cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Budget diesel truck mods: Ford Powerstroke edition

ShinerBock
Explorer
Explorer
Got a Ford Powerstroke and want to add power, but don't know where to start? Drivingline has put together comprehensive list budget parts mods that will get you to the power levels you desire. As with adding power to any engine, how much power depends on how much you want to spend and supporting mods are key to making dependable power. I will post the Cummins and Duramax editions as soon as their series is posted and complete. Enjoy!

BUDGET DIESEL MODS: 7.3L POWER STROKE

BUDGET DIESEL MODS: 6.0L POWER STROKE

BUDGET DIESEL MODS: 6.4L POWER STROKE

BUDGET DIESEL MODS: 6.7L POWER STROKE

Edit: If you are concerned about warranty then hit the back button and forget you ever saw this.
2014 Ram 2500 6.7L CTD
2016 BMW 2.0L diesel (work and back car)
2023 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 3.0L Ecodiesel

Highland Ridge Silverstar 378RBS
41 REPLIES 41

burningman
Explorer
Explorer
So what if you don't want to buy a '15, but you want to have more power than a '15 does?
Then you learn how to build that, and that's what this thread was supposed to be about. And it can be done.

The guys who do this don't care about warranties. We don't go to the dealer and wait weeks or pay crazy amounts for something as simple as slapping in a new lift pump. We just bolt it in and know it was done right. Amazon can get you one in a day, so can places like Genosgarage.com.

About the gears, I have 4.10s and a Gear Vendors overdrive that effectively makes them 3.20 when I hit the switch. Under a heavy load, 4.10 is a lot better even with a lot of power.
But I'd say if you have 3.73, that might be a pretty happy medium... do you pull hills with enough weight that your truck feels like it wants lower gears?
2017 Northern Lite 10-2 EX CD SE
99 Ram 4x4 Dually Cummins
A whole lot more fuel, a whole lot more boost.
4.10 gears, Gear Vendors overdrive, exhaust brake
Built auto, triple disc, billet shafts.
Kelderman Air Ride, Helwig sway bar.

Super_Dave
Explorer
Explorer
blofgren wrote:
Super_Dave wrote:
I have a 2006 Dodge Dually, 48RE tranny and 3:73 gears. I'm entertaining the idea of going to 4:10 gears. Anyone with experience able and willing to comment? I just bought a 2018 Big Country 5th wheel and know it will be a heavy load. The truck is used almost exclusively for towing.

I'd try it out first; the Cummins has a lot of low end torque. My truck has 3.73 gears as well and it pulls our 16k high profile fiver with ease.

Do you have the 6 speed transmission? I would think that might work with the 3:73 like my 4 speed with 4:10’s.
Truck: 2006 Dodge 3500 Dually
Rig: 2018 Big Country 3155 RLK
Boat: 21' North River Seahawk

Housted
Explorer III
Explorer III
Me Again wrote:

2015, stick my hand in the door handle to unlock, push the start button and enjoy the luxury. Some flashes a year ago improved the Aisin while towing and fixed the gear hunting.

Case Closed! Love it the way it is! Have Max Care 8yr/120K Warranty.

X2 Love my 15 just as it came!!

Housted
2019 Forrest River Forrester 3051S 2014 Honda CRV toad.
1000 W Solar, converted to 50 amp
400 Amps of LiFePO4,3000 Watt Inverter, Refer converted with JC refrigeration unit, Sofa replaced with 2 swivel chairs, over cab bed converted to TV mount and storage

blofgren
Explorer
Explorer
Super_Dave wrote:
I have a 2006 Dodge Dually, 48RE tranny and 3:73 gears. I'm entertaining the idea of going to 4:10 gears. Anyone with experience able and willing to comment? I just bought a 2018 Big Country 5th wheel and know it will be a heavy load. The truck is used almost exclusively for towing.

I'd try it out first; the Cummins has a lot of low end torque. My truck has 3.73 gears as well and it pulls our 16k high profile fiver with ease.
2013 Ram 3500 Megacab DRW Laramie 4x4, 6.7L Cummins, G56, 3.73, Maximum Steel, black lthr, B&W RVK3670 hitch, Retrax, Linex, and a bunch of options incl. cargo camera
2008 Corsair Excella Platinum 34.5 CKTS fifth wheel with winter package & disc brakes

Super_Dave
Explorer
Explorer
Truck: 2006 Dodge 3500 Dually
Rig: 2018 Big Country 3155 RLK
Boat: 21' North River Seahawk

path1
Explorer
Explorer
thomas201 wrote:
Warranty??? More important, what is your experience at finding a good shop to fix any problems with the mods when you are a 1,000 miles from home? Are shops comfortable working on deleted and modded trucks? Easy to find? Common knowledge among mechanics? We are a RV forum, so this is a great consideration for travelers. If I cannot get it fixed, forget it.

My experience is it depends on factors of where you go. I had a very common break down (lift pump) and Yuma dealer told me 2 week waiting list even to get in. Neighbor 3 days later had check light on come on. Went to dealer and came home 700 lighter and 1 new exhaust sensor
2003 Majestic 23P... Northwest travel machine
2013 Arctic Fox 25W... Wife "doll house" for longer snowbird trips
2001 "The Mighty Dodge"... tow vehicle for "doll house"

ShinerBock
Explorer
Explorer
Me Again wrote:
ShinerBock wrote:
DirtyOil wrote:
I too am interested in seeing what's available for RAM... seeing that you are now advocating for mods. Some of the Ford mods you listed, with the "straight pipe" mod, have "downpipe back" and "turbo back", aren't those "deleting" particulate filters etc...? Black smoke... more NOx...

