cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

N Nevada/S Idaho - Jarbidge and Murphy Hot Springs Area

TUCQUALA
Explorer
Explorer
Doing initial planning on a trip down to SE Idaho and N Nevada, interested in any comments or experiences in the Jarbidge, NV and the Murphy Hot Springs, ID areas. Looks like the roads (mostly gravel/dirt) are decent, maintained in the summer, and passable for a 34ft trailer and tow vehicle. We run lots of NF backroads in WA and OR, so are comfortable with rough roads!!

Info on the NF & BLM campgrounds in the area, along the Jarbidge River appreciated!! No reviews showing up on RV Park Reviews or Free Campsites. NF sites are the usual vague amount of info. Looking for personal reviews if you've been in the area.

Thanks in advance!!!
'16 Outdoors Timber Ridge 280RKS
Reese 1700# Trunnion w/ DualCam HP
'03 EXCURSION XLT V10 4.30 Axles
69 REPLIES 69

clikrf8
Explorer
Explorer
We were camping at Succor Creek State Park last October when it began to rain after a sunny day. Uh, oh, camping next to Succor Creek in a Canyon the only way out being on gravel roads. We left early and did make it out but the truck was a muddy mucky mess. Beautiful area and plan to explore Leslie Gulch as we had to leave early due to weather. Be aware of rattlers there. We saw a few dead ones and if you rock hound like us, watch where you put your fingers.
2008 Ford F250 SuperDuty 4x4 Off Road Pkg Diesel Ranch Hand Sport Ride Right airbags
2013 Hallmark Ute LX
Toller Mousse: Chocolate Standard Poodle cross
Blitzen: Black Standard Poodle
Photography Website
Photography Blog

clikrf8
Explorer
Explorer
This guy did some exploring of previous hikes. http://www.bobseyes.net/passage-into-the-jarbidge-river-canyon-gorge-revealed/

Interesting how he managed to find his way back using landmarks and cow/goat trails. I didnt like the part about rattlesnakes, though.

Following as we plan to visit next September on the way to southwestern Wyoming, Uintas in Utah and on into Flaming Gorge and Rangely, Co areas.

Please post a trip report when you return. Also, you may want to visit Lamoille Canyon and Ruby Mountains. Beautiful area.

We can get to quite a few places but have to suck it up on washboards. I was wondering about the other ways to access the Jarbidge area area other than from Idaho. Any advice about from the south, east or west? We wanted to approach from western Nevada from north of Winnemucca using 724, 732 and 748. I read that these roads were worse than from Idaho.
2008 Ford F250 SuperDuty 4x4 Off Road Pkg Diesel Ranch Hand Sport Ride Right airbags
2013 Hallmark Ute LX
Toller Mousse: Chocolate Standard Poodle cross
Blitzen: Black Standard Poodle
Photography Website
Photography Blog

nevadanick
Explorer
Explorer
The main roads to Jarbidge are good roads and coming in from Rogerson Id its kept open year around. Be smart where you go away from the main road and enjoy.

tuna_fisher
Explorer
Explorer
Yupper, bentonite nothing slippery. I to lived in western Wyoming, all the dirt roads in the sage flats are like that. Slicker than snot.
2001 GMC DM, 1995 Lance Lite, @005 Eclipse Toyhauler, Toy's!;)

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
Some people cannot imagine what wet clay is like. I used to live in Wyoming where we had pure bentonite, the clay mineral used for drilling lubricant.

I was hunting deer once and we got a big thunderstorm. On a flat road with chains on all 4 wheels we could make no progress and had no choice but to wait for the road to dry out.

Naio
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you, BizmarksMom!
3/4 timing in a DIY van conversion. Backroads, mountains, boondocking, sometimes big cities for a change of pace.

BizmarksMom
Explorer
Explorer
The gravel roads don't turn into goo as quickly as the dirt roads do, but they do turn into bottomless goo.
2019 F350 towing a Nash 22H

pnichols
Explorer II
Explorer II
I fully understand keeping off any wet clay roadway surface with my small Class C .... but I guess I don't understand the wet issue with a graveled road surface??

The photos I looked at for getting to/from the Leslie Gulch and Jarbidge areas seemed to indicated graveled roads, unless I'm missing something.

A "road" consisting of merely a well driven path in the raw desert could of course be a sticky, slippery, soft and sinky mess after any rain.
2005 E450 Itasca 24V Class C

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
Leslie Gulch is an interesting place. Just don't try to climb out of there when it is wet.

tuna_fisher
Explorer
Explorer
My buddy from Bend has been telling me how nice Leslie Gulch is for years, still haven't made it.

BizmarksMom
Explorer
Explorer
This is the boondocking forum, right? We all have self contained rigs and aren't expecting level sites, full hookups, and a swimming pool on site? Just making sure I'm still in the right place.

Yes, people head out into the dryland steppe and get themselves into trouble every year. Most of those people are locals who should really know better. When there's any moisture on that ground it turns into bottomless goo. And it is desert, hot, dry, and no services for miles.

Ok, Owyhee... start off with Succor Creek and Leslie Gulch. Just about any rig out there will make it in with a little care. The road is gravel and really well maintained. Of the two, I prefer Leslie Gulch. The road from Jordan Valley to Grandview gets you to some great country - the road is usually good, you will want high clearance, DO NOT HEAD OUT IF THE ROAD IS WET.

Do your homework and head out with good maps, and compass. There aren't many actual trails. And do not expect a cell signal.

I know, that area is Oregon and Idaho, not Nevada. But the 3 states really do blur together.
2019 F350 towing a Nash 22H

nevadanick
Explorer
Explorer
Nevada is the most mountainous state.

tuna_fisher
Explorer
Explorer
Now if that doesn't sound like a Nevade tourism commercial.

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
Riff raff?? Please -- I much prefer to be called "trailer trash." ๐Ÿ˜‰

But the good news is that even if hordes of us RVers descend upon Northern Nevada (not likely!), there is an awful lot of room out there -- I'm guessing we will be pretty spread out.

So the bad news is that the wilderness areas of Northern Nevada are hard to get to. The good news is that they are surprisingly beautiful. We traveled to Great Basin National Park a couple of years ago and were startled by how much of that whole part of Nevada is made up of very high mountain ranges. If the only part of Nevada you've seen is Las Vegas, you are missing some great stuff.
2012 Fun Finder X-139 "Boondock Style" (axle-flipped and extra insulation)
2013 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road (semi-beefy tires and components)
Our trips -- pix and text
About our trailer
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single list."