cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Went to the car show...Ram Power wagon

cyberiankhatru
Explorer
Explorer
Went to the car show for fun today. Saw a 2018 2500 Ram Power Wagon 6.4L Hemi crew cab. Payload capacity was only 1047 pounds. Yes...I’m sure. What’s that truck bed for? Better weigh those groceries before you load them up. Power? I don’t think so.

My 2007 Exped is nearly 1600 pounds.
At least the Ford Super-Dooooody was over 2000 and was just as loaded up with options. A 2500 Denali was over 1900.
I’m not raggin’ on Ram cause I like them but dang...a trucks number one job is to haul things.
59 REPLIES 59

dshelley
Explorer
Explorer
Cummins12V98 wrote:
"even Honda, make trucks with all sorts of capabilities"

Seriously??? You mean a car with a box on the back?

Should have said. "even Honda, albeit limited",,,,
2014 Ram 1500 Crew Cab, 5'7"box. 395 HP 5.7 Hemi, 3.92 gear, 8 speed auto. 26 foot Heartland North Trail Caliber travel trailer.

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
"even Honda, make trucks with all sorts of capabilities"

Seriously??? You mean a car with a box on the back?
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

spoon059
Explorer II
Explorer II
mich800 wrote:
I will say the OP probably was not intending on trolling but was inquiring with a little passive aggressive dig thrown in.

Nah, he was trolling...
2015 Ram CTD
2015 Jayco 29QBS

dshelley
Explorer
Explorer
It's all in fun. Ford, Chevy/GMC, Ram, Nissan, Toyota, even Honda, make trucks with all sorts of capabilities. A responsible person (that's one who earns the money used for the purchase) decides which one best fits his or her needs/desires and buys it. If my choice don't work for you or your choice don't work for me, we can indeed point fingers and poke fun. If one becomes offended, go somewhere else. In the meantime we'll get a good laugh and may even learn something.
2014 Ram 1500 Crew Cab, 5'7"box. 395 HP 5.7 Hemi, 3.92 gear, 8 speed auto. 26 foot Heartland North Trail Caliber travel trailer.

mich800
Explorer
Explorer
Bird Freak wrote:
This is a funny thread to me. A bunch of guys here that love to bash each others truck brands has gone on for 6 pages in a tow truck forum about a truck that was never intended to tow anything. To me the Power wagon is about as useless as a Raptor for everyday driving.
Yall carry on and have fun.

Definitely some ruffled feathers when some feel their brand is not #1. I will say the OP probably was not intending on trolling but was inquiring with a little passive aggressive dig thrown in.

Sometimes we forgot that not everyone is a "car guy". They may like them but not really up to date on the various technologies and idiosyncrasies in the industry. For some, vehicles are simply transportation. And when they ask questions it can come off as condescending to those that are passionate and pride themselves on knowing everything car related. Not everyone holds that same passion.

Bird_Freak
Explorer II
Explorer II
This is a funny thread to me. A bunch of guys here that love to bash each others truck brands has gone on for 6 pages in a tow truck forum about a truck that was never intended to tow anything. To me the Power wagon is about as useless as a Raptor for everyday driving.
Yall carry on and have fun.
Eddie
03 Fleetwood Pride, 36-5L
04 Ford F-250 Superduty
15K Pullrite Superglide
Old coach 04 Pace Arrow 37C with brakes sometimes.
Owner- The Toy Shop-
Auto Restoration and Customs 32 years. Retired by a stroke!
We love 56 T-Birds

DaveF-250SD
Explorer
Explorer
The Power Wagon is on the 2500 platform for it's extra strength. It has a solid front axle and full floating rear axle and brakes that are exponentially stronger than 1/2 ton running gear can ever dream of being, giving the Power Wagon extreme durability off road. Being softly sprung for good suspension articulation, it naturally has less payload and towing capacity than a standard Ram 2500 4x4.
2004 F-250 XL Super Cab short bed 4x4 V-10/4R100
1977 Chevrolet Scottsdale C-20 Trailering Special 454/TH400

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
@ groover. Perty sure those capacities are plastered all over. That’s what everyone argues about on here dually.
Maybe the power wagon should be a 2100 instead of a 2500. You know, to diffenrentiate it from the “real” 2500s! Lol
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Perrysburg_Dodg
Explorer
Explorer
LOL you guys never change do you? So let me get this straight, GM/Chevy's never rust? That's one of the funnest things I have ever seen on here! He!! they have service bulletins out for undercarriage rust issues! Along with cab corners and rocker panels! Ford is no stranger to rust either, again cab corners, rockers and bottoms of the doors, so try again boys.

BTW there was not one speck of rust on my 2004 2500 with over 150K when I sold it in 2014. Take care of your truck/vehicle, add touch up paint as needed, wash it once a week and clean the bottoms of your doors at least twice a year (I do mine once a month) and you will never have any rust.

As for the Power Wagon it is the most capable off road truck out there and that is coming from the four wheel drive off road experts not me. I did have to pull a FX4 Ford F150 out of a parking lot where he was stuck a week after I got my 2015. Was the funnest thing to see. In all fairness the clown driving it was just plan stupid but it still made my day!
2015 Ram 1500 Laramie Crew Cab SWB 4X4 Ecodiesel GDE Tune.

LMMNOCATS_EFI
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 15 slt same thing as the denali minus a thing or two and the payload is 36xx and in the SRW configurations the ram seems to have the lightest payload of the three so not sure what spoon is talking about

Groover
Explorer II
Explorer II
All of this discussion does leave me wondering about the value of the 1500 and 2500 classifications. I understand that this truck is made with probably 98 of the parts in common with trucks that can haul large weights and tow big trailers and I understand that it is a great rock crawler. But, it is no longer a high capacity truck and probably needs its own category. The same could be said for the Raptor. Perhaps the Powerwagon is more durable crawling rocks than many other trucks would be but that really isn't the point of the 2500 classification is it? I agree that anyone making public posts should understand what they are talking about before making the post as well. We should push the manufacturers to make the actual payload and towing capacity of each individual truck more clear, especially since their dealers don't really seem to understand any of that either. Since some of the determining factors are hard to determine after the window sticker is removed these capability numbers should be put on the sticker on the door. At the very least it should have curb weight, GVWR and GCWR.

Camper_G
Explorer
Explorer
LOL you guys crack me up. all 3 of the big 3 build good stuff. it's all personal opinion. I traded a 2015 Silverado 1500 on my ram and couldn't be happier. don't miss the chevy at all, but it wasn't a bad trick.

op, you can't make comments in an opening post then get upset when you catch flack for it. don't get offended, it's all in good fun.
2017 Dodge Ram 2500 HD, 4x4, CCSB, 6.4L HEMI, Snow Chief, tow package.,1989 Skyline Layton model 75-2251.

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
lawrosa wrote:
Yeah don't sweat it..

Ram .. Trans problems, rust city...

Ford .. Spark plugs fly out, cam phaser issues etc

Chevy..... 🙂
Square fender wells.

Ductape
Explorer
Explorer
Truth is I like the look of that Chevy. But IFS; meh.
49 States, 6 Provinces, 2 Territories...