I was never against mods or deleting. I was just against people making false claims like saying their deleted truck is clean just because it does not spew black smoke after deleting. That is false since you cannot see the NOx and fine PM coming of the tailpipe. If you delete you will pollute more than stock, there is no way around that.

If you live in an area where PM and Nox is a major issue due to geographical and hot weather exacerbating the smog issue like southern California then it is probably not a good idea to delete. However of you live in an area to where that NOx has a chance to dissipate into the stratosphere(where NOx is a good thing) then it might not be that big of an issue.

Is it not illegal to remove a muffle on a vehicle with over 10K GVWR?

Not a muffler since it is only a sound device and not an emissions device unless you have noise laws where you live. It is illegal to drive a vehicle on the road with removed or altered emissions devices such as catalysts, DPF, and/or EGR's. Some places crack down on them really hard while other places don't as with many other things that are also illegal on the road like driving any speed over the speed limit, not using turn signals when changing lanes, loading your vehicle over its registered GVWR, installing aftermarket HID or LED lights in a halogen lens, driving in the left lane when not passing or turning right, and so on.
2014 Ram 2500 6.7L CTD

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
ShinerBock wrote:
DirtyOil wrote:
I too am interested in seeing what's available for RAM... seeing that you are now advocating for mods. Some of the Ford mods you listed, with the "straight pipe" mod, have "downpipe back" and "turbo back", aren't those "deleting" particulate filters etc...? Black smoke... more NOx...

I was never against mods or deleting. I was just against people making false claims like saying their deleted truck is clean just because it does not spew black smoke after deleting. That is false since you cannot see the NOx and fine PM coming of the tailpipe. If you delete you will pollute more than stock, there is no way around that.

If you live in an area where PM and Nox is a major issue due to geographical and hot weather exacerbating the smog issue like southern California then it is probably not a good idea to delete. However of you live in an area to where that NOx has a chance to dissipate into the stratosphere(where NOx is a good thing) then it might not be that big of an issue.

Is it not illegal to remove a muffle on a vehicle with over 10K GVWR?
2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021

ShinerBock
Explorer
Explorer
DirtyOil wrote:

2014 Ram 2500 6.7L CTD

ShinerBock
Explorer
Explorer
Cummins12V98 wrote:

Reason I ask people to block me is because by me making a simple comment they get all twisted so it would be easier if THEY blocked me so THEY would not get so upset. I have said many times I will NOT block anyone, I just go to the next post or topic simple as that.

No, you are not just making simple comments. You are purposely going out of your way to be an internet nanny and go off topic to tell people what to do with their trucks even though the OP(me) requested not to. And it is not just one time, it is every time there is a thread about mods. Even in a thread where someone was trying to get help and you lectured him on warranty instead of helping him and we had to turn to PM's because of your derailment to get his problem fixed.

Why do you feel the need to be that rude to have to do that? Do you think others are stupid and cannot think for themselves? Do you think you are some warranty internet superman out to protect peoples warranty even though they don't care? Or is it that you figure that if you don't want to void your warranty or tune your truck then others should not either because that would mean that they have something that you don't?

Cummins12V98 wrote:
Carry on!!!

That is what we are trying to do. So please stay out of mod threads if you are concerned about warranty. There is no reason to discuses mods if you are not going to do them. Just hit the back button like I do when I don't care about the threads topic.
2014 Ram 2500 6.7L CTD

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have owned three RAM/Cummins trucks.
1993, put a Banks waste gated housing on it and greatly woke up the driveability.

2001.5, Tranny(twice) Injectors, turbo, Edge Comp(not tapped), Exhaust, lift pump, gauges on and on.

2015, stick my hand in the door handle to unlock, push the start button and enjoy the luxury. Some flashes a year ago improved the Aisin while towing and fixed the gear hunting.

Wife and I drove in 1450 miles in first 48 hours of ownership with two motel receipts. Noon Monday to Noon Wednesday.

Case Closed! Love it the way it is! Have Max Care 8yr/120K Warranty.
2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Bionic Man wrote:
"Shiner", we certainly don't always see eye-to-eye, but I was interested to see what you were going to post regarding mods and the Cummins.

And to "Cummins", you've requested multiple people to "block you" recently. You do know that feature works both ways, right? If you don't like what "Shiner", me or anyone else says, you can block them just as easily.

Dude I just made a simple comment so the unknowing would understand they are their own warranty station if they choose to do any mods. If a person already knows this so what! Other than that I have no issue with the content! I was planning to delete my 11 HO RAM Dually based on what many were doing at the time but changed my mind after understanding they can detect if you have added and removed a tuner. Also mentioned I modded the HE!! out of my 98 12V for better mileage and performance.

Reason I ask people to block me is because by me making a simple comment they get all twisted so it would be easier if THEY blocked me so THEY would not get so upset. I have said many times I will NOT block anyone, I just go to the next post or topic simple as that.

Is thomas201 going to get jumped for his comment now?

Carry on!!!
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

thomas201
Explorer
Explorer
Warranty??? More important, what is your experience at finding a good shop to fix any problems with the mods when you are a 1,000 miles from home? Are shops comfortable working on deleted and modded trucks? Easy to find? Common knowledge among mechanics? We are a RV forum, so this is a great consideration for travelers. If I cannot get it fixed, forget it.

DirtyOil
Explorer
Explorer
2013 RAM 3500 CTD Crew 4x4 Laramie
2014 Sprinter Copper Canyon 269FWRLS

GUTS GLORY RAM