cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Moraine Park RMNP to Aspen

EnzoColorado
Explorer II
Explorer II
We will be driving from Moraine Park campground in Rocky Mountain National Park to Difficult Campground near Aspen on Wednesday of last week in June this year. Google maps suggested taking Trail Ridge Road (hwy 34) across the RMNP to Granby, then hwy 40 west to Kremmlin. From Kremmlin, the route follows Trough Road along the Upper Colorado River then turn left on Hwy 131 south to I-70 then west on I-70 and south on hwy 82.

I haven't seen Trail Ridge road since I was a teenager. How doable is that road in towing a TT? I recently towed a 15 ft raft trailer from Kremmlin to Rancho Del Rio on Trough road and remembered it was easy wide smooth dirt road. We'll have some friends following us in a 27 ft Class C rental as well. Any feed back of this route will be highly appreciated, or suggestion on alternate routes.
2017 Starcraft AR-ONE MAXX 20BHLE
2012 Suburban 2500 LT 4WD
17 REPLIES 17

Thom02099
Explorer II
Explorer II
Has a vote been proposed? - Date?

There's been no update on this that I've seen since the first of the year. Opposition to the fee increase is bipartisan with our Congressional Representatives. Both Senators are opposed as well as Rep Polis (D) who represents the district. Towns of Lyons and Estes Park have issued statements officially opposing the fee increases. Many adventure companies have also expressed opposition as it could impact their business. AND the public comment/outcry was YUUUGE!

Everything that I've read that is relevant points to the final decision likely to be made by Interior Secretary Zinke.
2007 GMC Sierra SLE 3500HD Dually
2016 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 243RBS
2007 Keystone Outback 25RSS - R.I.P.

Thom02099
Explorer II
Explorer II
EnzoColorado wrote:
We have the American the Beautiful pass, I assume it'll still get us into RMNP regardless of the new proposal right?

All pre-existing passes will continue to be honoured. I have the Senior Pass and use it all the time and will continue to use it, at the express gate at Beaver Meadows entrance. Swipe, and you're in, usually no waiting in line. Occasionally, the gate will malfunction, and they will have a Ranger attending to just that express line. Takes a look at the card and ID and you're in as well.

Busskipper
Explorer
Explorer
EnzoColorado wrote:
We have the American the Beautiful pass, I assume it'll still get us into RMNP regardless of the new proposal right?

You should be Good - But Thom is the Colorado authority on the Parks and CG's.

I'll defer to him - Your Trip will be Great - if you hike back into the woods and mountains you should not see a crowd, And almost every Hike is Amazing.

Oh the stories we have on those hikes with the Kids, .............

Enjoy your trip,
Busskipper
Maryland/Colorado
Travel Supreme 42DS04
GX470-FMCA - Travel less now - But still love to be on the Road
States traveled in this Coach

EnzoColorado
Explorer II
Explorer II

Busskipper
Explorer
Explorer
Thom02099 wrote:
H E R E - Fort Collins Coloradoan is one of many articles on the subject.

The $70 entrance fee/vehicle is PROPOSED It has not been implemented. Public comment was open to the public up until late December 2017 (the article states November; it was extended due to huge public response). If approved, the $70 fee would be from May through October.

Thanks, Thom for the Clarity.

Has a vote been proposed? - Date?

Found this to help out some families for a year - Details about the Every Kid in a Park Annual 4th Grade Pass

IMHO the Fee might be needed to curb the traffic, BUT we need to allow our kids and Grandkids to be able to see and Enjoy the parks.

What is the mission of the National Park Service?
According to its own mission statement, "The National Park Service preserves unimpaired the natural and cultural resources and values of the National Park System for the enjoyment, education, and inspiration of this and future generations."Oct 4, 2012

Not to start a debate on this subject "Use and Access to the National Parks" Really hard to enjoy if the fees are too HIGH, and you can only enjoy Pictures.

BUT

An increase in fees is just like a lock on the gate. As I'm old and have the Geezer Pass so it Only affects the Grands. NOT RIGHT.

JMHO
Busskipper
Maryland/Colorado
Travel Supreme 42DS04

Thom02099
Explorer II
Explorer II
H E R E - Fort Collins Coloradoan is one of many articles on the subject.

The $70 entrance fee/vehicle is PROPOSED. It has not been implemented. Public comment was open to the public up until late December 2017 (the article states November; it was extended due to huge public response). If approved, the $70 fee would be from May through October.

Busskipper
Explorer
Explorer
$70.00 Not so fast...........Only the Annual Pass is $70.00

Fees 2018 as Published Today.

FEES & PERMIT INFO:
Park Contact Info

Backcountry Camping

Annual Pass

Fishing

Hunting

ROCKY MOUNTAIN NATIONAL PARK FEES & PERMITS

FEE FREE DAYS in 2018 (Free Entrance into the Park):

January 15, April 21, September 22, and November 11 !

Individual Park Entrance Fees

Day Use Pass for Automobiles & Motorcycles: $20 - Valid for one day

Automobiles : $30 - Valid for seven consecutive days, including date of purchase.
Motorcycles : $25 - Valid for seven consecutive days, including date of purchase.

Pedestrians, bicycles: $10 per person for one day; $15 per person valid for seven consecutive days including date of purchase.
Available at all Rocky Mountain National Park entrance stations.

Annual Rocky Mountain National Park Pass: $60
Annual Rocky Mountain National Park/Arapaho National Recreation Area Joint Pass: $70

Or just use the Old Fa%t Pass and it's Free!

Just zoom in on Google Maps - IMHO those are pretty Nice Gradual Hair pin turns.

Map

Not quite as Gradual on Old Fall River Road, but it would be hard to confuse the two. 🙂

Sorry, JMHO,
Busskipper
Maryland/Colorado
Travel Supreme 42DS04

Lauren
Explorer
Explorer
I lived in Estes for 8 years and that was a few years ago before it became an absolute zoo. And around the end of June you could have snow as well.

I have never recommended anyone who has and rv - especially with little mountain driving experience - drive it with an rv. There are 180 degree blind hair pin turns on the west side. And talk about crazy drivers.

And I was talking to a friend from Estes the other day and he said there were going to be all sorts new restrictions on Trail Ridge this year. And that the Park entrance fee is now $70.

Am I going back to visit Estes again. No. We will continue to spend our time down around Buena Vista.
Barbara-DW 55 years
Sadie-"Aussie" Terrier
06 Mobile Suites 32TK3
06 Chev 3500 4x4 Dmax
20 yrs PT RVing - 190 RV parks; some many times

fanrgs
Explorer
Explorer
I have driven, camped, and worked along Trough Road and I agree it is a good gravel road. However, it is a very long gravel road and it would not be my choice when towing my 5th wheel trailer. If you just stay on US 40 for 5.5 miles past Kremmling, you will come to CO 134. This is fully paved highway that goes over Gore Pass to CO 131 at Toponas. It may be a few miles longer than Trough Road, but is faster and will certainly be less wear-and-tear on a rental RV (which are often restricted to paved roads).
"Retirement is the best job I ever had!"
2015 RAM 2500 4x4 crewcab 6.7L CTD; 2016 Rockwood Signature UltraLite 5th wheel

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
I towed my small trailer over Trail Ridge Road with no problem at all. I have been on many roads that were more difficult. We did it early in the morning before there was a lot of tourist traffic. We stayed for a few days on the west side and then moved over to the east side.

However, a trailer longer than about 20 feet could be a problem on the hairpin turns on the west side of the park.
2012 Fun Finder X-139 "Boondock Style" (axle-flipped and extra insulation)
2013 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road (semi-beefy tires and components)
Our trips -- pix and text
About our trailer
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single list."

