page-3

You should be able to find the settings to turn off savings passwords in the Options or any of the other user windows.