cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Walmart....."NO......"

downtheroad
Explorer
Explorer
Always have seen a bunch of rigs parked (camping) at our local Walmart.

Yesterday there was a crew putting up signs on all the light poles. "NO OVERNIGHT PARKING."
Just thought it was interesting. Seems to be a trend everywhere.
"If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane."

Arctic Fox 25Y
GMC Duramax
Blue Ox SwayPro
105 REPLIES 105

jplante4
Explorer
Explorer
I guess everyone has had their say.

CLOSED
Jerry & Jeanne
1996 Safari Sahara 3530 - 'White Tiger'
CAT 3126/Allison 6 speed/Magnum Chassis
2014 Equinox AWD / Blue Ox

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
drsteve wrote:
Urban legends are so entertaining...

What urban legend are you referring to?

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
Cell phones causing distracted driving is really a fact, supported by evidence. The "facts" about the homeless are the kind of "facts" touted on conservative websites and talk radio, IOW not facts at all. Using the term "bleeding hearts" was pretty much a dead giveaway.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

JaxDad
Explorer III
Explorer III
fj12ryder wrote:
Ralph Cramden wrote:

Racism and vitriol LOL........
Reality is not racism.........
Your bleeding heart attitude is exactly why you have older RVs parked in vacant lots, wide spots in roads, and parking lots in the area where you live. Do people fall on hard times? Sure they do. But a higher percentage of those people in those RVs choose their own path. Living in a rundown RV alongside a road does not qualify as a race, and criticism of a generational demographic does not qualify as racism.

But I'll take your advice, since you have apparently self appointed yourself as moderator on these boards.
And you know these "facts" exactly how? Polls, personal examination of the people in those older RV's? Just interested in how you know these things? Or perhaps just stereotypical speculation?

They're just FACTS, you know, like all people talking on a phone while driving are distracted and way more likely to have an accident...... Facts.

drsteve
Explorer
Explorer
Urban legends are so entertaining...
2006 Silverado 1500HD Crew Cab 2WD 6.0L 3.73 8600 GVWR
2018 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 223RBS
1991 Palomino Filly PUP

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
We had a Cousin' Eddie motorhome parked in various spots in our rural community. The RV contained Husband, wife several kids and son-in-law. Local churches took up collections to aid them. After a friend of mine delivered donations, he was able to report the real facts. Turned out that there were many job offers and the government handouts were more than most families in the area earned. The donations stopped.

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
Ralph Cramden wrote:

Your bleeding heart attitude is exactly why you have older RVs parked in vacant lots, wide spots in roads, and parking lots in the area where you live. Do people fall on hard times? Sure they do. But a higher percentage of those people in those RVs choose their own path. Living in a rundown RV alongside a road does not qualify as a race, and criticism of a generational demographic does not qualify as racism.

But I'll take your advice, since you have apparently self appointed yourself as moderator on these boards.
And you know these "facts" exactly how? Polls, personal examination of the people in those older RV's? Just interested in how you know these things? Or perhaps just stereotypical speculation?
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

Ralph_Cramden
Explorer II
Explorer II
Roy&Lynne wrote:
Ralph Cramden wrote:
drsteve wrote:
Roy&Lynne wrote:
We all know that as the cost of housing goes up, more and more folks are looking to living in RVs, not for camping and travel but just to have a roof over their heads. In my area, older RVs are seen parked in vacant lots, wide spots in roads, or parking lots. They might be there a day or two, or until someone complains and the police ask them to move on. More and more cities are now passing laws making this practice unlawful. More and more States are now allowing overnight parking at rest stops and we are going to find it more and more difficult to find places for overnight camping, especially in urban areas.

The US has become a low wage nation. Unless that changes, expect more poverty.

Have to call BS on that statement. What it has become is a nation of lazy people who believe everything should be handed to them and they should graduate high school, attend college on someone else's dime, then graduate and command $150K the first day of employment for playing around all day on Facebook and Twitter. I have been in the Industrial, Heavy, and Commercial construction industry for close to 35 years and what I have seen in the last 10, with the coming of age of millenials into the management end of things, is enough to make me want to puke. I have yet to see a smartphone or laptop put a building together, and when one of these snot noses gets in a position with some financial control, say a Project Manager, you had better deal with them by dotting I's and crossing T's because they tend to lie often. It's all about them. Sadly, the days of the jobsite handshake when it comes to changes and financial dealings are long over. Even if they say "please do it because we need it today, and I'll issue a change order as soon as I can" in open forum like a meeting with 20 people in attendence, you're probably going to get a good screwing for your effort later when selective memory loss sets in.

Get below the management level and try and find trade workers that are qualified, show up on time and consistently, and actually work. Good luck. Were not talking minimum wage jobs here either.

I have a new found respect for my little buddies from the deep deep South whose presence I resisted for years. At least they work, and work their asses off to boot.

There are tons of sites on the internet where racism and vitriol can be appreciated, but that isn't here. Here we need to refrain from pointing fingers and blaming others and discuss what interests us all, and that is RV travel.

Too many geezers, self appointed moderators, experts, and disappearing posts for me. Enjoy. How many times can the same thing be rehashed over and over?

