cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Campgrounds & Places to see - Niagara to Sault St Marie

jlrmfc21
Explorer
Explorer
We are planning an August 2018 trip to Niagara from Detroit and are planning to make it a 2 week road trip. I know NOTHING about this part of Canada, but have started researching quite a bit. Just to give you an idea of the route we are considering, I am planning on the following:
Detroit to Niagara
Niagara to Manitoulin?????
Manitioulin to Sault St Marie
then a day in the UP, then back to Detroit

Again, we are totally open to suggestions for the middle part of the trip from Niagara all the way to Sault St Marie. We are having a hard time deciding where to stay.
Basically, we will be circling around Georgian Bay and Lake Huron.

I've looked at Manitoulin Island, Algonquin, killarney, bruce peninsula, etc which all look really nice as well. I've had a tough time finding camp grounds once I leave Toronto though and it seems that the only campgrounds are the provincial park campgrounds that don't seem very conducive to a 35 ft TT (White hawk 29BH). Seems that private campgrounds or KOAs are more conducive to full hookups?
What are some your recommendations of places to see along the way?
17 REPLIES 17

DaveG39
Explorer
Explorer
I have gone from Niagara Falls to Sarnia then up to the Soo. one day in the UP is far too little time. Three days in the Soo, two to 3 days in St. Ignace and Mackinac Island, 2 to 3 days in Munising area, etc.
2007 TropiCal LX towing 2012 Honda
CRV, Goleta, CA

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
Google Big Chute marine railway in the Georgian Bay area. Quite a marvel of engineering. There is a PP nearby that accommodated us in our <36' 5er no problem.
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

Canadian_Camper
Explorer
Explorer
Don’t forget to visit Science North, The Big Nickel and Dynamic Earth in Sudbury. Science North is on the shores of Ramsey Lake. You can take a tour boat ride on the Cortina.
Denis&Susan
French River, Ontario, Canada
2018 RAM Eco-Diesel 1500, 4 x 4, Crew Cab
2016 Evergreen I-Go Cloud 184RB

camp-n-family
Explorer
Explorer
Tobermory and the Bruce peninsula are great areas to see. The national park is nice but has no services. You need to reserve well in advance. Take the time to hike the trail to the grotto. There are a couple of family owned private parks in the area with services too.

Have you priced out the cost of the ferry across to Manitoulin? I don’t know what you’re travelling in but you may want to check it out before showing up. We did it once a few years ago With a 26’ tt and it was very expensive. We are now even longer in length and drive around the bay instead.

There are some beautiful parks if you take the long way around. Awenda near Midland and Grundy near the French River. They book fast though.
'17 Ram 2500 Crewcab Laramie CTD
'13 Keystone Bullet Premier 310BHPR
Hitched by Hensley

hone_eagle
Explorer
Explorer
Matt_Colie wrote:
Justin,

Plan at least 2 days at the Soo. Several nice campgrounds. The closer, you can walk to the locks and downtown. Get to the visitor center at the locks and look at the schedule (tentative) of ship passage then plan the day. The Valley Camp and River of History are worthwhile, the tower is a yawn.

If you can take the TV out to museum at Whitefish Point that will be a good most of a day. 75 miles from Saulte St. Marie. I can't go there for very long. (Memories of lost friends on Fitz.) My wife loved it.

Matt

dont forget the bush plane museum It is a do not miss for airplane enthusiasts
2005 Volvo 670 singled freedomline 12 speed
Newmar 34rsks 2008
Hensley trailersaver TSLB2H
directlink brake controller

-when overkill is cheaper-

Matt_Colie
Explorer
Explorer
Justin,

Plan at least 2 days at the Soo. Several nice campgrounds. The closer, you can walk to the locks and downtown. Get to the visitor center at the locks and look at the schedule (tentative) of ship passage then plan the day. The Valley Camp and River of History are worthwhile, the tower is a yawn.

If you can take the TV out to museum at Whitefish Point that will be a good most of a day. 75 miles from Saulte St. Marie. I can't go there for very long. (Memories of lost friends on Fitz.) My wife loved it.

Matt
Matt & Mary Colie
A sailor, his bride and their black dogs (one dear dog is waiting for us at the bridge) going to see some dry places that have Geocaches in a coach made the year we married.

