cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Domicile / mail services

bacil
Explorer
Explorer
I work with this nice lady over at Americas Mailbox. They are helping me with everything related to domicile and mail including replacing my lost CA license (i haven't used it in last 3 years and misplaced it) with SD as well as we have now their help with our MH registration and all the other related issues.

But here comes my question, how about clubs like Escapees would they offer same services as this independent provider ? I know they have mail forwarding, and legal advice, can we get same help with DL for exaple etc. ?

Also how many of you using similar independent provider vs. big club
26 REPLIES 26

BarbaraOK
Explorer
Explorer
IT DOES HAVE AN ENHANCED LICENSE REQUIREMENT (not CDL) for Motorhomes (Class B) > 26,000# or PU/5er Combos (Class A) >26,000# with trailers >10,000#

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe - full-timing since 2006

Figment II

(2002 Alpine 36 MDDS) ๐Ÿ™‚
2018 Ford C-Max HYBRID
[purple]FMCA - F337834, SKP #90761[/purple]
Our Blog

tinner12002
Explorer
Explorer
BarbaraOK wrote:
tinner12002 wrote:
I just went to the Escapees website and seen nothing about them being able to help someone change their Domain to a different state.

Did you mean Domicile? What do you want them to do?
Join, click on mail service, sign up. That will get you your new domicile address.

You then give the folks at the Polk County assessors office a call, tell them your a new escapee and need to get your vehicles registered. They will talk you through the process, giving you the
exact amount of $ needed,
what documents to send with the payment,
the address to send it to, etc.

When they have processed the paperwork, they send plates/stickers over to Escapees (actually drive them over once a week, IIRC), Escapees sends an email to let you know they are 'in' and you send Escapees an email telling them where to send your mail, including your plates/registration stickers.

You still have to go to Texas to get your drivers license.

Lol, yes that's what I meant. But also the type of license required to pull an RV comes into play sometime...doesn't Texas have a CDL class B requirement for pulling a larger RV? Someone mentioned having to drive to SD for a nite to get DL but sounds like that's the same even for Texas and the Escapees.
I'm kinda leaning toward Mydakotaaddress for the benefits they have.
2015 Ram 3500/DRW/Aisin/auto/Max tow/4.10s,Cummins, stock Laramie Limited--Silver
Tequila Sunrise 2012 Ultra Classic Limited
2018 Raptor 428SP

mr__ed
Explorer
Explorer
I used "My Dakota Address" in Madison, SD for years until recently, when I had to get a permanent address. The owner, Teri Lund, did a wonderful job getting my mail to me wherever and whenever needed. The cost was very reasonable, too. She was also a great help with the local DMV, located within walking distance of her business.
Mr. Ed (fulltiming since 1987)
Life is fragile. Handle with prayer.

2007 Hitchhiker II LS Model 29.5 LKTG (sold)
2007 Dodge Ram 3500/6.7 CTD/QC/4X4/SB/SRW/6-speed man/Big Horn edition (sold)

BarbaraOK
Explorer
Explorer
tinner12002 wrote:
I just went to the Escapees website and seen nothing about them being able to help someone change their Domain to a different state.

Did you mean Domicile? What do you want them to do?
Join, click on mail service, sign up. That will get you your new domicile address.

You then give the folks at the Polk County assessors office a call, tell them your a new escapee and need to get your vehicles registered. They will talk you through the process, giving you the
exact amount of $ needed,
what documents to send with the payment,
the address to send it to, etc.

When they have processed the paperwork, they send plates/stickers over to Escapees (actually drive them over once a week, IIRC), Escapees sends an email to let you know they are 'in' and you send Escapees an email telling them where to send your mail, including your plates/registration stickers.

You still have to go to Texas to get your drivers license.

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe - full-timing since 2006

Figment II

(2002 Alpine 36 MDDS) ๐Ÿ™‚
2018 Ford C-Max HYBRID
[purple]FMCA - F337834, SKP #90761[/purple]
Our Blog

tinner12002
Explorer
Explorer
2015 Ram 3500/DRW/Aisin/auto/Max tow/4.10s,Cummins, stock Laramie Limited--Silver
Tequila Sunrise 2012 Ultra Classic Limited
2018 Raptor 428SP

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
I'm contacting mydakotaaddress to see if my plates can be done by mail. So far it looks good.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
You still have to go to SD and spend at least one day at a campground to become a resident and you can get all the stuff you need to get done the following day. I guess they mailed me the plates (can't remember) but we got it all done the same day with exacting instructions from the mail service. Health insurance changes forced us to change our residency and you could not get care outside of SD.
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
doxiemom11 wrote:
We have a different mail service in SD also and I do not think Escapees can offer the same type of services. Example would be getting your license plates. .
I need this service. Who did you use?
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

atleif
Explorer
Explorer
I am in a somewhat similar situation. I need a domicile address for a DL and such more so than actually getting mail. Does any one have experience with UPS store or any of the other virtual mailbox services they would suggest?

GuyN
Explorer
Explorer
I will be getting TRICARE Select in Aug. because of my current address is not near a military installation. We will also begin full-timing then.
2019 Keystone Cougar 30RLS
2012 Keystone Cougar 276RLSWE, (sold)
2015 Chevy HD 2500 Diesel 4X4 Crew Cab

PawPaw_n_Gram
Explorer
Explorer
Tricare Prime is not as easily obtained as Tricare for life.

I was dropped from Tricare Prime and moved to Tricare Stsndard, with higher deductibles when I changed my residence to Escapees in Livingston in 2014. Spent a bit over 3 1/2 years with Standard before turning 65.
Full-Time 2014 - ????

โ€œNot all who wander are lost.โ€
"You were supposed to turn back at the last street."

2012 Ram 2500 Mega Cab
2014 Flagstaff 832IKBS TT

67Cutlass
Explorer
Explorer
GuyN wrote:
67Cutlass wrote:
Overall they have extremely poor customer service. The only reason we still use them is because of TriCare. I look forward to the day we can stop using them.

What does having TriCare have to do with it?

One of the requirements for TriCare Prime is to be located within 100 miles of military base.

Things may have changed recently with current changes. But that was a requirement when we set this up in 2015.
2012 Phaeton 40QBH
2015 Jeep Cherokee
SMI Air Force One
Retired USAF - CEVG and AFTAC
Member of Tiffin RV Network Forum

GuyN
Explorer
Explorer
67Cutlass wrote:
Overall they have extremely poor customer service. The only reason we still use them is because of TriCare. I look forward to the day we can stop using them.

What does having TriCare have to do with it?
2019 Keystone Cougar 30RLS
2012 Keystone Cougar 276RLSWE, (sold)
2015 Chevy HD 2500 Diesel 4X4 Crew Cab

67Cutlass
Explorer
Explorer
We are using Americas Mailbox and DO NOT RECOMMEND using them. We went there in person when we changed our residence. The 'took' care of registering and licensing three of our vehicles. Each registration was screwed up. Paperwork and plates lost. Very difficult to deal with.

Americas mailbox will nickel and dime you to death when getting your mail forward. There is no way (without getting there most expensive mail forwarding service) to check you mail. They will not look at your mailbox unless you are looking for a particular piece of mail. They won't tell you if there is anything else there. You have to go online and blindly schedule mail to be sent. You do get an email stating something was set. But what you don't know is if anything was sent until you get a postcard stating nothing was there. You are also charge for the postcard telling you nothing is there.

Overall they have extremely poor customer service. The only reason we still use them is because of TriCare.

I look forward to the day we can stop using them.
2012 Phaeton 40QBH
2015 Jeep Cherokee
SMI Air Force One
Retired USAF - CEVG and AFTAC
Member of Tiffin RV Network Forum