cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Morgantown WV-west pittsburgh area campground advice needed.

sgfrye
Explorer
Explorer
Wife and i are making a week long trip from our home in north carolina to branches of niagara campground for 3 nights, then back through amish country Pa Lancaster county for 3 nights at country acres campground this coming september. i have reservations booked at both campgrounds. on the first night of the trip i would like to stay 1 night somewhere in the morgantown wv or west pittsburgh area close to interstate 79. that area is about 1/2 way from our home to niagara falls. straight thru would be 12plus hour drive. we are not looking for anything fancy, just clean, safe and a pull thru site would be nice so i can stay hooked up for that one night. any thoughts on campground possibilities would be appreciated as always.
5 REPLIES 5

ChapparalKen
Explorer
Explorer
There is a site that is good for overnights just off exit 155, the Star City exit. It is at Mylan Park, and I believe it is full hookups. Maybe 1 mile from 79. The Cabelas is actually in Wheeling, Wv. Itโ€™s about 30 minutes from i79.
2017 Coachmen Chapparal 392 MBL
2017 F350 DRW CC 6.7

sgfrye
Explorer
Explorer
Ralph Cramden wrote:
There is a KOA just east of Washinton PA about a mile off of 79N, exit 33. It's a typical pack em in KOA but has pull thru sites. 33 is the last exit before 79 ties into 70W for a few miles before splitting back off north at Washington. That's about your only option. Most of the private campgrounds in SW PA, of which there are only a few, or around Morgantown WV, will be packed with the migratory Marcellus gas field and pipeline workers that time of year. There is also a KOA at exit 67 in WV, about 80 miles south of Morgantown. 67 is the first exit you'll come to on 79 after getting on from 19N. Watch the cops in Summersville WV on 19. Do the speed limit.

About an hour north of Pittsburgh you could try the KOA at Grove City, exit 113 or Bear Run at exit 96.

awesome info thanks.

i checked on koa washington this morning. not bad rates for koa pull thru on an interstate im thinking thats our best option.

Ralph_Cramden
Explorer II
Explorer II
There is a KOA just east of Washinton PA about a mile off of 79N, exit 33. It's a typical pack em in KOA but has pull thru sites. 33 is the last exit before 79 ties into 70W for a few miles before splitting back off north at Washington. That's about your only option. Most of the private campgrounds in SW PA, of which there are only a few, or around Morgantown WV, will be packed with the migratory Marcellus gas field and pipeline workers that time of year. There is also a KOA at exit 67 in WV, about 80 miles south of Morgantown. 67 is the first exit you'll come to on 79 after getting on from 19N. Watch the cops in Summersville WV on 19. Do the speed limit.

About an hour north of Pittsburgh you could try the KOA at Grove City, exit 113 or Bear Run at exit 96.
Too many geezers, self appointed moderators, experts, and disappearing posts for me. Enjoy. How many times can the same thing be rehashed over and over?

sgfrye
Explorer
Explorer
jim1632 wrote:
There is a Cabela's at Washington PA. I believe they offer RV-friendly services that might fit your requirements.

There may be WalMarts that offer overnights as well.

This is exactly the sort of travel need that is not served by the traditional camping industry. In transit, a quick Express campsite without amenities at $20-30 per night would be a godsend. Ideally, abandoned industrial or retail sites with large parking areas could be re-purposed in many areas.

i agree...a couple of express sites per campground would be nice. i fill the fresh water tank about 1/2 full before leaving home to use our TT restroom at gas stops on longer trips and always keep my deep cycle batteries cfully charged to run my residential fridge. so i can make do for one night no problem. never thought about cabelas i will check on that also. not a fan of wally world

thanks!

jim1632
Explorer
Explorer
There is a Cabela's at Washington PA. I believe they offer RV-friendly services that might fit your requirements.

There may be WalMarts that offer overnights as well.

This is exactly the sort of travel need that is not served by the traditional camping industry. In transit, a quick Express campsite without amenities at $20-30 per night would be a godsend. Ideally, abandoned industrial or retail sites with large parking areas could be re-purposed in many areas.