Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Technology Corner: Photo scanning services?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Technology Corner

Open Roads Forum  >  Technology Corner

> Photo scanning services?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
Wrace

Seattle WA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/13/18 12:41pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My late father was a very active amateur photographer and I have a significant amount of 35mm negatives/slides/and prints that I would like to convert to digital. In addition to all the photos that my wife and I have taken prior to the digital age.

I tried to scan them myself using a decent flatbed scanner and the results were actually pretty good. I got through about 30 of them over X amount of time and and realized that there is no way I have the patience or time for the task. It's just not going to happen.

I started searching around for info on the various photo scanning services. Found some info like this review website, but it was done in November 2016.
https://thewirecutter.com/reviews/th...nning-service/

I was considering using Costco first and see how that goes, but it sounds like they just send them out to some other outfit to process.

Anybody have experience in this area? Who did you use, were you happy with the process and the end result?

Thanks

the bear II

Torrance CA.

View Profile

Posted: 02/13/18 01:41pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Places like COSTCO, Walgreens, Walmart Staples and others do send them to a third party business.

Do a search on YELP to find a local business that does Photo to digital conversions. Hopefully there will be some current yelp reviews to guide you to a good one.

I did mine while watching TV over the course of a couple of weeks.

Chuck_thehammer

Ohio, or Very South Texas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/13/18 02:04pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

most larger photo stores.. but make sure "THEY" do it IN HOUSE

I went with the flatbed way.. good flatbed... 20 a night.. hundreds take time...

you do it.. or pay big time for others to do it..

I was quoted 60 cents per.... over 1,000 images... and do not rush them.

Fizz

Ottawa, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 02/13/18 02:04pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My advice.
Find a good service to do it for you.

I bought an adapter for my older Nikon digital, I gave great results but it was long and tedious, never again.

Bumpyroad

Virginia

View Profile

Posted: 02/13/18 02:47pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I copied all my photos with a camera, bought a camera copy stand, fairly easy to switch sizes, adjust coverage, etc. once you have them on a thumb drive, just go to wal mart etc. and print them out. heard an ad on the radio for "free" printing? slides I copied with a slide copier on my Nikon.
most of the prints I copied using an old sony mavica that saved them on an old 3 1/2 inch floppy. very low pixel count but gave great results. which makes sense to me, if it can take a decent picture at infinity it is actually overkill for a 8x10 photo.
bumpy

Wrace

Seattle WA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/13/18 03:12pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks for the replies. A large portion are 35mm slides that were never printed. My dad had slide projector that took some sort of metal cartridge that held multiple slides. I have bunch of these loaded cartridges, and a bunch of loose slides and negatives. You would use a lever that advanced the cartridge to the next slide as I recall.

I think the projector and screen is still in the attic at my sisters house. She is going to take a look.

Looking through yelp now.

Second Chance

Wherever...

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/13/18 03:22pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have digitized over 10,000 photos from my and my late wife's family. I used a Nikon film scanner for 35mm negatives and positives (slides) and a Canon professional flatbed for medium format negatives (I used to shoot medium format and there were a number of MF negs from my dad's parents side) and prints for which I didn't have a neg. Yes, it took a lot of time. On the other hand, I could do restorations as I scanned and I knew the media were being cared for properly.

Rob

U.S. Army retired
2016 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MOR/ryde independent suspension, disc brakes, LR G tires
PullRite OE 18K, Demco Glide Ride pin box
2012 F350 CC DRW Lariat 6.7
Full-time since 8/2015

Wrace

Seattle WA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/13/18 03:45pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I found this place on yelp, and it got very good reviews. Technically not really 'local' as it's about 4 hours away. But having to make the drive twice would be worth it to me to get it done.

This is their pricing page. Please take a look. Cost seems pretty reasonable? Standard pricing is for 600dpi. 1200dpi requires a .30 per image addition. I don't see a need for more than 600dpi for just run of the mill images?

I can bring in a portable HD or thumb drive and they will put the images on them.
http://www.lotusmedia.us/pricing-1.html

Gdetrailer

PA

View Profile

Posted: 02/13/18 04:52pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Wrace wrote:

I found this place on yelp, and it got very good reviews. Technically not really 'local' as it's about 4 hours away. But having to make the drive twice would be worth it to me to get it done.

This is their pricing page. Please take a look. Cost seems pretty reasonable? Standard pricing is for 600dpi. 1200dpi requires a .30 per image addition. I don't see a need for more than 600dpi for just run of the mill images?

I can bring in a portable HD or thumb drive and they will put the images on them.

That is horrible resolution.

I bought a native 2400 DPI manual 35mm and slide scanner many years ago for about $200.

I did that because my Dad wanted to setup his projector one day and we started looking at the slides realizing they were DEGRADING BADLY.

I took on the project at first to scan in my parents wedding pictures for their 40th anniversary. Mom had always fussed that when they got married they couldn't afford a photographer and had one of her Uncles take the photos on slides, she never had prints.

I scanned in the wedding slides then spent two weeks cleaning them with Photoshop to remove the imperfections and damage from time..

Then we had Walmart print them in 8x10s put them into an album along with many other family photos of my brothers and sisters growing up.

My Mom was very happy to have those photos and really cherished the keepsake album.

Took a few years to scan in the rest of my Dads slides and after nearly 4,000 slides I put them all onto DVDs and handed them to my Brothers and Sisters.

I would suggest if you don't want to scan them in yourself then check out Costco or Sam's club. They most likely will send them out to a third party but it will be done for less than many of the other services you will find.

Personally, I would suggest, previewing all of the slides with a projector.

Then decide which ones to scan in and which not to, this will save you from paying for ones that are over or under exposed or just plain no good.

You do also need to understand, NONE of the scanning services will do corrections in brightness/contrast/color/tint.. What you send them will simply get scanned in as is and that is that.

Fixing them will be up to you.

For myself, I am glad I took the time to do it myself, I was able to recover hundreds of photos from slides that were badly exposed and some looked nearly black..

The scanner I bought has many controls to allow me to preview the slide and adjust brightness/contrast/color/tint before scanning in.

Then after scanning in I was able to use Photoshop to fine tune the recovered photo so it almost looked normal.

Most bed scanners simply do not have this level of control..

You could also split up the slides, by a standalone scanner and scan in the "keepers" and for less important slides send them out..

Fizz

Ottawa, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 02/13/18 07:15pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Wrace wrote:

Nothing wrong with 600DPI.
Do a bit of research you will see it is more than adequate for your needs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fh58Npzhci4

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Technology Corner

> Photo scanning services?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Technology Corner

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS