cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Setting up a camp for four months?

ctilsie242
Explorer
Explorer
Has anyone been part of a festival where they are given a spot to set up for dry camping, coming to one's camp on weekends for 4-5 months?

Right now, I have a TT, which is pretty much dedicated for this festival, however in a couple years, I want to replace it because it is too big for quick trips, and go with a class "B" or a TC.

I am looking at several options for the camp. One would be a cargo trailer with the side door option that has a RV-style handle. However, with that comes the fact that I'd have to find storage for the cargo trailer (which I'm dealing with now), that doesn't seem to be the best option.

Another option would be a Shelterlogic model or a decent, rugged tent that can be put up, vehicle backed into, and that used. However, most tents take 3-4 people to put up, and I don't know if I can get the additional hands needed to get that set up and taken down.

Has anyone done this in a dry camping/boondocking environment?
5 REPLIES 5

Old_Man
Explorer
Explorer
If I were going to a festival like that (I would not) I'd take all the valuable stuff out of the coach. If you can't afford to lose it, it shouldn't really be there.

Merrykalia
Explorer
Explorer
I would not leave anything worth having on a site while I wasn't there and there was no security to make sure it stayed where I left it.

Not trying to be difficult, but why would you want to leave anything for someone to steal?
2017 Ford F350 Crew Cab 6.7L 4x4 DRW

ctilsie242
Explorer
Explorer
This is on private property, and all permits are present. This is only on weekends, so it isn't a place I am living at. For a dump station, I can get a "stool bus" to come by. Water isn't too hard to get in either.

When I move to a TC or a class "B", there are dump stations on my way home, so sewage and potable water are not issues.

What I'd like to find out is, if someone sets up a camp for this long, what they would consider doing. For security, the generator goes with my vehicle, and I have some locking chests. However, I am wondering if anyone has used a larger tent like a ShelterLogic or a "pavilion" tent in this setting.

DrewE
Explorer
Explorer
It's not clear to me why you'd want something bigger than your hypothetical class B at this festival. Probably that's just my lack of understanding. I'd think you could just drive it there for the weekend and drive home afterwards and not need to leave much set up there. If you want storage, any sort of cargo trailer or shed or whatever would seem to me to be sufficient.

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
You're not talking about boondocking on public land for months at a time, right? As far as I know, that is not permitted. On private land, are you thinking about doing without hookups (especially sewage) for that period of time?

Before you buy the rig, maybe try discussing this idea with landowners in the areas that interest you.

You may also have to deal with the county planning or zoning folks -- there may be permits required.

Once you find a spot that will suit your needs, the rig will follow -- for example, if there are hookups, you may be able to get away with a very minimal setup, since you won't need big waste water tanks. If there are no hookups, you will need tanks and will need to find a dump station nearby.

Good luck, and keep us posted!
2012 Fun Finder X-139 "Boondock Style" (axle-flipped and extra insulation)
2013 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road (semi-beefy tires and components)
Our trips -- pix and text
About our trailer
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single list."