cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

driving thru canada

ken_maupin
Explorer
Explorer
Have 35ft class a gas engine v10. leaving washington st. going to alaska,would like to avoid steep inclines, if possible. all help is appreciated.
7 REPLIES 7

Ava
Explorer
Explorer
There are lots of mountains in BC. The number 1 highway and especially number 5 (Coquihalla ) have long hills to climb in the lower half of BC.

Artum_Snowbird
Explorer
Explorer
My only advice would be to not travel past Whistler and climb the hill up from Pemberton. It is very steep, twisty, and narrow. It would help to know your entry point into BC. It would also be good to know your plans and budget. We just came home from California last week, and went to the coast at Arcata. We had a lovely trip up through Oregon, and the west coast of Washington, then took the Coho ferry to Victoria and came home. If you have time and money, take the ferry to Vancouver Island, then take the ferry from Port Hardy to Prince Rupert and drive to Alaska from there. Spend a few days on Vancouver Island either seeing BC's capital city and it's sights, or drive to the wild west coast and enjoy Tofino and Long Beach.

If that doesn't suit you, take the Fraser Canyon route and drive north to Fort St John and beyond. Yet again, go to the Okanagan and cross into Canada there and drive up back Kamloops and Blue River.

None of the highways are anywhere near as steep as the route past Whistler.
Mike
2012 Winnebago Impulse Silver 26QP
2005 16.6 Double Eagle
2018 Jeep Wrangler JK
previously Snowbird Campers,
Triple E Motorhome and Fifth Wheel

nevadanick
Explorer
Explorer
I dont remember any steep climbs on our trip to Ak.

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
I asked moderator on other forum to move previous post here and delete this one.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
I believe google maps can display elevations of chosen routes.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

donn0128
Explorer
Explorer
Please read forum rules concerning duplicate posts

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
And miss all those magnificent views? Why? Better to learn grade driving and enjoy.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad