cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Going Over The Grape Vine

derh20
Explorer
Explorer
We will be traveling from AZ to WA and have never attempted the Grape Vine. We have a 2011, 30' B+ with the Ford V10, towing a 3K lb car. For years we have been by-passing the Grape Vine, but that adds miles and time. I have looked at the other comments but are looking for more thoughts.
21 REPLIES 21

derh20
Explorer
Explorer
I might add, going over the mountains in Northern California and the Siskiyou's in Southern Oregon are far more challenging.

jimx200
Explorer
Explorer
Good job, you handled it like a pro.

derh20
Explorer
Explorer
Here is an update. I was asked for my opinion going over the Grapevine. Keep in mind, we were traveling Northbound. Going up, no problem. I was going 45-50 MPH, with 3K RPM. Slow and steady. Going downhill, no problems at all for most of the way. At the end, there is a 5 mile 6% downhill. I put the MH in 3rd gear at the top and occasionally needed to tap the brakes. I do that instead of pushing the TH button because every time a have to tap the breaks, the transmission gears down again-which gears it down too much.

sandblast
Explorer
Explorer
time2roll wrote:
Going north there is only one almost steep section early on and then a few rolling hills. 55 max and right two lane restriction when towing in CA. Just hang with the truckers.

The decent has a truck speed limit of 45 or is it 35? Does not apply to you however you will be on your brakes. Anyway just go slow on this section. Coast up to maybe 55/60 and then brake moderately firm down to maybe 40 and let it coast back up again. Repeat until you are down. Pull the lever to hold a lower gear and keep your rpm 3000 to 4500 for engine braking. Some gear should allow your speed and rpm to stay close to these ranges.

Don't ride the brakes to maintain a steady speed.

Read Time 2 Roll.

Repeat, Read Time 2 Roll

Seon
Explorer
Explorer
derh20 wrote:
thanks for all your comments. My takeaway is to do it, so that is what I will do.

Good for you. Please post how your trip went.

derh20
Explorer
Explorer
thanks for all your comments. My takeaway is to do it, so that is what I will do.

Stranger
Explorer
Explorer
IIRC the Truck downhill speed limit applies if you have a GCVW of over 10,000 lbs.
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving
safely in one pretty and well preserved piece, but to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, worn out and defiantly shouting "Wow, what a ride!".
2012 Mesa Ridge 345RLS
2002 RAM 3500

jimx200
Explorer
Explorer
That V10 will climb the GV with ease!Best engine ever in a RV

eDUBz
Explorer
Explorer
45 all the way up you will do fine.
LBZ - Stealth TH - RZR 900 4 - Honda 450X - Paddleboarder - Fisherman - Kayaker

pauldub
Explorer
Explorer
Shouldn't be any big deal if you're used to going over the Siskiyous.

F1bNorm
Explorer
Explorer
The Grapevine is not the Grapevine of old! It's 6 lane, relatively straight. It is a 4000' pass. Rest stops and free dump stations at the summit. Do watch the weather (snow/snow closures) in winter. Hot during the summer. Will do in a marginal cooling system. High winds can push you around at any time. The steepest bits are at the beginnings and endings.

Norm
F1BNorm

IBcarguy
Explorer
Explorer
I've towed over the Grapevine many times with no problems. Beware if you go during the winter, sudden snow conditions can be a hazard there.

the_bear_II
Explorer
Explorer
Twice to three times a year I tow my 15,000lb 5th wheel over the Grapevine with no problem. Down hill and up hill I use first gear and keep the speed down to prevent over revving the engine.

Downhill- I use the stab and release brake technique. You decide on the speed you want to maintain. Allow the MH to climb 5-10MPH above that speed and then brake until your speed drops to 5-10MPH below the speed you decided. Get off the brakes and when your speed creeps up above your limit the use the brakes again. This will allow the brakes to cool in between brake applications.

You may be able to use a higher gear than first to maintain a safe down hill speed. I had to use first due to the weight of my trailer.

Uphill the goal is to not lug the engine. You want to find a gear that keeps your revs around the normal (or a little lower) tach reading when you are in high gear on flat and level raod.

The first time you hit the Grapevine will be a white knuckle drive but as you get towards the bottom and realize it's not that bad you'll relax.

For those that done't know the Grapevine is I-5 north of Los Angeles as it crosses the San Andreas Fault towards Bakersfield.

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
I've never avoided the vine. Gear down as navigator suggests, and it is good practice for the Rockies as ppine says.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad