cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Airstream Classic

shanusc
Explorer
Explorer
Looking to buy an Airstream Classic 30RB. I've never owned a bumper pull, any information on how they handle, what to to expect would be helpful.
56 REPLIES 56

Passin_Thru
Explorer
Explorer
What, are you admitting that Texas is full of Trailer Trash? BTW/I still have my 67 Boles Aero but I'm not rebuilding it. The roof on it just collapsed one day. My wife said she wouldn't live in an Airstream Mailing Tube for people.

gmw_photos
Explorer
Explorer
Slowmover wrote:
....much snippage....

And yaโ€™ll gave a good laugh about white boxes lasting. Theyโ€™re permanently at the RV park and rotting the rest of the way. Come on thru Texas and see that in their thousands.

LOL. 'Ya gotta love a guy with a sense of humor ! Always telling funny jokes. Keep 'em coming Slo Mo !

Slowmover
Explorer
Explorer
Moisture meter tells the story. Letโ€™s start stabbing and see how many feet we make it.

Believe otherwise if you want about white plastic box lifespan. Delamination is the normal curse.

Spend the least and get the most applies to buying used and then keeping it up.

Same for tow vehicle. Aero means use a far better choice than a pickup. A TV that could also tow an open trailer for all those homeowner got to have a pickup excuses.

Trailers like these go bad when roof vents disappear or windows get broken. A tree branch destroys roof. AS is harder to keep up with, but the other brands arenโ€™t hard to fix. Iโ€™ve replaced bathroom floors on new to me Silver Streaks twice. Unscrew everything necessary (no staples) and set outside or thru front door. It all fits thru that 27โ€ wide opening. The way it was built. Sister in new, and reverse procedure.

Removing the belly pan can be harder, but itโ€™s mainly an acquaintance with using rivets.

Gutted? Yeah, lots of geniuses find out theyโ€™re not near as smart as the career pros who design these. Itโ€™s beyond sad. Same for painting the interiors. Almost is never better.

Long term value, less work, higher resale. One design only.

Tows far better. Pickup will roll long before trailer. Donโ€™t have to get off road just because of winds. Put family in a better vehicle with a car better safety record.

Run the numbers. Ask those whoโ€™ve had them decades. Nothing else compares when extensive travel is contemplated.

And yaโ€™ll gave a good laugh about white boxes lasting. Theyโ€™re permanently at the RV park and rotting the rest of the way. Come on thru Texas and see that in their thousands. Might be a few near ten years old at PPL worth owning (without delamination and in need of new roofs), but theyโ€™re the exception. Even where they โ€œlastโ€ twenty years, itโ€™s in fear of moving them.

Iโ€™ve watched them come apart on the highway. Not once. A number of times.

A Holiday Rambler could be worth keeping and restoring. A Boles Aero, certainly. But nothing else.

1990 35' SILVER STREAK Sterling, 9k GVWR
2004 DODGE RAM 2WD 305/555 ISB, QC SRW LB NV-5600, 9k GVWR
Hensley Arrow; 11-cpm solo, 17-cpm towing fuel cost

BarneyS
Explorer III
Explorer III
travelnman wrote:
There are some on Craig's list, I like the idea that snow is easier to remove if it sits outside. Did have a camper tell me her's leaked but it was older. Check for signs of this on used ones, they do resist dents better than regular aluminum side RV's that stainless steel does not delaminate either. If I could afford one I would.Hail
always keeps me up at night with my aluminum sided TT.

Airstreams are made of polished aluminum not stainless steel.
Barney
2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch (Sold)
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicles were 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2002 Ford F250, 7.3 PSD, 1997 Ram 2500 5.9 gas engine

travelnman
Explorer
Explorer
There are some on Craig's list, I like the idea that snow is easier to remove if it sits outside. Did have a camper tell me her's leaked but it was older. Check for signs of this on used ones, they do resist dents better than regular aluminum side RV's that stainless steel does not delaminate either. If I could afford one I would.Hail
always keeps me up at night with my aluminum sided TT.

Passin_Thru
Explorer
Explorer
I have a Bumper pull Arctic Fox. It has carpet around the couch and dinette, none on the ceiling. It's a 2004 and we drag it around 13,000 miles every year. I am going from Va-Gulfport Ms-Ft Worth-OKC-Covington OK-Va in April-May. Still have never had a problem with it. Yes I know about the Tornadoes having live in Ok 15 years. That will be a RT of 3300 or so.

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
Durb wrote:
Passin Thru wrote:
I don't believe Airstream Superior. They are grossly overrated and the one my friend used to ahve always reeked of smoke due to the carpeted walls. I have a Arctic Fox and I would trade it even up for a new Airstream. IMHO they are good quality only but develop a leak in one of the riveted seams and you can junk it. I read somewhere the R Value was 7 for an Airstream, 18 for a Arctic Fox.

My Bigfoot trailer had a carpeted ceiling and I liked it. Interesting you tout Arctic Fox. Their fifth wheels have carpeted ceilings.

I think only the Silver Fox line does.

Durb
Explorer
Explorer
Passin Thru wrote:
I don't believe Airstream Superior. They are grossly overrated and the one my friend used to ahve always reeked of smoke due to the carpeted walls. I have a Arctic Fox and I would trade it even up for a new Airstream. IMHO they are good quality only but develop a leak in one of the riveted seams and you can junk it. I read somewhere the R Value was 7 for an Airstream, 18 for a Arctic Fox.

My Bigfoot trailer had a carpeted ceiling and I liked it. Interesting you tout Arctic Fox. Their fifth wheels have carpeted ceilings.

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
gmw photos wrote:
Slowmover wrote:
...snip

The fact remIns that the aero all-aluminum TTs have an indefinite lifespan. Anything else is a joke. Before the finance note expires, itโ€™s junk.

SlowMo, you always say that in every one of these threads.
As always, it's total bunk about white box constructed trailers being, to use your words "a joke....junk before the finance note expires".

Folks that think like that really need to get out more. I'm right now sitting once again for the winter in a Arizona resort, surrounded by snowbirds from all over the country. Most trailers and fifth wheels here are of course "white box trailers".

Many, many of them are 15 to 20 years old, and appear to have many years left in them, still being enjoyed by their owners. Graphics are faded, but that's just cosmetic, and could be easily remedied if they wanted to.

does the word "troll" apply here?
bumpy

NWnative
Explorer
Explorer
We love ours. Starting our 3rd year ownership in rainy WA and no leaks to report. Never been back to dealer for anything. Best built and best handling RV we have owned.
2019 Ford F250 Lariat CrewCab Short Bed 4x4 - 6.2 Gas w/4.30 Axle
2016 Airstream Flying Cloud 30RB / Blue Ox Sway Pro / Rock Tamers
2021 Mazda CX-9 Signature AWD

BarneyS
Explorer III
Explorer III
Slowmover wrote:
Someone show me the threads where those shopping 1980s and 90s plastic trailers to use for extensive travel are located.

The criticisms, as usual, come from those with no relevant experience or line by line comparisons.

The fact remIns that the aero all-aluminum TTs have an indefinite lifespan. Anything else is a joke. Before the finance note expires, itโ€™s junk.

Below is a photo, taken this fall right after Christmas, of our 2004 "plastic" trailer as I was getting it ready for our winter traveling. It has had extensive travel and is used heavily all year round. In fact, we are presently enjoying it in Texas for the winter. I expect it to last many more years also because I am almost anal about maintenance and keeping it leak free. Believe me, our trailer is no joke and it certainly is not junk!
Barney

2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch (Sold)
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicles were 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2002 Ford F250, 7.3 PSD, 1997 Ram 2500 5.9 gas engine

GrandpaKip
Explorer
Explorer
Slowmover wrote:
Someone show me the threads where those shopping 1980s and 90s plastic trailers to use for extensive travel are located.

The criticisms, as usual, come from those with no relevant experience or line by line comparisons.

The exteriors maybe. There are a S-load of gutted Airstreams around. Even in the boonies where I reside. Silverstreaks, too So why are they gutted? Rotted and moldy.
My camper is not a joke. Itโ€™s solid and will stay that way as long as I own it, and I stay at least semi-solid.
I would love to own an old Airstream and redo the insides. Somebody I love is dead set against the idea.
I have never felt my camper is junk. Worth every penny.
Kip
2015 Skyline Dart 214RB
2018 Silverado Double Cab 4x4
Andersen Hitch

Ron3rd
Explorer
Explorer
MSchu wrote:
My wife and I also love the look of the Airstream trailers and could afford one if we really wanted one but I'm too frugal to buy one. Here's the way I look at the value/depreciation debate. if you're looking at a $40k conventional trailer vs a $120k Airstream, in 10 years the conventional trailer might be worn out, and have depreciated the entire $40k while the Airstream might have only depreciated $30k so it looks like a better deal. But if you had invested the $80k difference for that 10 years, it would have appreciated way more than the $10k difference. (If you had put the $80k in the stock market 10 years ago it would probably be worth over $200k right now!)

What you correctly pointed out is neither an Airstream nor another brand is an "investment", but both are a depreciating asset like most cars and trucks.
2016 6.7 CTD 2500 BIG HORN MEGA CAB
2013 Forest River 3001W Windjammer
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

"I have this plan to live forever; so far my plan is working"

gmw_photos
Explorer
Explorer
Slowmover wrote:
...snip

SlowMo, you always say that in every one of these threads.
As always, it's total bunk about white box constructed trailers being, to use your words "a joke....junk before the finance note expires".

Folks that think like that really need to get out more. I'm right now sitting once again for the winter in a Arizona resort, surrounded by snowbirds from all over the country. Most trailers and fifth wheels here are of course "white box trailers".

Many, many of them are 15 to 20 years old, and appear to have many years left in them, still being enjoyed by their owners. Graphics are faded, but that's just cosmetic, and could be easily remedied if they wanted to.