cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Are inspections essential or not?

canuckystan
Explorer
Explorer
I'm landing on a 2007 Winnebago Access 29 Class C V10 with only 8000 miles on it, original owner, stored inside with maintenance receipts and new tires (second set because first ones got too old). Price is $48K which seems about right compared to others.

RV inspection will cost me $400 and from what I can tell, they just ensure all the systems are working, do a visual to spot any leaks, but they don't test drive it, or do much of anything on the mechanical side.

I'm pretty sure I can see if the fridge, stove, etc., are working, and if it runs fine and have a look at the oil and the trans fluid (if there's a dipstick) and check brake discs. And so on.

Am I missing something? I'm considering skipping the inspection and just spending an hour or two with the owner and checking all the systems.

Or is this just too much money to skip an inspection?
13 REPLIES 13

Chum_lee
Explorer
Explorer
"Am I missing something?"

One question I would have for the previous owner, "So . . . . why are you selling it?" Pay very close attention to the answer because private parties don't always answer honestly. Does the answer given match what you see when YOU inspect it? You are looking at an essentially new garaged vehicle with some time on it.

That said, a simple functional check of all the RV systems (both coach and chassis) A/C, generator, refrigerator, batteries, leaks, etc. (time oriented wear items mostly) should suffice. Look very carefully for previously repaired accident/water damage. If you don't feel comfortable doing that, IMO it would be best to have it inspected. If you do and if everything checks out, it sounds like you found a good deal. Negotiating the price down a little could only sweeten the deal for you. Enjoy!

Chum lee

ol__yeller
Explorer II
Explorer II
I spent the $400 to have our Class C inspected prior to purchase. It was the best $400 I ever spent on an RV. It took them about 3 hours for the house and chassis inspection. They checked all systems, inspected the roof and seams for leaks and put the rig up on a lift to inspect the suspension and brakes. They also did a visual inspection on the engine compartment and generator as well as checking all fluid levels. All they found was a broken clip on the awning and a leaking check valve on the HWT and the tires were Michelins on recall so they needed replacement.

I didn't see any of the minor issues they found during my initial inspection. I suspect my eyes were clouded with anticipation of all the fun trips we were going to have. I have owned several RVs prior to that one and I am a fair wrench when it comes to things mechanical. My issues were very minor and didn't impede the sale at all but the peace of mind knowing everything was double checked, first by me and then by them insured a good reliable purchase. That was confirmed by how well the coach has held up over the years following.
I am NOT a mechanic although I do play one in my garage!

ron_dittmer
Explorer
Explorer
I would not pay anyone to do an inspection if I felt confident to know what to inspect for myself. It is not hard, especially if you have owned a motor home before. You already know areas of concern, and inspect for those concerns. Simple failures with simple fixes would not count to me.

As far as 8000 miles on a 11 year old 29 foot Aspect stored indoors, for $48,000. That sounds like a real "Gem" to me. I would have to find some very serious issues to pass it up. If that is the asking price, I would try to negotiate it down another $5000, but would not let the price interfere with the purchase.....assuming you don't find a serious problem. The only common serious problem would be water damage. Also look for undercarriage damage, any kind of physical damage and split seam work. You don't need to pay someone $400 to check for those things. Cracked-up caulk on the roof would be fine as long as there are no water stains inside, nor a musty odor. The caulk may have cracked while inside being stored. If buying the rig with cracked caulk, take care of it immediately.

klutchdust
Explorer II
Explorer II
SDcampowneroperator wrote:
canuckystan wrote:
No warranties - if something breaks after I drive away, that's my problem.
Then get a mobile rv tech to look it over. These guys have seen everything, from every Mfgr and type of rv. They have nothing to gain or lose.

X2 also be sure someone gets on the roof . I would pay a mobile mechanic if I couldn't do it myself. Who is the inspector?

SDcampowneroper
Explorer
Explorer
canuckystan wrote:
Then get a mobile rv tech to look it over. These guys have seen everything, from every Mfgr and type of rv. They have nothing to gain or lose.

canuckystan
Explorer
Explorer

SDcampowneroper
Explorer
Explorer
Worthwhile of the inspector warranties his work. If not, its just opinion.

Isaac-1
Explorer
Explorer
From what I know of RV inspections a $400 one will likely only cover basic items, a detailed inspection would likely cost $750+. The question is do you have enough experience with RV systems to spot potential problems? If the inspector spots one moderate to major issue, the cost of the inspection has paid for itself. Do you know to check date codes on tires, how about checking the refrigerator coils for signs of leakage, or checking electrical system for ground faults or hot skin. How about checking for leaks the propane system by attaching a manometer to the stove burner? How about the date codes on those $100 propane and CO alarms that should be replaced every 5 years? ...

MDKMDK
Explorer
Explorer
Wasn't used much if it's only done 8000 miles in 11 years. Where did it go, and was it one long trip, or a bunch of short ones?
Lack of use can be as damaging to engine and chassis components as too much mileage. If you think it runs well, and everything works, I'd only be concerned about the stuff you can't see easily, like caulking/sealants/rubber seals, and internal/external engine components.
It would be your call at that point.
This link talks about what to do with a vehicle that's been sitting for a long time. It might help you decide.
https://forums.anandtech.com/threads/car-has-been-sitting-for-10-years.114743/
Mike. Comments are anecdotal or personal opinions, and worth what you paid for them.
2018 (2017 Sprinter Cab Chassis) Navion24V + 2016 Wrangler JKU (sold @ ????)
2016 Sunstar 26HE, V10, 3V, 6 Speed (sold @ 4600 miles)
2002 Roadtrek C190P (sold @ 315,000kms)

K_Charles
Explorer
Explorer
It sounds like you are doing an inspection so you must think there should be one. Someone has to look at it, if you can do it you'll save $400

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
YOU have the expertise, YOU can inspect and buy. An inspector inspects what you pay him/her to inspect....no more, no less. Yes, you are missing an impartial opinion.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

DrewE
Explorer
Explorer
Only you can answer that for sure. For many people, the inspection is a good idea, but it's not as though there's something magical about inspectors (besides experience) that enables them to see things you couldn't see for yourself if you looked.

800 miles a year is not very many miles. I would suggest going in with the expectation that the chassis will have problems, if any, more typical of a ten year old vehicle rather than an 8000 mile vehicle. In particular, I would not be at all surprised if the brake calipers tend to be sticky from lack of use, and need to be rebuilt or replaced. Similarly, the belts and hoses and so forth are also all ten years old (unless they've been replaced).

Good luck whatever you decide!

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
It depends on how versed you are at doing the insp. yourself.
Frankly, with only 8K and stored inside, I would not worry about brakes (easy to fix) but I would budget for new tires and check all hoses, fuel lines, belts and other rubber parts on the chassis for dry rot.
Then just make sure all systems work esp the fridge and fill with water and make sure there are no leaks.
Sounds like a great find!!