cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Wired or wireless back up cameras????

zell66
Explorer
Explorer
Looking to purchase at minimum a 2 camera system.

https://www.rearviewsafety.com/rvs-770616n-backup-camera-system-with-side-cameras-digital-lcd-back-up.html?gclid=Cj0KCQiAq6_UBRCEARIsAHyrgUxSCYmMx1vckexR-_iW6Boc2yyySyKhJuksRuAoRjca9SsTrFRb3mUaArKLEALw_wcB

The above is a link for a wired 2 camera system.

I would also like to find a wireless 2 camera set up.

What are the ups and downs of each system?

Looking to spend between $350 and $500.
20 REPLIES 20

RCMAN46
Explorer
Explorer
I tried a wireless system.
I wanted a system to keep track of a utility trailer that I tow behind my 5th wheel.
Also should be very useful in heavy traffic and multi lane freeways.

The wireless worked perfect when I was setting it up in my shop building.

But when I got out in the real world I found power lines caused interference.

Also found when near large trucks system would go black. Thus of no use in heavy multi lane freeways where the system would be of the most benefit to see what is going on behind so I could change lanes safely.

I went with a wired system that works perfect under all conditions.

BrandyRV
Explorer
Explorer
We have this wireless camera from netgear and we like its recordings so far. I can receive movement updates on my phone and we can check it through its mobile app. The only thing we don't like much about it is its battery life, since it's wireless. We used to charge it a few months being used. Now we're down to 8weeks.

CincyGus
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have not done a wired camera but if I were going to, I think I would utilize a 4 wire pair of cable like you see on boat trailers. Put an connector suitable to your camera for the video feed (usually an RCA Yellow plug) on the end near the camera, pick up a Hot and Ground (Splice in) for two of the other 4 wires and run to my rear bumper. Get a plug mount that attached to the bumper with a weather tight cap, just like if you were installing a trailer hook up. Make your connections there when you connect your trailer cord to your truck.

Then run the second part through your trailer frame, back to your fridge, up through the chase for your fridge vent and along your roof to the top rear of your trailer. Mount your camera on the center rear of the roof and make your HOT/Ground and video connections and then tape down your wire running from the fridge vent to the camera with eterno-bond tape to keep it from moving/flapping around, just like they do for solar wire installs.
2015 GMC 2500 Denali Crewcab 4x4
2019 Forest River Wolfpack 23pack15

Hope your travels are safe and the friendships made camping are lasting.

56Jeff
Explorer
Explorer
Can I get some hints on how to run the wires from the camera from the back of the 5th wheel and all the way to the dash board. the whole thing of trying t install the cable and it look good is my biggest fear. Especially the transition from the RV to the truck.

TIA
56Jeff

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Wired is way way better technically

Wireless can both CAUSE issues with other hardware and be subject to interference. Signal face or block and other nasties...

Wired is way better.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

LarryJM
Explorer
Explorer
When I wanted a camera system I went rogue and purchased a "baby monitor" system use from "Summer Infant" and couldn't be more pleased. My basic reasoning is that I felt baby monitoring systems better works since if they suffered from signal loss or quality issues when used in a home environment for keeping track of an infant they would soon received a lot of negative feedback since parents would not accept substanded performance for such an important system. For RVing I have a camera mounted inside the trailer on the back window with the monitor setting on top my dog house in the Van. In the 4 years so far I have almost never lost a signal and the biggest drawback is it doesn't support a "reverse view", but that IMO is not a show stopper. The system handles multiple cameras, can be romotely aimed and zoomed and can be either powered by a wire or batteries and supports two way communications. I have a second camera that I have installed inside the trailer to keep track on things inside while traveling.

At home I move the camera in the rear of the trailer to our front window so I can see the goings on out front at our house along with a view of the front door. I still leave the camera inside the trailer so I can see that when at home too. I also use a camera mounted on a pole to check on my gutters at home periodically for debris and to ensure they are clean when I clean them from the ground.

For under $200 for the monitor and one camera and about another $75 per camera it is IMO a great dependable system.

Just something else to consider for those wanting to go "A DIFFERENT ROUTE"

Larry
2001 standard box 7.3L E-350 PSD Van with 4.10 rear and 2007 Holiday Rambler Aluma-Lite 8306S Been RV'ing since 1974.
RAINKAP INSTALL////ETERNABOND INSTALL

MDKMDK
Explorer
Explorer
I'd like to speak to someone who really knows these things, wired or wireless. I'm looking online at Best Buy, and wonder if they might have a "dash cam geek" on site somewhere? Knowing that you're talking to an expert makes it easier to ask questions that websites can't answer.
I'll get around to it.

I remember one guy on another forum had added a wireless backup camera to his camper van, and said he could pick up wireless/wifi security cameras in some areas. I guess the wireless bands they transmit on are similar. That might be fun in some instances.
Mike. Comments are anecdotal or personal opinions, and worth what you paid for them.
2018 (2017 Sprinter Cab Chassis) Navion24V + 2016 Wrangler JKU (sold @ ????)
2016 Sunstar 26HE, V10, 3V, 6 Speed (sold @ 4600 miles)
2002 Roadtrek C190P (sold @ 315,000kms)

zell66
Explorer
Explorer
After talking it over with the boss lady, we are going to wait on camera system. After towing for the last 20 years I can honestly saw I never needed it. Maybe in the future but not now. Thanks for all the input.

old_guy
Explorer
Explorer
problem with wireless is the distance and grainy pictures

MDKMDK
Explorer
Explorer
zell66 wrote:
MDKMDK, That is exactly where I am at. I don't know if I need it, but part of me wants it. LOL

I'll probably do it "eventually", or sooner, right after we have our first "near miss". ๐Ÿ˜‰
Mike. Comments are anecdotal or personal opinions, and worth what you paid for them.

zell66
Explorer
Explorer
MDKMDK, That is exactly where I am at. I don't know if I need it, but part of me wants it. LOL

MDKMDK
Explorer
Explorer
It's been a lower priority back burner issue for me, too. I was thinking the ability to "prove what happened" with video evidence, to the police or the insurance company, would be a nice feature with all the potential problems we face out there. However, we've been on the road for 10 years and have not needed it, either.
Since we're in a relatively short motorhome, I'm probably going to go wireless connectivity front and rear, with wifi/bluetooth, when I get around to it. As for the camera power source, I have no idea what's available, but plugged in to 12VDC somewhere, or even USB charging, would be nicer than rechargeable batteries or disposables, I'm thinking.

zell66
Explorer
Explorer
OK stupid question, I have been pulling our old trailer around Wisconsin (1996 3/4 suburban and 40' Jayco) without a camera system for 6 years. Now we have a 2008 F-350 and a 2012 Sandpiper 365 SAQ. Never thought I needed a camera with the old set up and now I am thinking about it. I guess I am second guessing myself as to the need.

downtheroad
Explorer
Explorer
I had the same experience as the above posters....my first shot at it was a wireless system....(I took this shortcut because it was easy). Result: terrible.

Switched to a wired system and have been happy every since....and it wasn't all that much harder to install.
"If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane."

Arctic Fox 25Y
GMC Duramax
Blue Ox SwayPro