Roy_Lynne
Explorer
Explorer
Ralph Cramden wrote:
drsteve wrote:
Roy&Lynne wrote:
We all know that as the cost of housing goes up, more and more folks are looking to living in RVs, not for camping and travel but just to have a roof over their heads. In my area, older RVs are seen parked in vacant lots, wide spots in roads, or parking lots. They might be there a day or two, or until someone complains and the police ask them to move on. More and more cities are now passing laws making this practice unlawful. More and more States are now allowing overnight parking at rest stops and we are going to find it more and more difficult to find places for overnight camping, especially in urban areas.

Have to call BS on that statement. What it has become is a nation of lazy people who believe everything should be handed to them and they should graduate high school, attend college on someone else's dime, then graduate and command $150K the first day of employment for playing around all day on Facebook and Twitter. I have been in the Industrial, Heavy, and Commercial construction industry for close to 35 years and what I have seen in the last 10, with the coming of age of millenials into the management end of things, is enough to make me want to puke. I have yet to see a smartphone or laptop put a building together, and when one of these snot noses gets in a position with some financial control, say a Project Manager, you had better deal with them by dotting I's and crossing T's because they tend to lie often. It's all about them. Sadly, the days of the jobsite handshake when it comes to changes and financial dealings are long over. Even if they say "please do it because we need it today, and I'll issue a change order as soon as I can" in open forum like a meeting with 20 people in attendence, you're probably going to get a good screwing for your effort later when selective memory loss sets in.

Get below the management level and try and find trade workers that are qualified, show up on time and consistently, and actually work. Good luck. Were not talking minimum wage jobs here either.

I have a new found respect for my little buddies from the deep deep South whose presence I resisted for years. At least they work, and work their asses off to boot.

There are tons of sites on the internet where racism and vitriol can be appreciated, but that isn't here. Here we need to refrain from pointing fingers and blaming others and discuss what interests us all, and that is RV travel.

RAS43
Explorer III
Explorer III
JaxDad wrote:
Our family farm brings in quite a few seasonal migrant workers form Central America.

Others who do the same and me are constantly hearing similar disparaging comments to the effect that weโ€™re โ€œgiving away jobs to foreignersโ€ even though we canโ€™t get permission to bring anyone in until we post the job openings with the government unemployment office for 3 months and still need workers.

We have never gotten a single job applicant for those jobs.

When I hear those comments my reply is always the same, โ€œNo problem. Be there at 5am with your work boots. Donโ€™t worry about lunch though, we provide it for free.โ€

Not one of them has EVER showed up.

This is when we need the thumbs up sign!!!

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
Came across a WM yesterday. NO TRUCKS signs everywhere. Designated RV area. Parking bays even. No RV parking anywhere else. Problem was EVERY single RV spot was occupied by a truck.
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

JaxDad
Explorer III
Explorer III
Our family farm brings in quite a few seasonal migrant workers form Central America.

Others who do the same and me are constantly hearing similar disparaging comments to the effect that weโ€™re โ€œgiving away jobs to foreignersโ€ even though we canโ€™t get permission to bring anyone in until we post the job openings with the government unemployment office for 3 months and still need workers.

We have never gotten a single job applicant for those jobs.

When I hear those comments my reply is always the same, โ€œNo problem. Be there at 5am with your work boots. Donโ€™t worry about lunch though, we provide it for free.โ€

Not one of them has EVER showed up.

cpaulsen
Explorer
Explorer
OFDPOS wrote:
seaeagle2 wrote:
Here is Seattle, there are semi industrial parts of town where homeless people park derelict RV's, in several areas they've put 2am to 5am no parking zones to try to eliminate "stealth or not so stealth camping". They tried having areas where homeless could park their RV's, there were some fires, and some issues with drug use and they ran the numbers and decided that for what they could park 20 rvs they could provide shelter for quite few more so they dropped the program.

Was just up by Seattle visiting our son and fiancee both are in law enforcement.
Both said the state of Washington considers what a person is living in is their home/castle.

Meaning they can pretty much park their MH/tent and not be bothered by the law.

I can't tell you where we were ?
But we were driving down some nice streets with million dollar plus homes with the Seattle city view across the water. And there were MH's , travel trailers , even some on blocks , parked right out front of them and they said they have been there for months...

We saw this everywhere we went, they drove us around where we saw the Space Needle from the North, South, East and West and it was tent city, RV's parked everywhere and you could tell they had been there for a very long time.

As for Wally world parking.. Yep its getting worse and worse..

In the past going across country we would try to either Wally world , truck stop, or etc first two nights. Then on the third night hit up a CG , dump , flush, refill FW tank.
Then on the next third night pull off early, hit up a Wally world or ? replenish food . Head into a CG set up , and do laundry.

That worked out pretty good, once in a great while it would bite us and we would have to travel a few more miles before finding a place to catch a few hours of shut-eye.

Like a few posted earlier, there are alot of times you pull off after 7PM and the CG office doors are locked up, shower doors are locked, laundry house doors are locked. With just the night drop box to pay.
Every time I've walked up in the morning to the office and explained what took place and they agreed to only charge so much.
Only time it didn't happen was at a chain RV park.

We don't stop at them anymore.

The big reason a lot of campground showers and bathrooms are locked at night is because so many people sleep in the bathrooms and showers and leave all their used needles in the plus all kinds of trash.
cpaulsen

Ralph_Cramden
Explorer II
Explorer II
drsteve wrote:
Roy&Lynne wrote:

Too many geezers, self appointed moderators, experts, and disappearing posts for me. Enjoy. How many times can the same thing be rehashed over and over?