Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tonneau Cover Retractable that will work with 5W Hitch

tommygun714
Explorer
Explorer
Hi,

I am looking to get a retractable tonneau cover that will work with my Chevy 3500 Short bed and 5th Wheel Hitch.

I have heard that sometimes there is not enough room for hitch (mine is Curtis Slider) and the area need for the roll up. Anybody using one without problems?

I am not talking about the height of the hitch. Just the room you need for the roller box behind window and hitch.

Thanks

Tom
2018 Keystone Cougar 25RES 1/2 ton - 25th Avers. Addition
'11 Chevy Silverado LTZ Crew Cab 4WD Short Bed
Curt A16 Hitch w/ Slider
50Amp 2 air / RES = Rear Entertainment
26 REPLIES 26

garyp4951
Explorer III
Explorer III
Thanks Barney

BarneyS
Explorer III
Explorer III
garyp4951 wrote:
Is there a certain hard cover brand that folds up against the rear window to access the tool box?

I think all the BacFlip models meet that criteria.
This is the one that I have.
Barney

2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch (Sold)
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicles were 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2002 Ford F250, 7.3 PSD, 1997 Ram 2500 5.9 gas engine

garyp4951
Explorer III
Explorer III
Is there a certain hard cover brand that folds up against the rear window to access the tool box?

aviator41
Explorer
Explorer
We have the B&W Companion in our F350. I recently installed a Pace Edwards and find there is just enough room to clear the hitch.

klr650goldwing
Explorer
Explorer
I have this one: https://bakflip.com/bak-rollbak-tonneau-cover-r15207.html?gclid=Cj0KCQiAw9nUBRCTARIsAG11eidKk7_YyCjeygfx5mlqbFpI3lrsYSxmhlLDeN7y9Qjj9OKv0cDc8mQaAuDkEALw_wcB

I like it very much. There are actually several brands of this type and style and the prices vary. Good luck.
2014 Grand Design Solitude 369RL
2017 F350 6.7 DRW CC LB 4X4
2012 Mercedes E550
2010 Honda Civic
2009 Saab 93 Aero Convertible
2004 Honda Goldwing GL1800
2004 Kawasaki KLR650
1966 Honda 305 Dream

Keithk3628
Explorer
Explorer
I use a Retrax also covering my BW Patriot, more security for my cargo and hitch, after unhitching just pull the Retrax closed and lock. While towing the 5ver its locked in the open position.

Keith

harryjr
Explorer
Explorer
I have a Retrax on my Tundra with a B&W hitch. No problems with the fit. Cover latch will lock the cover in any position, so no problems with it unrolling as another poster mentioned. It can freeze if it gets wet in the winter however. Hasn't been a big problem. A night in the garage or a few wacks seems to free it up.
Harry Jr.
Southeastern CT

snipe
Explorer
Explorer
I have a roll n lock with a draw-tite 16k fifth wheel hitch, I put a small block of wood to set the hitch plate to sit flat, remove the king pin handle and the cover rolls over the hitch. Works for me.
2012 Sabre 31RETS
2017 FORD F250 Lariat Diesel

racer4
Explorer
Explorer
For a tonneau cover with a FW, I wanted:

1. To be able to see the FW hitch from the drivers seat, while hitching up.

2. Minimal added height to the truck's bed rails for maximum clearance from FW upper deck overhang.

3. Able to close the tonneau part way, while towing, to shield some items from the sun.

The soft roll up that I had with a TT would block my sight of the hitch from the drivers seat. And add 1 to 1-1/2" to the bed rail height. And cannot be closed part way.

I have no experience with foldups, so I will pass on commenting, except the added height when folded concerned me.

That led me to retractables like Roll-N-Lock and Pace Edwards JackRabbit.

I got the JackRabbit. It met my criteria and it is compatible with a Transfer Flow 37 Gallon Roll-Top Fuel Tank (in bed auxiliary fuel tank). My wife and I love the extra driving range before the next fuel stop, with a 40' trailer behind.

OP: The JackRabbit diagram shows 11.75" for the roll top canister (front to back dimension).
Chris and Pat
2023 Ram 3500 Limited, Cummins, Aisin, dually, Auto Flex Rear Air Ride Suspension
2022 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS
2024 Winnebago Minnie 2327TB

joe_puma
Explorer
Explorer
I have the Roll-n-lock also. 2500HD. Mor-ryde pin box. I have no issues, but have heard some pin boxes might his side rails.

austinjenna
Explorer
Explorer
I have the Retrax rolling cover and it works with my trailersaver hitch just fine. Not a whole lot of clearance between the top of the hitch and the cover but it doesnt hit it and keeps it protected and out of sight.

2010 F350 CC Lariat 4x4 Short Bed
2011 Crusader 298BDS 5th Wheel
Reese 16K

stickdog
Explorer
Explorer
Another vote for the Roll-n-Lock.
9-11 WE WILL NEVER FORGET!
FULLTIME SINCE 2010
17 DRV MS 36rssb3
17 F350 King Ranch CC DRW 4x4 6.7 4:10 B&W hitch
John
“A good traveler has no fixed plans, and is not intent on arriving.” Lao Tzu

Allworth
Explorer
Explorer
The box for my Pace-Edwards only takes about 10 inches front to rear and half the depth of the bed. That is less than the truck box I had in the front of the bed when I had a short box Ram and it never interfered with anything.

(I have a long bed Chevy now, and the folding covers are just to heavy for this old man.)
Formerly posting as "littleblackdog"
Martha, Allen, & Blackjack
2006 Chevy 3500 D/A LB SRW, RVND 7710
Previously: 2008 Titanium 30E35SA. Currently no trailer due to age & mobility problems. Very sad!
"Real Jeeps have round headlights"

GPG52_
Explorer
Explorer
This is a copy of a Post Reply which I had previously posted in response to another operator inquiry, our previous TV had a short box:
Our previous TV had a flip cover, we loved it except for one thing. The cover sat on top of the side rails, cutting into the TV/5'er clearance. Once folded it added about another 1 1/2 inch to the side rail heights... which we could live with, but, the latch on either side added another 1/2 inch of height. On one occasion I did gouge the 5er on the latch. Not a happy day!

On this TV (long box) we installed a Roll-N-Lock along with the matching Cargo Manager. It's mounting rails sit flush to the TV bed rail. And when rolled up it adds no height to the truck rails. You do lose about 8"x8" square box at the head of the box to accommodate the fully rolled tonneau. The Cargo Manager adjust along the side rails. Once we install the 5th wheel we set the Cargo Manager just in front of the 5th wheel, we set the adjustable tonneau cover to match the Cargo Manager and have in effect set up a semi secure storage area at the front of the box.

PROS: It clears the hitch and Cargo Manager. When closed it does lock the tailgate. In our case we have both a locking tonneau and OEM locking tailgate so storage in the bed is fairly secure.

CONS: The locking mechanism does freeze up, snow build up does hamper your ability to close the cover. Requires a little work to get access in certain winter conditions.

To each his own, but all in all the Roll-N-Lock and Cargo Manager meets our needs and expectation.

Happy trails ....
GPG"
PS: I'd love to post pictures but have not master that art as yet. Still working on my VCR flashing light problem

"
GPG 🙂
2014 Ford F250, 6.2L, 4.30 Ratio, 6 speed
2014 Cougar (by Keystone) 327 RES