Busskipper
Explorer
Explorer
EnzoColorado wrote:
Busskipper wrote:

Not one to argue with Thom - as he really does know Colorado - But ....... you are a local also - if you are comfortable in the mountains, go for it. BUT....think about going before 10 in the Morning, the earlier the better to beat the Traffic, just makes it a little easier, and if you are a little slow fewer people will be upset if they are behind you.

Before this forum, I'd drive all through the back Roads of Colorado and Loved it. Then I found out there were all these places I was supposed to be wary of, Sorry but in my Ten's of thousands of Miles in Colorado, the only spot I'd be nervous would be if I were in my Coach driving a couple sections of Independence Pass - that does get Narrow - but it is Restricted, so .......

Let me add a little side trip on the way to Aspen. After you go by Breck and Silverthorne on I-70, look at getting off on exit 195 to RT 91 to Leadville - Nice lunch stop, then Take RT 24 to Red Cliff and Minturn. Will take you right by Camp Hale - Red Cliff has a great Lunch Spot and the Green Bridge is worth the drive by itself. Then on to Minturn and Back on to I-70 - Be sure to slide off before you get to the springs to just stare at the Colorado River - Exit 121 - Never miss this.

You need to make the stop so as to get ready to drive through Glenwood Springs to get on the Highway to Aspen RT 82.

Be sure to catch the Bells..........

Best of Luck,

The furthest I have taken the rig from to Ridgway State Park from Colorado Springs through La Veta and Monarch Pass. It wasn't an issue for me. Our friends are from east coast and have done two RV trips so they have some experience. The crowd worry me more than the road so we'll see during the week when we're camped there then make a decision on route.

Good choice. 🙂
Busskipper
Maryland/Colorado
Travel Supreme 42DS04

EnzoColorado
Explorer II
Explorer II
Busskipper wrote:

Not one to argue with Thom - as he really does know Colorado - But ....... you are a local also - if you are comfortable in the mountains, go for it. BUT....think about going before 10 in the Morning, the earlier the better to beat the Traffic, just makes it a little easier, and if you are a little slow fewer people will be upset if they are behind you.

Before this forum, I'd drive all through the back Roads of Colorado and Loved it. Then I found out there were all these places I was supposed to be wary of, Sorry but in my Ten's of thousands of Miles in Colorado, the only spot I'd be nervous would be if I were in my Coach driving a couple sections of Independence Pass - that does get Narrow - but it is Restricted, so .......

Let me add a little side trip on the way to Aspen. After you go by Breck and Silverthorne on I-70, look at getting off on exit 195 to RT 91 to Leadville - Nice lunch stop, then Take RT 24 to Red Cliff and Minturn. Will take you right by Camp Hale - Red Cliff has a great Lunch Spot and the Green Bridge is worth the drive by itself. Then on to Minturn and Back on to I-70 - Be sure to slide off before you get to the springs to just stare at the Colorado River - Exit 121 - Never miss this.

You need to make the stop so as to get ready to drive through Glenwood Springs to get on the Highway to Aspen RT 82.

Be sure to catch the Bells..........

Best of Luck,

The furthest I have taken the rig from to Ridgway State Park from Colorado Springs through La Veta and Monarch Pass. It wasn't an issue for me. Our friends are from east coast and have done two RV trips so they have some experience. The crowd worry me more than the road so we'll see during the week when we're camped there then make a decision on route.

EnzoColorado
Explorer II
Explorer II
Thom02099 wrote:
OP, do you have a reservation in RMNP at Moraine? All the loops are reservation now. B Loop used to be walk in, but no longer. Got my first trip up there planned in May to Moraine and July to Glacier Basin.

Yes we do have sites reserved for our trip.

Thom02099
Explorer II
Explorer II
OP, do you have a reservation in RMNP at Moraine? All the loops are reservation now. B Loop used to be walk in, but no longer. Got my first trip up there planned in May to Moraine and July to Glacier Basin.