cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

BLM information

Blazing_Zippers
Explorer II
Explorer II
I'm not pushing the right buttons----I'm trying to access BLM campground information. The BLM site is vague to me, or I'm missing something.
Is there a site that I can gain information about BLM camping?
Thanks-----
17 REPLIES 17

LenSatic
Explorer
Explorer
While BLM information is sparse, their area of responsibility is vast and somewhat fragile. I've mentioned before that I have never seen a BLM Ranger in the wild. Where I live I'm surrounded by BLM and AZ State land. There are also several ghost towns and ruins nearby. Some are actively managed and they are "advertised". Others are known to locals but the BLM says that they are where they are not in order to preserve them. As a boondocker it is frustrating but we have found ways to deal with it. Just go to the area you are interested in an ask the locals, gun stores (hunters know), Border Patrol, Sheriffs, etc. We've never had a problem, found places most will never hear of, and made a few new friends. We've done all of the above except gun stores. Be Bold! Boondock!
2008 Casita SD 17
2006 Chevy Tahoe LT 4x4
2009 Akita Inu
1956 Wife
1950 LenSatic

BoonHauler
Explorer
Explorer
JT wrote:
The 'new and improved' BLM website is NOT. After a lot of clicking and scrolling through a lot of dead ends, pretty pictures, and useless 'information', I found this page; it serves as a starting point for finding the locations, facilities, and activities on BLM lands.

https://www.blm.gov/visit

X2 ...... as far as I'm concerned they did it on purpose. The BLM website used to be by state but that's all gone now. I spoke with a BLM Field Office in Arizona and when I inquired into what happened to the website I was told that their Field Office was in protest of what happened to the website.

Everyone should call or write the BLM and complain about it. Maybe with our new Secretary things will change.
05 RAM 3500 CTD 4x4 Q/C Laramie DRW/NV5600/3.73, B&W Gooseneck, MaxBrake, PacBrake PRXB, Brite Box Fogster, BD steering Box Brace
2014 BoonHauler 3614

DrewE
Explorer
Explorer
JT wrote:
I always select the 'Camping' link; the 'Recreational Vehicles' link is very limiting. BLM's idea of a 'recreational vehicle' may be very different from yours or mine; one can assess whether the access or camp spot listed in 'camping' venues are do-able for his/her particular vehicle(s).

From the quick search I did (in Montana/Dakotas), it seemed that "recreational vehicle" meant ATV rather than camper, indeed a rather big difference. The one recreational vehicle option was clearly for zipping around on four-wheelers and the the like, while many if not most of the camping options would be perfectly acceptable for (what we call) RVs.

JT
Explorer
Explorer
I always select the 'Camping' link; the 'Recreational Vehicles' link is very limiting. BLM's idea of a 'recreational vehicle' may be very different from yours or mine; one can assess whether the access or camp spot listed in 'camping' venues are do-able for his/her particular vehicle(s).

Ramblin__Ralph
Explorer
Explorer
2gypsies wrote:

This is an improvement! Be sure to click on 'recreation vehicles' not 'camping'. There's a difference.

For Nevada, one (1) "rec vehicle" site (Sand Mountain). "Camping" gets you 40!
Ralph
2006 GMC 2500HD, XCab, SB, 6.0L w/2001 Lance 845
Bilstein Shocks, TorkLift Stable Loads, 100 Ah LiFePo4, 225 watt solar
My RV Travels Webpage / Yearly Campsite Map / 740 Campsites / YouTube Videos /
Instagram

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer

This is an improvement! Be sure to click on 'recreation vehicles' not 'camping'. There's a difference.
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

JT
Explorer
Explorer
The 'new and improved' BLM website is NOT. After a lot of clicking and scrolling through a lot of dead ends, pretty pictures, and useless 'information', I found this page; it serves as a starting point for finding the locations, facilities, and activities on BLM lands.

bukhrn
Explorer III
Explorer III
Don't try to find any in the east, as we don't have any. ๐Ÿ˜ž
2007 Forester 2941DS
2014 Ford Focus
Zamboni, Long Haired Mini Dachshund

bukhrn
Explorer III
Explorer III
2007 Forester 2941DS
2014 Ford Focus
Zamboni, Long Haired Mini Dachshund

Off_Pavement
Explorer
Explorer
Recreation.gov seems to have all the former BLM recreation sites, but I have not tried a generic search for them. The BLM sites I previously linked to on my website, I had to change over to Recreation.gov as BLM really downgraded most of their state recreation pages IMO.

One more way to find some old information BLM has for reference only is through Internet Wayback Machine. It's kinda hit and miss, but you can find a lot of information that might be useful.

Good Luck!
The Road To Paradise Is NOT Paved!
Please Support Multiple Use of our Public Lands!

Brian Hoag
www.rv-camping.org
'10 Sunseeker Class C - Gozer II
'13 Jeep JKU (Wrangler) - Billie

wanderingaimles
Explorer
Explorer
Another member in here does some You Tube videos and did one on finding these spots.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TTRw3A-IIZY

He gave several tips on locating areas on BLM lands.

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
What state are you searching for... perhaps we can all put our minds together and find something for you. I agree, BLM is hard to work through. Also, we used the Benchmark series of road atlases for the western states. They have one for each state so it's not small print and it includes lots of public park information and public campgrounds. BLM lands and national forest lands are clearly marked on them.
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

Blazing_Zippers
Explorer II
Explorer II
Whew! I thought it was just me....
Thanks for the come back.

Tiger4x4RV
Nomad
Nomad
BLM used to have very good websites, but a couple of years ago much of the useful info disappeared. There is still pretty good info on AllStays and Campendium, but the links there (to the original BLM sites) are often dead ends.

It is best to start your search asking about camping in a region. That can lead to BLM and all sorts of other sites. Refine with available filters such as price and amenities to get to the type of camp you want.
2006 Tiger CX 4x4, 8.1 L gas V-8, Allison 6-speed