cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

NJ to Nashville

Officerswife
Explorer
Explorer
Best route and need suggestions for an overnight stay in RV.
7 REPLIES 7

ken56
Explorer
Explorer
You will be happy with the KOA, good park. We have stayed at Yogi Bears Jellystone just down the road and in spite of being close the Briley parkway the noise is not an issue. If you like history go visit the Hermitage, Andrew Jackson's home and grave site. A good museum is attached and I found it to be very interesting. Have fun.

If you are inclined to stop for some provisions on your way down 81, when you get to Bulls Gap TN and the exit to route 11E there is Yoder's Country Market within 2 mile to the west. Great Amish market and deli, great deli sandwiches made to order and fresh baked goods and deserts, meats, cheeses and a whole bunch of other stuff. Worth a stop IMO. No worries on parking as it has a huge parking lot semi trucks use all the time.

Officerswife
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the suggestions!! Pa Turnpike sounds good to bypass the Baltimore and DC traffic. Iโ€™ll download the apps to. Looking forward to exploring Nashville. Staying at the KOA Nashville.

ken56
Explorer
Explorer
Your biggest challenge is getting around Baltimore and over to I-81. 81 is a straight shot to I-40 and that goes straight into Nashville. The drive is hilly, not steep grade mountain driving. Relax and enjoy the drive.

Download the RVParky app. It gives you real time gps location of where you are on the road and shows RV parks near by along with Walmart stores, Pilot/Flying J gas stations, Craker Barrel restaurants. These places may let you stay over night in their parking lot, always ask first though. I assume you have a reservation at a park for Nashville.

jerryjay11
Explorer
Explorer
Depending how far south you are you could take 95 around Baltimore and DC outer loops to 66 then 81 to I40.

Or pick up PA I78 to 81. Though you are driving 81 between the mountains you still have hills. I pick up 81 from 66 and have driven I40 for many years now and it's good route.

Lots of truckers at times. Just give them room. All fuel and rest stops are off highway and mostly out of site of the highway exit. There are a few that are not right off the exit so Googling stops before your trip would be helpful.

That allstays app is very handy app to have while traveling.

jplante4
Explorer
Explorer
From south Jersey it would make sense to pick up the Penn Tpke to I-81 in Harrisburg.

freecampstes.net lists overnight stops. Also, the allstays app for phones/tablets will show you everything; Walmarts, fuel stops, campgrounds, Cabelas, Cracker Barrels, etc.

I-81 mostly follows valleys. The highest terrain is south of Roanoke.
Jerry & Jeanne
1996 Safari Sahara 3530 - 'White Tiger'
CAT 3126/Allison 6 speed/Magnum Chassis
2014 Equinox AWD / Blue Ox

Officerswife
Explorer
Explorer
South Jersey, how is the drive? Mostly Highway I assume, many mountains? Where is a good place to stop to sleep for a few hours in the RV?

ACZL
Explorer
Explorer
I78(?) west to 81 south to I40 west. But guess too it depends on where your starting point is in Jersey.
2017 F350 DRW XLT, CC, 4x4, 6.7
2018 Big Country 3560 SS
"The best part of RVing and Snowmobiling is spending time with family and friends"
"Catin' in the Winter"