Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Is this a powerful enough Generator for me?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Is this a powerful enough Generator for me?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Next
brianosaur

Long Island

View Profile

Posted: 03/06/18 11:51am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

TT has a 13500btu air conditioner.

This Westinghouse 2200 watt seems very reasonable priced at $480. Surge 2200 & runs 1800. Big selling pt is only 52dB

[image]

It claims it can power a 1350 BTU air conditioner with ease.

I realized I probably can't run the microwave or a coffee maker simultaneously with the AC, however will I be able to use a television the lights etc?

I am hoping to make a breathable enclosure for it, so to run it even during quiet hours when noisy generators are not allowed.

bikendan

Camano Island, Wash.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/06/18 12:19pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Personally I wouldn't have any 2000w/2200w inverter generator that wasn't parallel capable.
But this one has an odd parallel setup.

Dan- Firefighter">, Shawn- Musician/Entrepreneur">, Zoe- Faithful Golden Retriever(RIP">), 2014 Ford F150 Ecoboost, 2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255 w/Equalizer and Prodigy, and 5 Mtn. bikes and 2 Road bikes

K Charles

Connecticut

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/06/18 12:28pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We have a powerhouse that is 2200 serge and 2000 run. It always ran the AC in our TT with other things running. If you were making toast and coffee at the same time the AC started the voltage would drop but it worked. One day high in the Rockies in the high 90s the AC would not start.

Will it work, maybe. Will it work good, maybe not.

ktmrfs

Portland, Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 03/06/18 12:32pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

brianosaur wrote:

This Westinghouse 2200 watt seems very reasonable priced at $480. Surge 2200 & runs 1800. Big selling pt is only 52dB

[image]

I realized I probably can't run the microwave or a coffee maker simultaneously with the AC, however will I be able to use a television the lights etc?

I am hoping to make a breathable enclosure for it, so to run it even during quiet hours when noisy generators are not allowed.

the question is not if it will run the AC but will it START the AC. with these smaller generators, that's the big issue. It can take 50A to start an AC at high temps, and often these generators can't do that.

And as far as claims, it's probably the only 2000/2200VA generator I've seen where they say it will run a 13.5KBTU AC. That would be a big clue to me. Honda, Yamaha etc. do not list running a 13KBTU AC as something their smaller generators are capable of. And experience says they are pretty much correct. Unless your lucky with a low amp high effiency AC unit or something like a micro-air easy start, your taking a big chance that when you need it most it won't start the AC.

If it does start the AC, it will likely keep it running if nothing else is on in the trailer.

Sea level, 80F very well may start and run the AC. run the temps up to the high 90's, or go above 2000Ft or so, another story may grunt for a while then give up and not start.

If your interested in it, go to home depot on a HOT day, 95F or more, with the trailer, and have them hook it up and try to start the AC. run it for 5 minutes or so. then shut if off and wait 5 minutes and repeat a few times. If it gives up any of those times you know the answer!

2011 Keystone Outback 295RE
2004 14' bikehauler with full living quarters
2015.5 Denali 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison
2004.5 Silverado 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison passed on to our Son!

Lwiddis

Los Angeles :(

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/06/18 01:45pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have this generator. Works great.....as a back up to my solar system. It won't start my AC but should with a soft start kit.

2015 Winnebago 2101DS TT & Tahoe LTZ, 300 watts WindyNation solar-parallel & MPPT, Trojan T-125s. TALL flagpole for US flag. Prefer USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, USF&WS, state & county camps. Bicyclist! 14 year Army vet - 11B40 then 11A - old MOS 1542 & 1560.

Ron3rd

Upland, CA USA

View Profile

Posted: 03/06/18 02:20pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It will beg for mercy at full throttle. I would not recommend it. Spend a few hundred more and get a Champion 3100

2016 6.7 CTD 2500 BIG HORN MEGA CAB
2013 Forest River 3001W Windjammer
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

"I have this plan to live forever; so far my plan is working"

Desert Captain

Tucson

View Profile

Posted: 03/06/18 02:39pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

"I am hoping to make a breathable enclosure for it, so to run it even during quiet hours when noisy generators are not allowed."

I've got bad news for the OP... Campground quiet time does not mean no noisy generators, it means NO Generators may be run regardless of how "quiet" you think yours will ultimately be. It is hard to imagine that you can silence any generator with an enclosure.

[emoticon]

SoundGuy

S Ontario

View Profile

Posted: 03/06/18 02:44pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

brianosaur wrote:

Hmmmm, claimed to be quieter, lighter, and more powerful than the venerable Honda EU2000i which has a 98.5 cc engine, the new Honda EU2200 which has a 121 cc engine, yet this Westinghouse has a 79 cc engine - which do you think stands the best chances of successfully starting your A/C? [emoticon]

It's a pretty blue though. [emoticon]

Lynnmor

Red Lion

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/06/18 03:29pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you build an enclosure, check oil temperature after a long term run under a heavy load with and without that enclosure. I have seen extremely black oil from generators run in those conditions.

Boon Docker

Mountain Foothills of Southern Alberta

View Profile

Posted: 03/06/18 03:34pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

According to the Q&A on that website two people say it will not power a 13.5 AC unit.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Is this a powerful enough Generator for me?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS