cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

short Class B for fulltime solo travel

OnTaMove
Explorer
Explorer
I'm looking for a short Class B for fulltime solo travel. Google showed me the Roadtrek Versatile, which is a tad under 19'. Any experience with it, or thoughts about other models I should look at?
41 REPLIES 41

Deb_and_Ed_M
Explorer
Explorer
Davydd wrote:

They photograph the interiors with a super wide angle lens Which distorts the width to make it look wider. This photo makes the width seem similar to the length. Mumkin's description is closer.

Agreed! I looked at a few of the Transit and Promaster-based B's and found them downright claustrophobic in person (not to mention the fact that my tall husband was going to be smacking his head on so many things) ๐Ÿ˜ž
Ed, Deb, and 2 dogs
Looking for a small Class C!

Davydd
Explorer
Explorer
goreds2 wrote:
ColoRockiesFan wrote:
This looks interesting ....

Hymer

Love the layout !!!

They photograph the interiors with a super wide angle lens Which distorts the width to make it look wider. This photo makes the width seem similar to the length. Mumkin's description is closer.
Davydd
2021 Advanced RV 144 WB 2500 Class B
2015 Advanced RV Ocean One Class B

Deb_and_Ed_M
Explorer
Explorer
mumkin wrote:
You can get the floor plan and options that you want... and nothing you don't want. Their 'design your own' link is great fun. ๐Ÿ˜Ž

Last I heard it takes about 12 months due to their popularity.

I have to confess that I used their website extensively, to plan the build for my Transit. Of course, I also spent a lot of time on the TransitUSA forum - there's a whole subculture of people converting cargo vans because they have specific needs not covered by the average Class B. Stuff like being able to keep their mountains bikes stored inside, for example. In MY case, my build allows me to carry a 12.5' kayak inside, and provides a long enough bed for 6'3" Hubby.

Come the day when I am no longer able to build my own, I will be contacting Sportsmobile ๐Ÿ™‚
Ed, Deb, and 2 dogs
Looking for a small Class C!

mumkin
Explorer
Explorer
That is the Hymer Activ which has been out for a couple years now. Yes, it does have a nice layout, but it is not very roomy inside. One person could certainly full time in it, but I think for most couples, it might be difficult. The aisle between galley and bathroom is very narrow.

The other negative for many is the cassette toilet. (of course, many like that too... a debate that equals gas vs diesel...)
Mumkin
2021 Promaster 1500 188wb conversion
2019 Roadtrek Simplicity SRT (half Zion/half Simplicity)
2015 Roadtrek 170
2011 LTV Libero
2004 GWV Classic Supreme

goreds2
Explorer
Explorer
ColoRockiesFan wrote:

Hymer

Love the layout !!!

See Picture In My Profile
I have a 1989 Dodge XPLORER RV Class B - Purchased 10/15/10 IN CASH
Fiance' purchased a Class C 2002 Dynamax Carri-go on 5/1/15 IN CASH
We've got the best of both worlds

bagman
Explorer
Explorer
I've done a lot of research on this topic and for me, I would choose the Pleasure Way Ascent!
Land of Opportunity & Liberty 4 ALL!

ColoRockiesFan
Explorer
Explorer

Hymer

angryskipper6
Explorer
Explorer
My husband planned to tackle our Wild West Tour with an 03 19' Pleasure Way. What a great decision that was. He drove downtown SF to Pier 39 Fisherman's Wharf. We chose parking lot right across from the water. We shopped for Dungness crab and sourdough bread. Marched back to the camper and headed for campground on highway up north. Wonderful. we could not believe our luck.

We traversed 10 += washboard dirt road to extinct Capulian volcano. Interesting ride but miserable road. We were able to ride all around the major and obscure parks with their original timber frames tunnels.

Actually the easy mobility was fantastic. Even easy enough for me to drive.

Enough room for 2 for 2 1/2 month. There did seem to us to be enough drawer and overhead locker space. We did have the 2 twin bed with additional cushioning.

Good luck on your search.

Davydd
Explorer
Explorer
Advanced RV has two that I know of short Sprinters in production for solo female full-time travelers. They're a couple of their first Sprinters on the short WB and they most likely will be somewhat custom designed for the owners. I don't know much more so I am waiting to see what they come up with.
Davydd
2021 Advanced RV 144 WB 2500 Class B
2015 Advanced RV Ocean One Class B

mumkin
Explorer
Explorer
OnTaMove wrote:
I don't like any of the options thus far. I think I may wait for the gas sprinters to come available in a few years.

If time was no issue, I would go over to the Sportsmobile website. There are three locations and my contacts with them have always been good. I did visit the Texas factory and it was all very appealing.

They can build on a Sprinter or a Promaster or a Transit or even a Chevy express - if they can get one. Whatever you and your budget requires. You can get the floor plan and options that you want... and nothing you don't want. Their 'design your own' link is great fun. ๐Ÿ˜Ž

Last I heard it takes about 12 months due to their popularity.
Mumkin
2021 Promaster 1500 188wb conversion
2019 Roadtrek Simplicity SRT (half Zion/half Simplicity)
2015 Roadtrek 170
2011 LTV Libero
2004 GWV Classic Supreme

OnTaMove
Explorer
Explorer
I don't like any of the options thus far. I think I may wait for the gas sprinters to come available in a few years.

PSW
Explorer
Explorer
It has been a month since the original poster, OnTaMove, asked questions. It would be nice to hear from OnTaMove and hear the poster's comments or decision.
PSW
2013 Phoenix Cruiser 2350
2014 Jeep Cherokee behind it
and a 2007 Roadtrek 210P for touring

Songbirds
Explorer
Explorer
I DON't like but others did so here is the information for anyone in search of an OFFROAD Class B Here is a 19.5'-foot wet bath, OK it's 2018, Revel Class B, Here a link Full details of the Class B Revel
2021 Mercedes-Benz Sprinter Van, showing six tires down, 3400XD, V6, 7-Speed Automatic 24FL, 170-WB, 24'-3", Coachmen Galleria w/Li3, "Next ROAD TRIP" to where?

Songbirds
Explorer
Explorer
OnTaMove wrote:
I'm looking for a short Class B for fulltime solo travel. Google showed me the Roadtrek Versatile, which is a tad under 19'. Any experience with it, or thoughts about other models I should look at?

My biggest issue stepping into the Class B was that big issue with a WET BATH. Winnebago ERA 70M has a DRY Bath and a wardrobe outside of the bathroom. A nice Murphy bed and fits my inside height requirement at 6-foot 3-inches inside height. Was a little worried about the length but so far has not seen or been a problem at 19.5-foot. This ERA 70M looks really nice good looking RV. The road trek has the wet bath and a bit too small and HIGH off the Ground for us. And about 50.000-less than a road trek. But the big killer of most all Class B is the wet bath. The 2018 ERA 70M, on a FORD Murphy Bed, DRY-BATHROOM So anyone knows of another CLASS B, with a DRY-BATH other Than Winnebago ERA 70M?
2021 Mercedes-Benz Sprinter Van, showing six tires down, 3400XD, V6, 7-Speed Automatic 24FL, 170-WB, 24'-3", Coachmen Galleria w/Li3, "Next ROAD TRIP" to where?