Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Getting ready to buy a Winnebago Sunstar 29VE Class A

Jim102
Explorer
Explorer
To all,

Well getting ready to get into a Class A, just me and the wife. What is everyone's thought on this unit? The size and price is about right for us and we like the layout.... Then comes what kind of tow car, has anyone tried the idea of renting a car where you set up for a week or so?

Thanks,
Jim
2018 Jayco Precept 29V Class A
Air Force 1969 - 1973
20 REPLIES 20

tropical36
Explorer
Explorer
Jim102 wrote:
I'm getting a 2009 Jeep Wrangler 4X4 to tow, 87k miles, one owner (as old as me) removable hard sides and top. Has not been OFF road with it..... what a find...
Now, do I want a Blue OX or what?

Thx,
Jim

I went with a NSA READYBRUTE/ELITE and a DEMCO base plate for the Jeep. Hard to beat one of these setups, when it's all said and done and for getting the best bang for the buck. Went with a COOLTECH harness for the lights and for making things sweet and simple.
"We are often so caught up in our destination that we forget to appreciate the journey."

07 Revolution LE 40E_Spartan MM_06 400HP C9 CAT_Allison 3000.

Dinghy_2010 Jeep Wrangler JKU ISLANDER.

1998 36ft. National Tropi-Cal Chevy Model 6350 (Sold)

Jim102
Explorer
Explorer
I'm getting a 2009 Jeep Wrangler 4X4 to tow, 87k miles, one owner (as old as me) removable hard sides and top. Has not been OFF road with it..... what a find...

Thx,
Jim
Air Force 1969 - 1973

Jim102
Explorer
Explorer

Thx,
Jim
Air Force 1969 - 1973

tropical36
Explorer
Explorer
I've noticed that in most all the toad threads, seldom is there a post whereas one has used a four down dinghy for awhile and then decided against it and went to a dolly or for not towing at all, in favor of renting.
"We are often so caught up in our destination that we forget to appreciate the journey."

Not applicable
Me and the wife did exactly this 4 years ago. Bought a 30' W Vista, had it a year and moved up to a 33c (34') W Sightseer, same as sunstar I think. Much better ride, room, counter etc even with same motor, but little longer wheelbase. Wish we had done this 1 st because we took a big $ hit after 1 year, but glad we did. My advice, drive em both. We rent cars wherever we go, easier and inexpensive, maybe we'll get the trailer and the right toad, but for us, rental car is easier. Whatever you do, beat em down on the price.

BillofPA
Explorer
Explorer
We had a breakdown in Utah in the middle of nowhere. The toad was a life saver. Something to think about.
Jenny & Bill
2004 H/Rambler Ambassador 34PDD
Cummins ISC330 Allison 6 speed
2003 Chevy Malibu Toad
Our new Yorkie, Daisy.

jimx200
Explorer
Explorer
Uber and Lyft are easy and cheap.No toad for us as we like to get in smaller and remote places.

Jim102
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for stuff to think about...That 29' we ae getting is a gasser, do Love or any of the other truck stations have a "straight shot" lane for gas? I have been looking at a 2009 Jeep with 100,000 miles on it, his asking price is 16K. Nice looking and clean, tires are about new, well taken care of...... But, I will have a mechanic look at it if we can agree on a price.
We are picking up the Jayco Precept 29v on this Friday. We are heading to Hill AFB to spend a few months up there with our son and his family (he has 4 yrs. left and just made Master Sgt.
If we don't get the Jeep we are going to rent a car there... Again thanks for all the help..

Jim
Air Force 1969 - 1973

tropical36
Explorer
Explorer
Jim102 wrote:
Thanks for all the advice... My main concern is the Class A which are now getting next week is a 29ft. Jayco Precept (gasser), is that going to be hard to get in a regular gas station with the TOAD?
Thanks, Jim

I've been in Walmart fuel stations, taking on diesel fuel with our toad intact, if that might answer your question.
With your choice of a coach and towing, we like many ended up with a large DP and toad, after years of doing otherwise. Just wish we would've went this route in the beginning. Cost is the same and just a matter of age and with or without slides. Slides are a huge factor for book value and like no other.

D_E_Bishop
Explorer
Explorer
We bought our first factory made RV in 1998, a 27 foot Bounder, set it up to pull the Mazda PU. In 2000 we took off for AK and left the PU at home. Never again! We made quite a few short trips after AK but most for a week or less and some where we just sat and unwound, didn't miss the towed.

Then came DGKs, a week-end trip is okay but taking off for a week or more to show them the country without a towed, Never Again!

We're on our third towed, a 1995 Sidekick, it is my favorite to tow, I am hating the troubles that have come with age. At 2700 lbs. more or less, a great towed, 23 years of age a real pain.

New towed on the horizon is a Ford Edge which will be the DW's DD.

As for parking and gassing up, never really had a problem, the Bounder was 43' with towed, this rig should be 48'. We use mostly COSTCO and Sam's Club for gas, they have better designed stations for the most part. Ingress is usually very straight in, egress is always something I analyze as I pull in, some times very tight usually I just have to be careful. Hookup and unhook, very easy and takes about 5 minutes to hookup and 3 to unhook.

We are thinking of getting a smaller rig, 25 or 26 foot. We'll probably get rid of the towed then. DW and I are mid and late 70's and we've been on almost all of our bucket road trips. Longer stays in areas where we don't need a towed and we're not as adventurous as we once were and don't take the logging roads and jeep trails we use to take.
"I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake. The great affair is to go". R. L. Stevenson

David Bishop
2002 Winnebago Adventurer 32V
2009 GMC Canyon
Roadmaster 5000
BrakeBuddy Classic II

FunTwoDrv
Explorer
Explorer
In a word "maybe"... Our RV and toad are 48'. Getting into the average station is pretty much out of the question. Mainly due to the filler being on the driver's side. Sounds odd, but that makes it very challenging getting in and out of most stations. If your filler is in the rear, that could make a big difference.
To eliminate the stress of fueling, we use the Pilot app and filter by RV Fueling Lanes. If nothing is available, we use Google Earth to look for stations with the appropriate space to maneuver.
Planning is key as you don't want to get in a situation where you have to unhook to get out of.
Good luck,
Gary

Jim102
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for all the advice... My main concern is the Class A which are now getting next week is a 29ft. Jayco Precept (gasser), is that going to be hard to get in a regular gas station with the TOAD?
Thanks, Jim
Air Force 1969 - 1973

cwit
Explorer
Explorer
We have had our mother home for 4 years now and have always had a toad. Won’t leave home without it. We own 2 cars and have them both set up to tow 4 down.

ct78barnes
Explorer
Explorer
When we got our first class A wife wanted me to get use to driving the coach so after first season over the winter we got our Trailblazer ready to tow. Bought tow bar and tow bar and when got coach out and drove it back to dealer to install the tow bar and wire thing up. Took video of the teck showing me how to hook up and set up break buddy up.I watched that tape a lot the first year . We got our new coach and after we got 500 miles on the clock Ford says to do if we are driving it the toad is always back there.The parking when traveling is no big deal most big box stores have places way out that you can park on the side and gas stops are truck stops Flying Jays if we can find them because they have rv only lanes.It takes some getting use to but to not have a toad is out of the question for us.