Tripalot
Explorer
Explorer
When in N.F. be sure to take the boat ride up to the falls. It is a real experience and you won't regret it. Lots of other touristy things to do, but the boat ride is unique - not like a revolving lookout that you can do in any number of places.
2014 Triple E Regency GT24MB (Murphy Bed) with all the good stuff
towing a 2016 Jeep Cherokee TrailHawk
Berkley, the amazing camping cat missed dearly (1996-2012)

hone_eagle
Explorer
Explorer
jlrmfc21 wrote:
hone eagle wrote:
Wait I forgot ,you like to fish? then you may have heard of Michels Bay- bass heaven-.Other side across from MB is Rondeau PP should be able to get in on short notice, the closer to Toronto you get the tougher (almost impossible)it is to get into the Provincial parks.
Toronto is Canadas New York city so think about camping near NYC,sound like fun?North of toronto things dont thin out for a 100 miles ,get reservations asap.
Once you turn the corner at Sudbury the pressure is relived a bit.I recommend from the Sault dont cross back into michigan yet ,continue across lake Superior and cross at Duluth and do the circle tour of the big one.
Really the only thing to must see in southern ontario is niagara falls .

Hi, we maybe will fish but I'm not into fishing. although you really have me thinking now if we should just go to Niagara Falls for a weekend and then come home. Now I am thinking since we live in Detroit that maybe we should just go from Detroit to Siue stMarie and then continue all the way around superior and then come back into Michigan and come through the UP? Would that be a better use of our vacation time. One thing I should note is that I'm active duty army and will be moving from Michigan next spring so essentially this will be our only big trip so I want the most bang for my buck!

Took the words out of my mouth, make niagara falls day or overnight and your vacation the circle tour.
The falls are world class but a couple of hours and you have 'seen it' the rest of the area is kishy
and low grade (T shirt shops and riply's believe it or not )
Newmar 34rsks 2008

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
Here are a few excellent posts on Niagara Falls - American and Canadian sides - what to do, where to stay, etc. Also, on the very top of the page is a 'campground review' clicky. Do so for NY and you'll get a review of where they stayed.

https://wheelingit.us/category/general-musings-travel-tales/ny/
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

toedtoes
Explorer II
Explorer II
You definitely want to visit Niagara Falls. Be sure to spend some time just watching the water flow over the edge of the Horseshoe Falls - it mesmorizes you.
1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

jlrmfc21
Explorer
Explorer
hone eagle wrote:
Wait I forgot ,you like to fish? then you may have heard of Michels Bay- bass heaven-.Other side across from MB is Rondeau PP should be able to get in on short notice, the closer to Toronto you get the tougher (almost impossible)it is to get into the Provincial parks.
Toronto is Canadas New York city so think about camping near NYC,sound like fun?North of toronto things dont thin out for a 100 miles ,get reservations asap.
Once you turn the corner at Sudbury the pressure is relived a bit.I recommend from the Sault dont cross back into michigan yet ,continue across lake Superior and cross at Duluth and do the circle tour of the big one.

Hi, we maybe will fish but I'm not into fishing. although you really have me thinking now if we should just go to Niagara Falls for a weekend and then come home. Now I am thinking since we live in Detroit that maybe we should just go from Detroit to Siue stMarie and then continue all the way around superior and then come back into Michigan and come through the UP? Would that be a better use of our vacation time. One thing I should note is that I'm active duty army and will be moving from Michigan next spring so essentially this will be our only big trip so I want the most bang for my buck!

hone_eagle
Explorer
Explorer
Fizz wrote:
At that time of year you can forget Provincial campgrounds they will be booked solid.

True near Toronto ,but down south Wheatly and Rondeau can be enjoyed at a fairly short notice (month or so)and after you get off the 400 -after Sudbury - things open up a bit .
We booked into chutes pp only 3 weeks in advance .
West of the Sault is still best bet ,best scenery plenty of camping, in fact one of the provincial parks up there was closed for lack of demand.

(dont tell toronto)
Newmar 34rsks 2008

Fizz
Explorer
Explorer
At that time of year you can forget Provincial campgrounds they will be booked solid.

hone_eagle
Explorer
Explorer
Newmar 34rsks 2008