cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

RV generator problem.

WTrippe
Explorer
Explorer
My generator quit working on me yesterday. It worked fine for coffee in the morning , but at lunch time it would no longer start. It's an Onan MicroQuiet 4000. Model 4KYFA261OOK Serial A070013571.

Here is a video I made yesterday trying to start it when the problem first occurred. You can hear the humming and a slight clicking.

https://youtu.be/2hZAKPptzcY

The simplest suggestion was to try and rotate my fan. I just did so this morning. It sounded like loose metal clinking as I turned it. Then when I went to start it, it made a metal clank sound in addition to the humming, but still no cranking.

The clicking went to a clanking and I'm afraid I'm damaging it more every time I try to start it because there wasn't even a clicking when it first started having problem.

Any helpful suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks,

William
13 REPLIES 13

Kpackpackkelley
Explorer
Explorer
Good job

WTrippe
Explorer
Explorer
Hello everyone. I wanted to give an update
I went to the repair shop yesterday and was able to get some help. They replaced the starter and everything is working good as new! The old starter had completely come apart.

https://imgur.com/gallery/IrAbs

Thank you everyone for you help!

William

Kpackpackkelley
Explorer
Explorer
191-2312 looks right going by parts manual for a spec K.

WTrippe
Explorer
Explorer
So I called this place and gave them the model # of my generator and they told me this was the replacement part for it.

https://www.dbelectrical.com/products/starter-onan-191-1630-191-1667-191-2132-1975-on.html

but from researching this forum, another person said this was the correct replacement.

https://www.dbelectrical.com/products/onan-starter-191-1798-191-2312-kv-engines-all-year-models.html

I'm not sure which one is right. I called Onan and they told me the part number is 191-2312. I just want to check before I order the part.

Thanks,

William

WTrippe
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you for the help. I will have to find a place where I can work on it. I think this will be a big project for me. I am not comfortable having to remove the generator from my RV to replace the starter/Bendix.

Thanks,

William

LittleBill
Explorer
Explorer
like said bendix is either stripped or not completely engaging, that's what i assume is the random metal sounds.

pull starter and check gear/flywheel for damage before replacing starter

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Back in my day.. I had a car that ate those bendix gears like they were M&M's I kid you not more than a few months was .. Rare.. (I finally replaced the flywheel ring gear)

I got so I kept a spare gear. Since it slipped nicely over the gear shift lever (FLoor shifter) I simply unscrewed the knob, slipped a spare on and replaced the knob, that way I always knew where the spare was. 15 minutes on teh side of the road or in a parking lot and I was good to go.

If it is the gear.. Find a Starter/Alternator shop. they can still get 'em way cheaper than a new starter.. Walters in Redford, MI is where I got mine, On Grand River.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
Sounds like the Bendix gave out. Starter is spinning but not engaging.
I would remove and check its operation.

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
WTrippe wrote:
... It sounded like loose metal clinking as I turned it. Then when I went to start it, it made a metal clank sound in addition to the humming, but still no cranking.

The clicking went to a clanking and I'm afraid I'm damaging it more every time I try to start ...

You need a professional to look at it. It could be just a problem with the starter or it could be a major failure inside the engine.

Kpackpackkelley
Explorer
Explorer
Starter bendix. And they donโ€™t sell the kit from onan to fix them anymore got to buy the whole starter.
I did see some kits on the net. http://www.partsfortechs.com/asapcart/starter-drive-kit-replaces-onan-1912313-1912157-p-89.html

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
SidecarFlip wrote:
Sounds to me like the starter motor bendix is stuck. Starter motor time most likely. Try taking a hammer and smacking the starter motor (not too hard) just a light tap. That may allow the bendix to extent and engage the flywheel.

It does sound like the starter drive is not engaging. The hammer trick might work, but it ain't a real fix, it is just a means of diagnosing the problem.

The metal clunking might be the magnets. It seems strange that you would have two simultaneous problems. Maybe the starter was broken when the engine wouldn't turn.

SidecarFlip
Explorer
Explorer
Sounds to me like the starter motor bendix is stuck. Starter motor time most likely. Try taking a hammer and smacking the starter motor (not too hard) just a light tap. That may allow the bendix to extent and engage the flywheel.
2015 Backpack SS1500
1997 Ford 7.3 OBS 4x4 CC LB

Ranger_Smith
Explorer
Explorer
There were some generators where the magnets inside would come unglued and destroy the generator. Sounds like what happened to yours.
Where we are now

Amateur Radio Operator WW1SS . . . Flex 6500 PGXL and TGXL
Steve and Joy
2014 Itasca Suncruiser 38Q . . . 2016 Lincoln MKX
The Doodles, Abbie & Abel
Baby and Kissie the Chihuahuas and Lucy the Biewere Yorkie