Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Tech Issues: Suburban sf30 furnace
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Suburban sf30 furnace

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Mn camper guy!

Minnesota

View Profile

Posted: 03/04/18 01:27pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have a 2015 suburban sf 30 furnance that I used only one season. I went to use it this year and day two into a week all trip furnace quit working. I removed and found ignitior wire had burn off. I replaced it and ran one night and did it again. I couldn’t find any wires shorts and removed burner half the holes were full and closed with soot. Anyone have a idea what wrong? I think it running to long and getting to hot inside chamber but that’s just my thought.

❚ Did you see the FTS "Announcement : READ BEFORE POSTING HERE"?
    Forum Technical Support (FTS) is reserved for questions related to the use of the Open Roads Forum sites,
    member profile and photo testing, and for reporting account issues. Please avoid using FTS for RV related
    questions, as doing so can delay responses to your thread. Instead, select the Sub-Forum which corresponds to the subject of your topic. Thank-you!

Moved from FORUM TECHNICAL SUPPORT

* This post was edited 03/05/18 06:05pm by an administrator/moderator *

ChuckV1

Rochester WA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/04/18 01:33pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Had the same thing, was a bad circuit board causing the problem so they said, I was luck mine was still under warranty an fix by a Suburban service center!!!

Safe Travels

Old-Biscuit

Verde Valley

View Profile

Posted: 03/04/18 05:20pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Mn camper guy! wrote:

I have a 2015 suburban sf 30 furnance that I used only one season. I went to use it this year and day two into a week all trip furnace quit working. I removed and found ignitior wire had burn off. I replaced it and ran one night and did it again. I couldn’t find any wires shorts and removed burner half the holes were full and closed with soot. Anyone have a idea what wrong? I think it running to long and getting to hot inside chamber but that’s just my thought.

Too Hot.....High Temp Limit Switch would trip and shut it down

Spark Electrode High Tension Wire burnt into......that is due to loose/corroded/bad connection (transformer on circuit board produces 2000+ voltage for that intense spark)

Burner slots....HALF obstructed. Either thorough cleaning or replace burner

Sounds like furnace needs some cleaning 'maintenance'

Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
On the Road Debt Free April '07
Off the road still Debt Free Jan. '14

SidecarFlip

SE Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 03/04/18 05:57pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Sounds to me like it's burning way too rich for starters.

2015 Backpack SS1500
1997 Ford 7.3 OBS 4x4 CC LB

Mn camper guy!

Minnesota

View Profile

Posted: 03/05/18 05:59pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

SidecarFlip wrote:

Sounds to me like it's burning way too rich for starters.
Is there anyway to adjust furnace for it being to rick? I’ve already cleaned. I’m a little disappointed that I only used furnace three weeks before this and already having problems of course after warranty runs out over 30,000 spent on it and only get six days out of a furnace that I’ll 400 into once I’m done! Shame! I’m sure hoping it the board.

dougrainer

Carrolton, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 03/05/18 06:49pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

1. In 38 years as a service tech, I have never seen a Ignition wire burn/melt off
2. To have 2 do it, points to you having a severe Insect infestation. NOT a defective Furnace
3. The soot is caused by burning LP without enough air. The furnace is designed to have the correct air/LP mixture and there is NO adjustment
4. You problem as I stated is the Interior chamber is clogged with Insect mud nests and insects. You need to disassemble the furnace and clean it out. I disassemble and run water thru the chamber and you will be amazed at what comes out that you cannot see. You must do this and then reassemble and run the burner to evaporate any moisture left in the chamber. Doug

Mn camper guy!

Minnesota

View Profile

Posted: 03/05/18 09:19pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

dougrainer wrote:

1. In 38 years as a service tech, I have never seen a Ignition wire burn/melt off
2. To have 2 do it, points to you having a severe Insect infestation. NOT a defective Furnace
3. The soot is caused by burning LP without enough air. The furnace is designed to have the correct air/LP mixture and there is NO adjustment
4. You problem as I stated is the Interior chamber is clogged with Insect mud nests and insects. You need to disassemble the furnace and clean it out. I disassemble and run water thru the chamber and you will be amazed at what comes out that you cannot see. You must do this and then reassemble and run the burner to evaporate any moisture left in the chamber. Doug
I cleaned it out and no bugs came out at all. I ran water through it. I thought the heat sensor in the front might be defective and was getting to hot only burns the wire to the point where it exits the furnace wall. Like I yes sense new it’s only been run 6 times but it seems to run a long time before it shuts down and turns back on with in minutes and runs half hour easy before it shuts down again. Uses a lot of fuel. Like it’s to small for the 25’ 5th wheel does have cold weather packages.

dougrainer

Carrolton, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 03/06/18 05:48am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

SF 30 is more than large enough for a 25 ft RV. You are talking about the Ignition wire that goes to the SPARK electrode? Not the Hi temp sensor wire? Since you have stated it, I would replace the Hi temp sensor. They are very cheap. Soot indicates that the fresh air is NOT getting to the combustion chamber, hence it runs rich. Doug

Mn camper guy!

Minnesota

View Profile

Posted: 03/06/18 04:06pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thought maybe the high temp sensor was letting it run to hot and that’s why the spark wiire burned twice! Like I say camper is almost new furnace as only been use 6 days before the wire melted and like I said installed new igniter and that burned the first time it was used.

PaulJ2

Northwest Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 03/06/18 06:51pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Sounds like not enough air to the burner. Does the blower that feeds air to the burner come up to speed? Usually motor drives two blowers, one for the burner and the other warm air for the camper.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Suburban sf30 furnace
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS