cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Help with keeping Refrigerator running

SharynB
Explorer
Explorer
I will be traveling from TX. to CA. in my Pleasureway motorhome. It will take 3.5 days, as I am traveling with senior pets. One of whom is on insulin and it has to be refrigerated. My question is how do I set my Dometic refrigerator to keep going all night when I am in the motel (not camping this trip). Does the DC battery have to be left on all night to keep it going, as I will not be hooked up to electricity? I can use my propane, but will the tank last that many days? Can I drive with the propane turned on, or just turn it on a night after I have stopped for the day? Does the DC have to be turned on if I am using propane?
Thanks for any advice!
20 REPLIES 20

jjson775
Explorer
Explorer
If you run the refrigerator on DC while you are traveling, the safest option (especially when pumping gasoline), make sure to switch it back to gas at night. Otherwise you will quickly discharge the house battery. If everything is in good working order, the house battery, the refrigerator, and you have a full tank of propane, you won't have a problem. Done it myself many times. Good luck on your trip.

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
โ€œIt will take 3.5 days, as I am traveling with senior pets. One of whom is on insulin and it has to be refrigerated.โ€œ

Being senior pets, they may wish to stop and sightsee more than junior pets. Or 3.75 days IMO.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
With an โ€œairheadโ€ battery, itโ€™s doable! Let me know if you want their website.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

GordonThree
Explorer
Explorer
For proponents of turning off the propane fridge while fueling, how far out from the station do you turn off?

My point, how do you know there isn't a fuel spill already present when you pull up at the pump. What about the other guy dispensing fuel on the other side of the pump?
2013 KZ Sportsmen Classic 200, 20 ft TT
2020 RAM 1500, 5.7 4x4, 8 speed

AsheGuy
Explorer
Explorer
PSW wrote:
SharynB, one note of caution. When going down the road running the refrig with the propane, you need to turn to refrig completely off just before you fill up with gasoline. Just a standard procedure for safety. Just pull into the gas station parking lot, turn it off and then pull to the pumps to fill. Then, reverse the procedure when you are ready to leave.

I am sure everyone does that but it can be easy to forget on a long trip.
The risk involved with refrigerator running on gas at a fuel stop probably differs for gas vs diesel so that is probably why I am still alive. We have 140K+ miles on our Sprinter diesel LTV and always have our refrigerator on gas when on the road because gas (for our refrigerator) is much more effective than DC mode. And we have never turned off the refrigerator when refueling.

I know a sample of one (and with diesel) is irrelevant but your statement that this is just a "standard procedure for safety" is a little overstated. In all our travels and association with others doing the same in Class Bs, I have never heard of this as a standard procedure, nor heard of any gas station being blown up due to this infraction.

Now, when we get our propane tank refilled the propane valve is turned off while refilling. Propane is a different beast entirely.

Fire away with comments. No pun intended.
David & Margaret - 2005 LTV 210B 3S
- Our Blog -

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
SharynB wrote:
If I do this will I still have to turn off refrigerator when I gas up?
I've never heard anyone claim the DC heating element is going to blow up a gas station.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

SharynB
Explorer
Explorer
My Dometic is one year old and is a 3-way. So, I believe I can turn off the propane in the morning, to let it run on D/C while driving all day, and turn propane on when I stop for the night. If I do this will I still have to turn off refrigerator when I gas up?

TinyoneRV
Explorer
Explorer
What is the make and model of your refrigerator? Older Dometic models did not require electrical power to run on propane. Newer models require power to run the controls. You might look up your model on the manufacturers web site.

PSW
Explorer
Explorer
SharynB, one note of caution. When going down the road running the refrig with the propane, you need to turn to refrig completely off just before you fill up with gasoline. Just a standard procedure for safety. Just pull into the gas station parking lot, turn it off and then pull to the pumps to fill. Then, reverse the procedure when you are ready to leave.

I am sure everyone does that but it can be easy to forget on a long trip.
PSW
2013 Phoenix Cruiser 2350
2014 Jeep Cherokee behind it
and a 2007 Roadtrek 210P for touring

SharynB
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you all for your help! Solved my doubts!!!:)

Tiger4x4RV
Nomad
Nomad
Don't overlook the option of just using the refrigerator as an icebox. Buy ice or get a bunch of refreezable blue ice blocks and refreeze half of them in the hotel refrigerator while the other half keep your RV refrigerator cold overnight. No more worries about propane or batteries or keeping the unit level.
2006 Tiger CX 4x4, 8.1 L gas V-8, Allison 6-speed

GordonThree
Explorer
Explorer
gbopp wrote:
GordonThree wrote:
One of the pets needs to be refrigerated?

Penguin? ๐Ÿ™‚

Very cool! ๐Ÿ˜‰
2013 KZ Sportsmen Classic 200, 20 ft TT
2020 RAM 1500, 5.7 4x4, 8 speed

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
GordonThree wrote:
One of the pets needs to be refrigerated?

Penguin? ๐Ÿ™‚